A fingerprint or thumbprint keychain is a unique handmade craft and gift idea even kids can make. Use this easy fingerprint heart keychain tutorial to make one of a kind fingerprint keychain pendants your family will treasure. An easy craft idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, and summer camp!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Related: Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain
Gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart keychain making supplies and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own fingerprint heart keychains or fingerprint heart necklace.
Another fun way to make a fingerprint heart keyring ornament can be found over on Messy Little Moster.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Thumbprint Heart Keychain Supplies
Choose the type of thumbprint heart charm pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart keychains (or thumbprint heart necklaces) from the materials list below.
- Finger ink pads
- Bright white cardstock or heavyweight printer paper
- Mod Podge
- Detail scissors
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon keychain making options (choose at least one from the list below):
- Key ring for thumbprint heart keychains (Note: the square option listed above comes with a lanyard keychain and key ring)
Related: Handmade Gifts Even Kids Can Make
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain Video Tutorial
Step by step directions for making fingerprint heart keychains and fingerprint heart necklaces can be seen in the video below.
More DIY ideas for pendant necklaces and keychain charms
There are lots of fun and easy ways to use pendants to make necklaces and keychain charms. Click on the links for all the DIY details!
DIY Fingerprint Heart Keychain Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step – 1 How to Make a Thumbprint Heart
A fingerprint or thumbprint can be used to make a heart for a necklace pendant. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press finger or thumb into the ink pad again to reapply more ink.
- Tilt finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint Heart to the Glass Cabochon
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a glass cabochon.
- Place glass cabochon with glue on top of the fingerprint heart.
- Allow glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper around the Glass Cabochon
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away the excess paper around the glass cabochon. .
Step 4 – Glue Glass Cabochon with Fingerprint Heart into the Keychain Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a pendant tray.
- Place glass gem with a thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow fingerprint keychain ornament to dry overnight.
Step 5 – Attach Thumbprint Heart Pendant to the Keychain
- Open the split ring and attach the lanyard swivel hook and the thumbprint heart pendant.
- Or, place the pendant on a necklace to make a thumbprint heart necklace!
Thumbprint heart keychain and thumbprint heart necklace pendants
DIY Fingerprint Keychain Gift Idea
Fingerprint and thumbprint heart keychains make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas or a birthday.
Invite your child to use their fingers and thumbs to create one of a kind thumbprint heart keychain and thumbprint heart necklace keepsake gifts that friends and family will treasure for years to come.
Don’t forget to pop over to check out all of the other beautiful gift ideas kids can make and DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Thumbprint Heart Keychains, You May Also Like:
- Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Beautiful Handmade Gifts Even Kids Can Make!
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
- Fingerprint Flower Necklace or Keychain Pendants
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!