Thumbprint heart magnets are an easy heart craft and homemade gift idea that kids (or adults) can make. Thumbprint heart glass gem magnets are a fun thumbprint heart craft perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day.
Simple homemade keepsakes like these DIY thumbprint heart magnets are always a favorite with friends and family. Fingerprint heart refrigerator magnets are a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or a birthday for kids (or adults) to make. My daughter and I created this gorgeous heart craft idea when we made the first fingerprint art magnets in 2017. Scroll down to learn how to make heart magnet glass gem crafts with children. Or, look at this list of thumbprint heart craft ideas for even more handmade keepsake gift ideas kids (and adults) can make.
Related: Heart Candle Holder Craft
DIY Fingerprint Heart Craft Supplies
Gather the following craft supplies to make thumbprint heart magnets.
- Cardstock – bright white heavyweight paper
- Fingerprint ink pads
- Extra-large clear glass gems
- Small craft scissors
- Mod Podge and foam brush
- Craft magnets
Related: Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
Thumbprint Heart Magnet Craft Step-by-Step Directions
Make fingerprint or thumbprint hearts and turn them into glass gem magnets following the easy step-by-step directions below. You can also make thumbprint necklaces or thumbprint keychains. Click on the link for the tutorial.
1. Make thumbprint or fingerprint heart art.
Make fingerprints or thumbprints to make a heart for fingerprint art magnets. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press your thumb (or a child’s thumb) into a fingerprint ink pad.
- Next, gently press the thumb with ink onto bright white cardstock.
- Then, press your thumb into a finger ink pad to reapply the ink.
- Tilt your thumb slightly and press it on the paper to complete the thumbprint heart.
- Repeat the above steps to make more fingerprint hearts, keeping at least two to three inches of space between each thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
2. Glue a glass gem on top of each fingerprint heart.
- Place a drop of clear-drying glue on the glass gem’s back (flat side).
- A little bit goes a long way–don’t use too much glue, or it can smear the thumbprint heart and cause it to blur.
- Next, put the glass gem on the fingerprint heart–glue side down–to attach it to the thumbprint.
- Press down on the glass gem to distribute the glue evenly underneath it, and remove any air bubbles.
- Allow the glue to dry–overnight is best.
3. Cut away the remaining paper from each thumbprint heart craft.
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away any paper that remains around the glass gem, as shown in the video below. (It doesn’t need to be perfect.)
- If the paper lifts away from the glass gem while cutting it, glue it down again in the next step.
4. Glue a magnet to each flat glass marble with a fingerprint heart to complete each thumbprint heart magnet craft.
- Use a foam brush to paint clear drying glue on the back of the heart art (the back of the glass gem), as shown in the glass gem magnet video tutorial.
- Go over the edges of the paper to ensure they are glued down.
- Place glass gem glue side down onto a magnet and allow the thumbprint heart magnets to dry overnight.
How to Make Thumbprint Heart Magnets Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Watch the video tutorial below to see how my daughter and I made the thumbprint heart magnets shown in the photographs.
Related: Heart-Shaped Scavenger Hunt
More Fingerprint Heart Art and Craft Ideas
Make Thumb-Buggy fingerprint love bug cards to go with your thumbprint magnets. We have even provided message ideas for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and many other occasions.
Pop over to look at this gorgeous collection of heart art–click on the link to see them all!
We have rounded up a slew of thumbprint and fingerprint heart craft and gift ideas that moms, dads, and grandparents will love! The cute heart craft ideas on this list include step-by-step instructions and are fun to make at home or in the classroom with children from toddlers to teens. And best of all, most of them make great handmade gift ideas.
Make a handprint art keepsake with a thumbprint heart sitting in the palm. A homemade thumbprint craft that parents and grandparents will love!
More Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
For even more heart craft gift ideas and projects for kids (from toddlers and preschoolers to teens) and adults–check out the ideas below!
- Love Bugs Heart Craft
- DIY Heart Leaf Lanterns
- Personalized Heart Candle Holder
- Quadruple Heart Candle Holder
- Easy Heart Sewing Projects for Beginners
- Heart with Celtic Knot Woodburn Tutorial
- Salt Dough Heart with Handprint and Footprint
- Tissue Paper Decoupage Heart Picture Frame
- Heart Tree
- Hanging Heart Suncatcher Prism
- Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
Thumbprint Heart Craft Gift Idea
Thumbprint heart magnets are a fun heart thumbprint craft, and gift idea friends and family will LOVE!
Mom, dad, and grandparents always cherish handmade gifts from their children and grandchildren. Heart magnets make an easy gift idea that kids can make!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Heart Magnets, You Might Also Like:
- Love Birds Sewing Tutorial with Free Printable Pattern
- Fingerprint Art Magnets
- How to Make a Fairy Garden Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 15 Backyard Pallet Projects with Step by Step Tutorials
- Heart-Shaped Nature Scavenger Hunt