A fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklace is a unique handmade craft and gift idea that kids (or adults) can make.
Use this easy fingerprint heart necklace jewelry making tutorial to make one of a kind thumbprint heart necklace fingerprint pendants and charms that your family will treasure. Fingerprint art necklaces are quick and easy keepsake craft ideas for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas, and summer camp!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Related: Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
How to Make a Fingerprint or Thumbprint Necklace Craft
Choose the type of necklace pendants you would like to use from the materials list below and then gather the fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklace jewelry making supplies you need.
Written step by step directions and a thumbprint heart video tutorial can be found in the section below the jewelry making supplies. Another fun thumbprint heart necklace gift idea can be found on Mama Miss.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Thumbprint Heart Necklace Jewelry Making Supplies
Choose the type of photo pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make thumbprint heart necklaces and/or thumbprint heart keychains from the materials list below.
- Heavy cardstock – bright white is best)
- Finger ink pads
- Mod Podge and/or Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry making options:
- Pre-made necklaces for pendants (choose at least one from the list below or make your own necklace):
Related: Mother-Daughter Necklace Set
Fingerprint Heart Necklace Craft Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step – 1 Make a Thumbprint Heart
A fingerprint or thumbprint can be used to make a heart for a necklace pendant. Use the easy directions below to make a fingerprint or a thumbprint heart.
How to make a Thumbprint Heart:
- Press finger or thumb into a finger ink pad.
- Gently press the finger or thumb with ink onto the paper.
- Press finger or thumb into the ink pad again to reapply more ink.
- Tilt finger or thumb slightly and press down again to make a fingerprint or thumbprint heart.
- Allow fingerprint ink to dry before moving on to step 2.
Step 2 – Glue the Thumbprint Heart to the Glass Cabochon
- Place a drop of diamond glaze adhesive or clear-drying glue on the back (flat side) of glass cabochon.
- Place the cabochon on top of the fingerprint heart glue side down.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away the excess paper around the glass cabochon.
Step 4 – Glue Glass Cabochon into the Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the inside of a pendant tray.
- Place glass gem with thumbprint heart into the pendant tray and press down to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow fingerprint necklace pendant to dry overnight.
Step 5 – Place Fingerprint Pendant onto a Necklace
- Thread a necklace through the loop of the thumbprint heart pendant to finish your fingerprint heart necklace.
- Bead your own necklace or use one of the pre-made necklace options below.
- Note: If you bead your own necklace make sure to place the thumbprint heart pendant onto the necklace when it is halfway finished, otherwise it may not fit over the beads to hang down in the middle.
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Necklace DIY Step by Step Video Tutorial
Step by step directions for making fingerprint heart necklaces and thumbprint heart keychains can be seen in the video below.
Fingerprint Necklace Gift Idea Kids Can Make
DIY Thumbprint heart necklaces, thumbprint heart keychains, and thumbprint heart magnets make an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day. They are also a fun keepsake heart craft to make at summer camp!
Don’t forget to pop over to check out all of the other beautiful gift ideas kids can make and DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family!
If you are making thumbprint heart necklaces to give as gifts, make fingerprint love bug cards to go with them to complete the gift.
We have come up with lots of fun thumb-buggy card message ideas you can use to personalize your gift for several occasions including Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
More Fingerprint and Thumbprint Craft Ideas
- Fingerprint Art Magnets
- Thumbprint heart magnets
- Fingerprint Art Necklaces
- DIY Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms
- Fingerprint Flower Necklaces or Keychains
- Easy Fingerprint Lights Christmas Cards
- Best Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids
- Cute Fingerprint Snowman
- Christmas Wreath Fingerprint Art
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree Art
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
If you Liked Thumbprint Heart Necklaces, You May Also Like:
- Heart Art Projects (and Cute Heart Crafts, Too!)
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Beautiful Handmade Gifts Kids Make
- Ultimate Family Gift Guide
Join the Rhythms of Play Community!
Enter your email address to receive our newsletter AND immediate access to our Free Art Template Download Page!