Anyone that can draw or trace can make a DIY glass paint heart tree. Both kids and adults will enjoy creating their own faux stained glass art windows, suncatchers, and crafts using simple frames and glass paint. This handmade heart tree craft would make a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s day and anniversaries.
Related: Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
How to Make a Faux Stained Glass Heart Tree Craft
My friend Clarissa over at Munchkins and Moms shared some fun Ikea Classroom Hacks using this inexpensive Tolsby frame. The frames sounded so useful I decided to grab a few the next time I was at Ikea.
Before you know it I had come up with another fun way to use these super cool frames. I decided to use them with glass paint to create a gorgeous stained glass suncatcher effect. I think it turned out beautifully don’t you?
You can use these frames and glass paint to make a heart tree, love birds, a simple heart, quadruple heart, a personalized gift, or anything else you desire. There is no limit but the limits of your own imagination.
Click on the link to check out at all of the hand painted candle holders my daughter made!
Related: Keepsake Gifts Kids Can Make
DIY Heart Tree Craft Supplies
Update: This post has been updated to include directions to make this heart tree craft with paint markers or glass paint.
- Ikea Tolsby Frame (any frame that you can paint the glass or plastic insert and display or hang will work)
- Glass Paint or Paint Markers
- Glass paint outline tube (black)
- Paint brushes (If using glass paint)
- Free printable love bird template
- Free heart tree printable template (for personal non-commercial use only–thank you!)
Related: DIY Heart Prism Suncatcher
Related: Heart Love Bugs Craft
DIY Heart Tree Craft Directions
- Print heart tree art or choose another design to print. You can also freehand your own art if you wish.
- Remove protective covering from both sides of one of the two clear plastic inserts that come with the Tolsby Frame.
- Tape the heart tree to one of the clear plastic inserts. (If you make a mistake you can use the other, or you can make two designs and alternate them.)
- Use a black glass paint outline tube to trace your design.
- Allow black outline to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Use glass paint or paint markers to color your design however you like.
How to Use Glass Paint
Painting with glass paint is a bit different than other paints. You want to load your brush and dab it into the black outline to hold it. The more paint the better. If you brush it on you might not be able to see it once it dries. Make sure you use as much paint as you can for the lighter colors or they will be tough to see. For more examples click HERE.
Related: Heart Shape Nature Scavenger Hunt
See, I told you. It really is that easy!
Both kids and adults will enjoy creating their own stained glass art windows and suncatchers using glass paint. Anyone that can draw or trace can do this easy art project. For more ideas don’t forget to check out THIS collection of hand-painted candle holder gift ideas.
This DIY glass paint heart tree would make a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s day and anniversaries. You may also like THIS collection of DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family.
If you liked this heart tree craft you may also enjoy:
- DIY Hand Painted Stained Glass Love Birds with Free Printable Template
- DIY Glass Paint Heart Votive Candle Holder
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Hand Painted Votives
- Beautiful Gifts Kids Can Make
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!