These cute ladybug magnets are a fun refrigerator magnet craft and gift idea for kids and adults.
Use the step-by-step instructions below to learn how to make cute ladybird or ladybug magnets crafts in a rainbow of colors. These colorful ladybugs or ladybird refrigerator magnets are a fun ladybug craft and a great gift idea that kids and adults can make. You might also enjoy making fingerprint art magnets and thumbprint heart magnets with the same glass gems.
Making glass gem refrigerator magnets is a fun DIY project for kids and adults of all ages. Scroll down to see the written instructions and video tutorial to make these cute DIY ladybug magnets–a fun craft project for preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade school kids, teens, and adults. Or, make creepy crawly spider magnet crafts!
Ladybug Refrigerator Magnet Craft Supplies
Here’s a list of the craft supplies needed to make ladybug or ladybird magnet crafts. But because there are a few different ways to paint ladybug magnets, we recommend reading through the directions first to decide the method or technique you will use from the options described in the ladybug craft instructions. Then, gather the ladybug craft supplies you need from the list of options below.
- Extra-large glass gems
- Acrylic paint
- Black paint pens (optional – use black paint pens or black acrylic paint to make ladybug or ladybird markings)
- Paintbrushes (use to apply acrylic paint)
- Craft magnets
- Craft glue, or a glue gun with glue sticks
- Black and white or colored googly eyes
Related: Fingerprint Art Magnets
Ladybug Craft Supply Option Notes:
When we tested using black paint pens vs acrylic paint to paint ladybug or ladybird markings, we discovered that paint pens worked, but they did not create black ladybug markings as strong or clear as regular acrylic paint can.
Because ladybird or ladybug markings made with paint pens can crack, peel, and allow the color of the ladybug to show through the glass gem. With that said, most of the ladybug magnets pictured in this post were made with the black paint pen set listed above. And you can see in the photographs below that the markings are not perfect but work well enough.
How to Make Ladybug Magnets
Learn how to make ladybug refrigerator magnet crafts in a rainbow of colors with the simple step-by-step instructions listed below. Scroll down to have a look at the video tutorial. You might also enjoy this cute DIY hungry caterpillar craft and toy for kids.
1. Paint ladybug (ladybird) markings onto the flat side of each glass gem.
- First, clean the glass gems before beginning this ladybug craft project.
- Then use a paintbrush and acrylic paint, or a fine-tip black paint pen, to add black ladybug or ladybird markings onto the back, or flat side, of each glass gem.
- Please watch the ladybug video craft tutorial in the next section to see how to paint the ladybug spots and markings.
- Allow time for the paint to dry completely before moving on to step 2 in this ladybug craft project.
2. Paint (or pour) acrylic paint over the ladybug or ladybird Spots and markings.
- When the ladybug spots and markings are dry it’s time to cover them with acrylic paint. There are lots of colors to choose from besides red, and a few different ways you can do this.
- First decide if you will paint the ladybug crafts red, choose another color to paint each ladybug magnet craft, or paint the ladybird crafts in a rainbow of colors as shown in the photographs and ladybug craft video tutorial.
- Next, paint over the black spots and markings of each ladybug craft with a paintbrush, or pour acrylic paint over the black ladybug markings on the flat side of each glass gem as shown in the video below.
- Once each ladybug is painted, allow the ladybug magnet crafts to dry before moving on to the next step. (Overnight is best.)
3. Glue a craft magnet onto the bottom (flat side) of each ladybug craft.
- Use craft glue or a glue gun with glue sticks to attach a craft magnet to the dried acrylic paint on the bottom (or flat side of the glass gem) for each ladybug craft.
4. Glue googly eyes onto each ladybug magnet craft.
- Use glue to attach black and white or colored googly eyes onto the face on the top or rounded side of each ladybug (or ladybird) craft as shown in the photograph below.
Ladybug Glass Magnet Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Watch the step-by-step ladybug glass magnet craft tutorial to see how to do each step of this DIY project. You might also enjoy making this cute Bunny Craft.
Ladybug Magnets Craft and Gift Idea
These colorful ladybug magnets are fun to put on refrigerators and anything magnetic. I love how cute they look crawling around on my magnetic whiteboard planner!
Ladybird magnets make it fun to put pictures, children’s artwork, flyers, menus, and important reminders in a place where everyone will see them daily. This simple ladybug craft also makes a great gift idea that kids or adults can make.
Use the same glass gems and craft magnets needed to make this ladybug craft to make any of the other fun refrigerator magnet ideas listed below! And, scroll down for more fun craft ideas for kids and adults. You might also enjoy our spring bucket list of fun activities and things to do in the springtime.
Leave a Comment