Here’s a collection of thumb-buggy fingerprint love bug card ideas perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and several other occasions!
Here’s a list of fingerprint love bug cards that kids from toddlers to preschoolers, teens, and adults can make for someone special–or hand out to the whole classroom. Using thumbprint hearts and fingerprint art to make fingerprint love bugs is not just for kids; make some love bug art for someone special with this easy love bug craft idea!
We have even provided several different “Thumb-Buggy” fingerprint love bug card titles, slogans, short phrases, sayings, and messages you can use on your homemade fingerprint art cards for other holidays and events besides Valentine’s Day. Scroll down to see the fun message ideas for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, miss you cards, and thank you cards!
Related: Fingerprint Glass Magnets Craft
Related: Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids
How to Make Thumb-Buggy Fingerprint Love Bug Craft
Invite toddlers, preschoolers, and kids and adults of all ages to use their fingers and thumbs to make any of these homemade fingerprint love bug crafts. Thumbprint heart love bug cards are a fun craft idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and more!
Simply follow the step-by-step directions to make fingerprint love bug art on a blank greeting card, and then add the “Thumb-buggy” title, short slogan, phrase, saying, or message you like!
If you don’t feel comfortable giving someone a card that reads, “Thumb-Buggy loves you,” write “Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re sweet” instead! Or, try the other love bug card message ideas below!!
Scroll down to find the materials list, instructions, and all of the “Thumb-Buggy” love bug card message ideas you can use to make handmade fingerprint art cards for various occasions.
Related: Pom-Pom Love Bug Craft
Related: Fingerprint Snowman Cards
Fingerprint Love Bug Art Supplies
- Blank greeting cards
- Tempera paint
- Extra fine-tip paint pens, including black or use permanent markers
- Googly eyes
- White glue
Homemade Fingerprint Love Bug Card Step-by-Step Directions
Read through the step-by-step love bug craft instructions below before making love bug cards, so you understand the steps involved and know what to expect.
Related: Best Heart Art Projects
1. Gather art supplies (mix red and white tempera paint to make pink if needed).
- Mix red with white tempera paint to create at least one shade of pink if needed. Make a lighter and darker shade for even more fun! Add more white than red to make a light shade of pink–and more red paint (or less white) to make a darker shade of pink for your fingerprint love bug art.
- Another option is to buy tempera paint with several colors (including shades of pink) pre-mixed.
2. Make a thumbprint heart on the front of a blank greeting card.
- Start your love bug craft by making a thumbprint heart to create the head of the fingerprint love bug.
- First, use your thumb to make a thumbprint heart on the left or right side of the front of a blank greeting card.
- Scroll down to learn how to make a thumbprint heart to start your thumb buggy.
- Invite children that have not, or are still learning to read and write, to create love bug art on their lovebug cards from left to right to prepare them for reading and writing. In Montessori education, children complete all actions from left to right to create the habit of going from left to right to make learning to read and write a little easier. This is why Montessori learning activities for young children are completed from left to right.
How to make a thumbprint heart:
- Press thumb into tempera paint.
- Gently press your thumb with tempera paint onto the paper.
- Press thumb into tempera paint to reapply paint if needed.
- Tilt your thumb slightly and press down again to make thumbprint heart art.
- You might also enjoy making Thumbprint Heart Magnets. They make a great homemade gift to complement love bug cards.
3. Use fingertips to dot a love bug following the thumbprint heart head.
Next, dip your fingers into the red and pink tempera paint to make the fingerprint love bug card. Follow the steps below:
- Use a different fingertip for each tempura paint color.
- Feel free to alternate red with pink to create your fingerprint love bugs, or make them all the same color.
- Be careful not to mix up your fingers as you dot your love bug cards–but mixing and blending the colors can be fun too!
- Allow the thumbprint heart love bug crafts to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
4. Decorate love bug fingerprint crafts with eyes and legs for each thumb buggy card.
- First, attach googly eyes with white glue, or use self-adhesive googly eyes.
