A fingerprint or thumbprint keychain is a unique handmade craft and gift idea for kids and adults.
Use these step-by-step fingerprint heart keychain instructions to make one-of-a-kind thumbprint charms and pendants that moms, dads, friends, lovers, and family will treasure. Thumbprint heart keychains are a simple craft, and homemade gift idea, that kids or adults can make at home or in the classroom. They also make fun homemade backpack charms and pendants to give to friends or make at summer camp as a keepsake to bring home. Or, make thumbprint heart magnets–another easy handmade gift idea and fun craft idea for all ages.
This easy heart craft idea is perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparent’s Day, Christmas, summer camp, and more! DIY thumbprint heart keychain charms make an excellent gift for a spouse, partner, lover, friend, or even your child’s favorite teacher. And they are also a fun Valentine’s Day gift kids can make and hand out to their classmates and friends. My daughter gave them to her classmates on Valentine’s Day a few years ago, and I still see them adorning the backpacks of her classmates and friends. You might also enjoy this list of homemade gifts kids can make.
Related: Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain
Gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart keychain-making supplies and follow the easy step-by-step directions to make DIY fingerprint heart keychains or fingerprint heart necklaces.
You can find the step-by-step thumbprint heart keychain video tutorial below the written instructions and the keychain charm craft supply list directly below. Another fun way to make a fingerprint heart keyring ornament can be found on Messy Little Moster.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Related: Fingerprint Flower Necklace and Keychain Pendants
DIY Thumbprint Heart Keychain Supplies
Choose the thumbprint heart charm pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart keychains (or thumbprint heart necklaces) from the materials list below.
- Finger ink pads
- Heavyweight cardstock
- Mod Podge
- Detail scissors
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon keychain-making options (choose at least one from the list below):
- Keyring for thumbprint heart keychains (Note: the square option listed above comes with a lanyard keychain and key ring)
Related: Best Heart Art Projects
DIY Fingerprint Heart Keychain Charm and Pendant Step-By-Step Tutorial
Collect thumbprint heart charm and pendant craft supplies and read through the instructions before starting this thumbprint heart craft, so you know the steps involved and what to expect. The step-by-step video tutorial is posted below the written DIY instructions.
1. Make a thumbprint or fingerprint heart.
Use fingertips or thumbs to stamp prints into the shape of a heart for each necklace pendant. Use the easy instructions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press a finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press a finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press a finger or thumb into the ink pad to reapply more ink.
- Tilt the finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
2. Glue the fingerprint heart onto the back of a glass cabochon.
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a square or oval glass cabochon.
- A little bit of glue goes a long way, don’t use too much, or it can smear the thumbprint heart art.
- Next, put the glass cabochon with glue on its flat side directly on top of the fingerprint heart.
- Press down to distribute the glue under the cabochon and remove any air bubbles.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
3. Cut away any remaining paper around the glass cabochon
- Use small scissors to trim and remove any excess paper surrounding the glass cabochon, as shown in the fingerprint heart charm video tutorial below.
4. Glue a glass cabochon with a fingerprint heart into the keychain pendant tray.
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a square or oval pendant tray.
- Place a glass gem with a thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow the fingerprint keychain ornament to dry overnight.
5. Attach the thumbprint heart pendant to the keychain ring and clasp.
- Open the split ring and attach the lanyard swivel hook and the thumbprint heart pendant.
- Or, place the pendant on a necklace to make a thumbprint heart necklace!
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain Video Tutorial
Watch the DIY video tutorial below for step-by-step instructions for making fingerprint heart keychains and thumbprint heart necklaces. You might also enjoy making fingerprint flower keychains and necklaces.
Related: Personalized Heart Candle Holder Gift Idea
More DIY Pendant necklaces and keychain charms
We have developed several fun and easy ways to use DIY pendants to make necklaces and keychain charms. Click on the links for all the DIY details!
- Fingerprint Art Necklaces or Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms
- Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
- Fingerprint Flower Necklaces or Keychains
- Picture Necklaces or Photo Keychains
Related: How to Start and Finish a Beaded Necklace or Bracelet
More Fingerprint Art & Thumbprint Crafts, and Gift Ideas
In addition to the fingerprint and thumbprint jewelry pendant and keychain charm crafts listed above. We have a few other super cool fingerprint art ideas and thumbprint crafts you can try with the kids!
- Fingerprint Art Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Fingerprint Flower Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
- Fingerprint Art Project Ideas
- Four Seasons Handprint and Fingerprint Art Project
- Christmas Wreath Fingerprint Art
- Fingerprint Snowman Art
- Easy Fingerprint Lights Christmas Tree Cards
- Thumb-Buggy Fingerprint Love Bug (pictured below)
Related: Heart Art Salt Painting
DIY Fingerprint Keychain Gift Idea
Fingerprint and thumbprint heart keychains make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or a birthday.
Invite your child to use their fingers and thumbs to create a one-of-a-kind thumbprint heart keychain and fingerprint heart necklace keepsake gifts that friends and family will treasure for years to come.
Fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains also make a wonderful handmade keychain charm gift that kids can make.
Simple crafts like these fingerprint keepsake gifts are always a favorite with friends and family. Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Thumbprint Heart Keychains, You Might Also Like the Following Arts and Crafts:
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Valentine Crafts and Gifts Kids Can Make
- Gifts for Dad Kids Can Make
- Valentine’s Day Art Projects for Kids
- Heart Art Projects
- Homemade Gift Ideas Kids Can Make
Leave a Comment