Heart candle holders make a unique centerpiece and gift idea for Valentine’s Day or an anniversary.
Learn how to paint a heart on a candle holder with this step-by-step tutorial. Once finished, these gorgeous faux stained glass heart votives and candle holders make a great handmade gift idea. You can even personalize them! Heart candle holders also make lovely DIY home decor.
Related: Quadruple Heart Candle Holders
Hand Painted Faux Stained Glass Heart Candle Holders
Use glass paint to create gorgeous homemade faux-stained glass heart candle holders. Creating stained glass heart-shaped decorations on votive candle holders is easy. Anyone that can draw or trace can paint a faux stained glass heart.
DIY candle holders make great gift ideas for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and anniversaries. They also make a lovely centerpiece. They can even be personalized!
Related: Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
DIY Heart Votive Candle Holder Materials
- 3-inch square Votives
- Glass Paint
- Glass paint outline tube (black) (optional)
- Small heart template
Related: Heart Art Salt Painting
How to Paint a Heart on a Candle Holder: Step-By-Step Instructions
Step 1 – Tape the small heart template to the inside of a candle holder
- Download and print our small heart template or use a black glass paint outline tube to draw your own heart.
- If you are using the small heart template, cut it out and tape it to the square votive inside to hold it in place.
- Tip: Cut the small heart template to fit inside the square votive, so the bottom edge of the template rests on the bottom inside the square window of the candle holder. This makes it easy to reuse over and over again without having to measure it each time.
Step 2 – Trace or Draw Heart with Glass Paint Outline Tube
- Use a black glass paint outline tube to trace the small heart template, or hand-draw your own design onto the outside of the candle holder.
- Make quadruple heart candle holders by painting a heart on each side of a square votive candle holder. Click on the link to see examples.
- Allow the black outline to dry for at least 24 hours before moving on to the next step.
Step 3 – Paint the heart with glass paint to create a faux-stained glass heart.
- Use glass paint to paint and color the heart.
- Painting with glass paint is a bit different than other paints. Load your brush with glass paint and dab as much as you can into the black outline of the heart. The more paint, the better. If you brush it on in a thin layer, you might not be able to see the heart very well once it dries.
- For best results, allow the heart to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Once your faux-stained glass hearts on the candle holders are dry, you can personalize them. Click the link to find out how!
Related: Faux Stained Glass Candle Holders
Faux Stained Glass Heart Candle Holder DIY
Personalize heart candle holders for an extra special touch.
A handmade DIY glass paint heart votive candle holder would make a wonderful centerpiece or homemade gift idea for Valentine’s Day or an anniversary!
For more DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family, click HERE.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!