Heart-shaped art projects are fun for kids and adults to make at home or in the classroom for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day.
Do you like making, or painting, heart-shaped art? If you answered yes, you will LOVE the heart arts and crafts we have on this list of heart art projects and painting ideas to share with you. Make heart art for someone you love, or encourage your little artist to create heart-work with the list of inspiring heart art ideas below. You might also enjoy this list of flower art projects and painting ideas for kids and adults of all ages.
Most of these easy heart painting ideas and heart crafts make great gift ideas for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, an anniversary, or just for fun. You might also enjoy these Valentine’s Day Crafts and Gift Ideas.
Heart Arts and Crafts for Kids and Adults
Heart art is fun to make for Valentine’s Day and a fun way to say I love you any time of year. Get our printable heart outline templates to make heart arts and crafts–>HERE! You might enjoy these lists of rainbow arts, crafts, painting ideas, and Saint Patrick’s Day art and craft projects.
What does heart art mean?
When an artist creates art with hearts, it typically means “love.” In other words, the artwork reflects love somehow, both for the viewer and the artist. And this makes heart arts and crafts an excellent gift for family and friends for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparents Day, an anniversary or a birthday, and Christmas.
How do you make heart art?
Heart art is art created with a heart (or several hearts). In other words, arts, crafts, sketches, doodles, and paintings with a heart shape (or several heart shapes) are included in the artwork, shaped into a heart, or made into heart shapes.
We found so many gorgeous heart art and craft projects and painting ideas using simple materials to produce heart-shaped art in a unique variety of ways that we had to break them down into different heart art categories. Click on the creator of each project for complete step-by-step instructions for each heart art painting idea.
We had to place some of these heart arts and crafts into more than one category to make it easy to find the type of DIY heart art or craft project you are looking for. And, of course, we will continue to add more art projects and heart painting ideas as we find them–be sure to bookmark this page and check back to see the new heart projects we have found!
Heart-Shaped Watercolor Art Projects and Painting Ideas
Here’s a list of watercolor heart art projects children and adults of all ages will love. Try the watercolor heart painting ideas on the list below with kids from toddlers to teens at home or in the classroom.
- Color Mixing Surprise Heart Art | Rhythms of Play
- Bleeding Hearts Art Project for Kids | Meri Chery
- Kandinsky Inspired Heart Art | Arty Crafty Kids
- Sunburst Heart Heart | Art Bar
- Flying Heart Balloon Painting | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- Watercolor Valentine Hearts | Art Bar
- Warm and Cool Mosaic Heart Art | A Faithful Attempt
- Newspaper Heart Art Postcards | Art Bar
- Fizzing Heart Art | The Pinterested Parent
- Raised Salt Paint and Watercolor Heart | Rhythms of Play (pictured below)
Related: Rainbow Shamrock Salt Painting
Heart-Shaped Watercolor Resist Painting Ideas (Crayon Wax, Oil Pastel, or Glue as the Resist Medium)
Use watercolor paints and a resist medium to create these easy heart art projects. Watercolor-resist heart art painting ideas add an element of surprise to your heart-shaped art projects. You might also enjoy this watercolor resist STEAM Experiment.
- Watercolor and Glue Resist Muli-Colored Heart Painting | Arty Crafty Kids
- Wax Resist Heart Art | Happy Hooligans for CBC Parents
- Valentine Watercolor Resist Heart Art | Creative Family Fun
- Faux Stained Glass Heart Art (black glue resist) | Artful Parent
- Watercolor Surprise Heart Art | Rhythms of Play (pictured below)
Tempera Paint Heart Art Projects
Get out the tempera paints and invite children from toddlers and preschoolers to teens to paint hearts with fun heart painting ideas for kids and adults like those on the following list.
- Heart Art Symmetry Painting | Artful Parent
- Painted Heart Art for Valentine’s Day | Bless This Mess
- Heart Spin Painting (the creator of this easy heart spin painting used acrylic paint, which is fine, but we recommend using tempera paint instead so you don’t ruin your salad spinner. Tempera paint is water-based and washable, while acrylic is not.) | Projects with Kids Blog
- Valentine Shaving Cream Marbled Heart Art | Hello Wonderful
Crayon, Colored Pencil, Chalk, and Pastel Heart Art Ideas
Use crayons, colored pencils, chalk, and pastels, to draw (and smear) hearts in all shapes and sizes with the heart art ideas included on this fun list of project ideas:
- Radiating Hearts | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- I Give You My Heart Pastel Art | Kinder Art
- Smeared Pastel Heart Art | 2 Soul Sisters
- Heart Chalk Stencil Art for Kids | Buggy, and Buddy
Heart Art Projects with Marker Pens
Get out the washable or permanent marker pens and invite children from toddlers to preschoolers and kindergarteners to teens and adults to create heart art drawings with the ideas on this list:
- Valentine Heart Art with Sharpies and Foil | Happy Hooligans
- Draw Two Hands and One Heart | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- Sharpie and Alcohol Heart Art | Happy Hooligans
- OP Art Hearts | Expressive Monkey
- Heart Print Art | Fun-A-Day
Heart-Shaped Print-Making or Stamping Art
Creating hearts and heart-shaped prints with toilet paper rolls, pipe cleaners, etc., is fun for kids and adults of all ages. Make heart prints with any of the heart-shaped print-making and stamping art ideas below. Fingerprint and thumbprint heart art stamps and prints are included in the next section.
