A fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklace is a unique handmade craft and gift idea even kids can make. Use this easy fingerprint heart necklace jewelry making tutorial to make one of a kind fingerprint necklace pendants your family will treasure. Perfect keepsake craft for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas, and summer camp!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Related: Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Necklace
Gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklace jewelry making supplies that you would like to use below and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own fingerprint heart necklace.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Thumbprint Heart Necklace Jewelry Making Supplies
Choose the type of photo pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart necklaces and/or thumbprint heart keychains from the materials list below.
- Heavyweight paper (printer paper or cardstock – bright white is best)
- Finger ink pads
- Mod Podge
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry making options:
- Pre-made necklaces for pendants (choose at least one from the list below or make your own necklace):
Related: Mother-Daughter Necklace Set
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Necklace Video Tutorial
Step by step directions for making fingerprint heart necklaces and thumbprint heart keychains can be seen in the video below.
Related: Ultimate Family Gift Guide
Fingerprint Heart Necklace Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step – 1 Make a Thumbprint Heart
A fingerprint or thumbprint can be used to make a heart for a necklace pendant. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
- Press finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press finger or thumb into the ink pad again to reapply more ink.
- Tilt finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
Step 2 – Glue the Thumbprint Heart to the Glass Cabochon
- Place a drop of clear-drying glue on the back (flat side) of glass cabochon.
- Place the cabochon on top of the fingerprint heart glue side down.
- Allow glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away the excess paper around the glass cabochon. .
Step 4 – Glue Glass Cabochon into the Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a pendant tray.
- Place glass gem with thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow fingerprint necklace pendant to dry overnight.
Step 5 – Place Fingerprint Pendant onto a Necklace
- Thread a necklace through the loop of the thumbprint heart pendant to finish your fingerprint heart necklace.
- Bead your own necklace or use one of the premade necklace options below.
- Note: If you bead your own necklace make sure to place the thumbprint heart pendant onto the necklace when it is halfway finished, otherwise it may not fit over the beads to hang down in the middle.
Fingerprint Necklace Gift Idea
DIY Thumbprint heart necklaces or thumbprint heart keychains make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas or a birthday.
Don’t forget to pop over to check out all of the other beautiful gift ideas kids can make and DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Thumbprint Heart Necklaces, You May Also Like:
- Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Beautiful Handmade Gifts Kids Make
- Ultimate Family Gift Guide
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!