A fingerprint or thumbprint keychain is a unique handmade craft and gift idea even kids can make.
Use these step-by-step fingerprint heart keychain instructions to make one-of-a-kind thumbprint keychain pendants that mom, dad, and your family will treasure. Thumbprint heart keychain charms also make a great gift idea for a friend or your child’s favorite teacher. An easy craft idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, and summer camp!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Related: Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain
Gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart keychain-making supplies and follow the easy step-by-step directions to make your fingerprint heart keychains or fingerprint heart necklace.
We have also provided a step-by-step thumbprint heart keychain video tutorial that you can find below the written directions. Another fun way to make a fingerprint heart keyring ornament can be found on Messy Little Moster.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Thumbprint Heart Keychain Supplies
Choose the thumbprint heart charm pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart keychains (or thumbprint heart necklaces) from the materials list below.
- Finger ink pads
- Heavyweight cardstock
- Mod Podge
- Detail scissors
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon keychain making options (choose at least one from the list below):
- Keyring for thumbprint heart keychains (Note: the square option listed above comes with a lanyard keychain and key ring)
Related: Best Heart Art Projects
DIY Fingerprint Heart Keychain Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step – 1 How to Make a Thumbprint Heart
A fingerprint or thumbprint can be used to make a heart for a necklace pendant. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press a finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press finger or thumb into the ink pad again to reapply more ink.
- Tilt finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint Heart into the Glass Cabochon
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a square or oval glass cabochon.
- Place glass cabochon with glue on top of the fingerprint heart.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper around the Glass Cabochon
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away the excess paper around the glass cabochon. .
Step 4 – Glue Glass Cabochon with Fingerprint Heart into the Keychain Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a square or oval pendant tray.
- Place a glass gem with a thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow fingerprint keychain ornament to dry overnight.
Step 5 – Attach Thumbprint Heart Pendant to the Keychain
- Open the split ring and attach the lanyard swivel hook and the thumbprint heart pendant.
- Or, place the pendant on a necklace to make a thumbprint heart necklace!
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain Video Tutorial
Step-by-step directions for making fingerprint heart keychains and fingerprint heart necklaces can be seen in the video below.
More DIY Pendant necklaces and keychain charms
We have come up with a lot more fun and easy ways to use DIY pendants to make necklaces and keychain charms. Click on the links for all the DIY details!
- Fingerprint Art Necklaces or Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms
- Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
- Fingerprint Flower Necklaces or Keychains
- Picture Necklaces or Photo Keychains
More Fingerprint Art & Thumbprint Crafts and Gift Ideas
In addition to the fingerprint and thumbprint jewelry pendant and keychain charm crafts listed above. We have a few other super cool fingerprint art ideas and thumbprint crafts you can try with the kids!
- Fingerprint Art Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Fingerprint Flower Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
- Fingerprint Art Project Ideas
- Four Seasons Handprint and Fingerprint Art Project
- Christmas Wreath Fingerprint Art
- Fingerprint Snowman Art
- Easy Fingerprint Lights Christmas Tree Cards
- Thumb-Buggy Fingerprint Love Bug (pictured below)
Related: Heart Art Salt Painting
DIY Fingerprint Keychain Gift Idea
Fingerprint and thumbprint heart keychains make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or a birthday.
Invite your child to use their fingers and thumbs to create a one-of-a-kind thumbprint heart keychain and thumbprint heart necklace keepsake gifts that friends and family will treasure for years to come.
Fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains also make a wonderful handmade keychain charm gift that kids can make.
Simple crafts like these fingerprint keepsake gifts are always a favorite with friends and family. Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.