- Heart Printing Abstract Art | Nurturestore
- Cardboard Toilet Paper Roll Heart Stamp Art | Tinkerlab
- Pipe Cleaner Stamped Hearts | Hands On As We Grow
Fingerprint or Thumbprint Heart Art Ideas
Encourage children and adults of all ages to create heart-shaped prints with their fingers and thumbs with any of these creative heart-stamping ideas. “Thumb-buggy” loves you Valentine’s Day cards are always a hit with family and friends. Get the tutorial HERE–> Fingerprint Lovebug Cards. Or, try any of the other ideas below.
- Thumbprint Heart Art and Craft Ideas | Rhythms of Play
- Fingerprint Heart Relief Art | Mum in the Madhouse
- Heart Made from Fingerprint Art | Busy Kids Happy Mom
- Fingerprint Heart Art | Messy Little Monster for Red Ted Art
- Thumbprint Heart Art Glass Magnets | Rhythms of Play (pictured below)
Heart Handprint Art
Make heart art with handprints with this list of ideas. Heart handprint art is always a hit with parents and grandparents and makes a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day.
- Handprint Art Heart Valentine | Burlap and Blue
- I Give You My Heart Handprint Art | Kinder Art
- Daddy Mommy and Me Handprint Art | DIY Fun Ideas
- Valentine Handprint Heart Art | Dali Mama Blog
- Salt dough Handprint Art with Footprint | Rhythms of Play
String Heart Art Ideas
String heart art projects are fun for children and adults to make for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or just for fun! Try any of the heart-shaped string art ideas below.
- Heart String Art Tutorial for Beginners | Feels Like Home
- String Heart Art with Yarn | Repeat Crafter Me
- Heart String Art Project | EzeBreezy Life Simplified
- Ombre Design String Heart Art | Julie Comstock
- Make Heart String Art |Hello, Wonderful
Heart Relief Art Project Ideas
Create heart relief art with any of these fun art projects and painting ideas:
- Soap Bubble Heart Relief Art Idea | Johnathan Fong eHow
- Fingerprint Relief Heart Art Canvas | Mum in the Madhouse
- Cotton Ball Relief Heart Painting Ideas | Sunshine Whisperers
- Pencil Eraser Heart Relief Art on Canvas Bag | Clumsy Crafter
Heart Tree Art
Heart trees are tree art projects and painting ideas with hearts on the branches instead of or in addition to leaves. Give either of these heart-tree art projects a try!
- Valentine’s Day Heart Fingerprint Tree | Easy Peasy and Fun
- Glass Paint Heart Tree | Rhythms of Play (pictured below)
More Heart Arts and Crafts
We have several more heart arts and crafts tutorials on Rhythms of Play. Give any of these incredible homemade heart arts, crafts, and gift ideas a go:
- Salt Dough Handprint and Footprint Heart Craft
- Glass Paint Heart Candle Holder
- Quadruple Heart Candle Holder
- Personalized Heart Candle Holder
- Heart with Celtic Knot Woodburning Tutorial with FREE Heart Template (older kids and adults only!)
- Hanging Heart Suncatcher Prism Crafts
- DIY Heart Mason Jar Lantern
- Love Bug Craft
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Fingerprint and Thumbprint Heart Keychain Charms
- Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas (photo below)
Heart-Shaped Valentine Crafts and Keepsake Gifts
You may also enjoy this collection of Valentine’s Crafts and Keepsake Gifts Kids Can Make. Just click on the link to see them all!
Related: Nature Crafts and Nature Art Activities That Use Natural Materials
Gorgeous Heart Shaped Art and Crafts for Kids (and Adults too!)
We hope you enjoyed these heart arts and crafts for kids and adults. In this fun collection of project ideas, you can find heart art projects, heart painting projects, and even heart crafts!
You may also enjoy Valentine’s Day Art, Shamrock Arts and Crafts, and Easter Art projects Kids LOVE!
For more heart fun, go on a heart shape nature scavenger hunt! We have even made a video of all the heart shapes that we have found in nature that you can watch.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!Printable Heart Art and Craft Templates
If You Liked Heart Art, You Might Also Like
- Spring Bucket List Seasonal Activity Guide
- Best Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for Him or Her
- Easy Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
- Best Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids
Leave a Comment