Making a Valentines heart prism pony bead suncatcher is an easy fine motor craft for preschoolers to adults. It makes a great gift idea for Valentine’s day or any other special occasion!
These look gorgeous hanging in windows, but also make wonderful pull chains for lights, shades, and fans. When hanging where they catch the sunlight they cast beautiful rainbows all around the room! My daughter always squeals with joy when they appear on our walls.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. This blog receives a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Valentines Heart Prism Pony Bead Suncatcher
There are two ways to make these. One uses a plastic needle while the other uses crimp tubes and crimping pliers. Don’t worry, crimping pliers are inexpensive and simple to use. This article contains directions to make it easy.
You can find the directions for making this with a plastic needle in Pony Bead and Prism Suncatcher. The plastic needle is used to make it easy for young children to make but is not necessary for someone with more developed fine motor skills. You could follow the same basic directions without using the needle if you don’t want to invest in crimping pliers. If you use the needle method you will only be able to string basic pony beads. The needle is too big to fit into the smaller openings of the other types of beads.
For this project, I started and finished the suncatcher while my 3-year-old daughter strung all of the pony beads onto the line. She’s had a lot of fine motor practice so she no longer needs to use a plastic needle.
Valentines Heart Prism Pony Bead Suncatcher Materials
- 40mm Crystal Heart Prism
- Monofilament Fishing Line, 30-Lb.
- Transparent Pony Beads Value Pack Pony Bead Multicolor and/or Mixed Transparent Heart Pony Beads, and/or Faceted Beads.
- Silver Crimp Tube Beads
- Bead Crimper Pliers
Valentines Heart Prism Pony Bead Suncatcher Directions
1. Cut a section of monofilament line about twice and long as you will need. Make it as long or as short as you would like.
2. Place crimp tube/bead on one end of the line. Place heart prism on after the crimp bead.
3. Tuck short end of line into the crimp tube next to the long end of the line. Push the crimp tube towards the heart to make a small loop.
4. Use crimping pliers to squeeze crimp tube shut around both pieces of monofilament line. Trim off the excess line from the short side if needed.
5. String pony beads onto the long end of the monofilament line. There are so many fun ways to do this. You can use one color, two colors, or as many colors as you like. You can put them on randomly, or you can make a pattern. My 3-year-old daughter did a little of both using various pony bead shapes and sizes.
6. To finish: place a crimping tube/bead onto the line followed by a pony bead. [The pony bead will ensure that the rest of the pony beads don’t slip off of the loop.] Slip the other end of the line into the crimping tube. Make sure you leave a big enough loop for the heart to got through. This will make it easy to loop through to hang on a curtain rod if desired. Use crimping pliers to squeeze the crimping tube shut. Cut off the excess line and enjoy your masterpiece!
This heart prism pony bead suncatcher is an easy fine motor craft for preschoolers to adults. It would make a wonderful gift for Valentine’s day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, birthday’s, weddings, anniversaries, or any other special occasion!
You may also like:
- Salt Dough Hand and Foot Keepsake Gift
- You + Me = Love DIY Keepsake Gift
- DIY Heart with Celtic Knot Keepsake Box
- Valentine Watercolor Resist Word Hunt
- Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!