A fingerprint or thumbprint keychain is a unique handmade craft and gift idea even kids can make. Use this easy fingerprint heart keychain tutorial to make one of a kind fingerprint keychain pendants your family will treasure. An easy craft idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, and summer camp!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Related: Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain
Gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart keychain making supplies and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own fingerprint heart keychains or fingerprint heart necklace.
We have also provided a step by step thumbprint heart keychain video tutorial that you can find below the written directions. Another fun way to make a fingerprint heart keyring ornament can be found over on Messy Little Moster.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Thumbprint Heart Keychain Supplies
Choose the type of thumbprint heart charm pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart keychains (or thumbprint heart necklaces) from the materials list below.
- Finger ink pads
- Heavyweight cardstock
- Mod Podge
- Detail scissors
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon keychain making options (choose at least one from the list below):
- Key ring for thumbprint heart keychains (Note: the square option listed above comes with a lanyard keychain and key ring)
Related: Best Heart Art Projects
DIY Fingerprint Heart Keychain Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step – 1 How to Make a Thumbprint Heart
A fingerprint or thumbprint can be used to make a heart for a necklace pendant. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press finger or thumb into the ink pad again to reapply more ink.
- Tilt finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint Heart to the Glass Cabochon
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a square or oval glass cabochon.
- Place glass cabochon with glue on top of the fingerprint heart.
- Allow glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper around the Glass Cabochon
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away the excess paper around the glass cabochon. .
Step 4 – Glue Glass Cabochon with Fingerprint Heart into the Keychain Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a square or oval pendant tray.
- Place glass gem with a thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow fingerprint keychain ornament to dry overnight.
Step 5 – Attach Thumbprint Heart Pendant to the Keychain
- Open the split ring and attach the lanyard swivel hook and the thumbprint heart pendant.
- Or, place the pendant on a necklace to make a thumbprint heart necklace!
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
Thumbprint heart keychain and thumbprint heart necklace pendants
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Keychain Video Tutorial
Step by step directions for making fingerprint heart keychains and fingerprint heart necklaces can be seen in the video below.
More DIY Pendant necklaces and keychain charms
We have come up with a lot more fun and easy ways to use DIY pendants to make necklaces and keychain charms. Click on the links for all the DIY details!
More Fingerprint Art & Thumbprint Crafts and Gift Ideas
In addition to the fingerprint and thumbprint jewelry pendant and keychain charm crafts listed above. We have a few other super cool fingerprint art ideas and thumbprint crafts you can try with the kids!
- Fingerprint Art Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Fingerprint Flower Magnets
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
- Fingerprint Art Project Ideas
- Four Seasons Handprint and Fingerprint Art Project
- Christmas Wreath Fingerprint Art
- Fingerprint Snowman Art
- Easy Fingerprint Lights Christmas Tree Cards
- Thumb-Buggy Fingerprint Love Bug (pictured below)
Related: Heart Art Salt Painting
DIY Fingerprint Keychain Gift Idea
Fingerprint and thumbprint heart keychains make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas or a birthday.
Invite your child to use their fingers and thumbs to create one of a kind thumbprint heart keychain and thumbprint heart necklace keepsake gifts that friends and family will treasure for years to come.
Fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains also make a wonderful handmade keychain charm gift that kids can make.
Simple crafts like these fingerprint keepsake gifts are always a favorite with friends and family. Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Thumbprint Heart Keychains, You May Also Like:
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Valentine Crafts and Gifts Kids Can Make
- Gifts for Dad Kids Can Make
- Valentine’s Day Art Projects for Kids
- Heart Art Projects
- Homemade Gift Ideas Kids Can Make
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, learning through play, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…