- Next, use fine-tip paint pens to decorate your love bug fingerprint art.
- Draw a smiling face and cute little feet on your love bugs to bring them to life.
- Children love to make love bug art!
5. Write a thumb-buggy card message on each love bug card.
Thumb-Buggy fingerprint cards are perfect for Valentine’s day and several other occasions. Check out the fingerprint card messages and phrases we have come up with below the fingerprint love bug video tutorial.
Fingerprint Love Bug Craft Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Personalize Homemade Love Bug Card with Fingerprint Love Bug Card Titles, Slogans, Short Phrases, and Message Ideas
There are so many fun ways to make a love bug card, and several different card titles, slogans, short phrases, sayings, and message ideas that you can choose from, depending on the occasion. And we have created several fun messages, sayings, and words to write on your love bug fingerprint cards for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, a birthday, an anniversary, or any other occasion.
So, feel free to write any of our original “Thumb-Buggy” card message ideas and phrases on your love bug cards. But please note that our love bug message ideas are protected under Copyright Laws and for personal use only.
In other words, please do not use our “Thumb-buggy” message ideas to sell or publish. We’ve seen too many people and companies steal our original ideas over the years without proper attribution or compensation. Thank you–happy love bug crafting!
Thumb-Buggy Loves You Fingerprint Love Bug Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or anniversary Card Crafts.
We have put a fun spin on the phrase “Thumb-Body loves you.” Write “Thumb-Buggy loves you” instead! (photograph below)
Thumb-Buggy Valentine’s Day Card Titles, Phrases, and SLogans
We’ve come up with lots of different “Thumb-Buggy” titles, slogans, and short phrases or messages you can use to write on your Valentine’s Day fingerprint love bug cards. Look at all of the fun ideas below.
- Thumb-buggy wishes you a Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Thumb-buggy wants to be your Valentine!
- Thumb-Buggy says be mine, Valentine!
- Happy Valentine’s Day, love bug!
Valentine’s Day Fingerprint Love Bug Friendship Card Ideas
Is there someone that you would like to be your friend? Then give them a Thumb-Buggy wants to be friends Valentine’s day card! In other words, “Thumb-buggy” friendship cards are an excellent homemade love bug Valentine’s day handout idea for kids to make and give to classmates and friends. Try any of the card message ideas below.
- Thumb-Buggy wants to be friends!
- Thumb-Buggy wants to be your friend!
- Thumb-Buggy wants a new friend.
- Thumb-Buggy wants to make friends.
Thumb-Buggy Thinks You’re Sweet (Special, Nice, Fun, Friendly, The BEST!, etc.)
There are several ways to write this one to make anyone feel special on Valentine’s day. Like Thumb-Buggy friendship cards, some of these ideas are also perfect for children to give to their friends or hand out at school.
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re sweet!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re kinda cute!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re something special!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re nice!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re fun to be around!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re friendly!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re the BEST!
- Thumb-Buggy thinks you’re HOT!
Thumb-Buggy Wants a KISS! Valentine’s Day Card Idea
Are you looking for a kiss from your sweetheart? Try any of the “Thumb-Buggy wants a kiss love bug card message variations below.
- Thumb-Buggy wants a kiss!
- Thumb-Buggy wants to steal a kiss!
- Thumb-Buggy wants you to give him/her a kiss!
- Thumb-Buggy wants to give you a Valentine’s Day kiss!
Related: Best Valentine’s Day Art Projects
Love Bug Miss You Card Idea: Thumb-Buggy Misses You!
If you want to send a miss you card to someone you love and miss, try writing any of the miss you love bug card message ideas below.
- Thumb-Buggy misses you!
- Thumb-Buggy is missing you.
- Thumb-buggy can’t wait to see you!
- Thumb-Buggy is dreaming of the day we meet!
- Thumb-Buggy misses their Valentine (or sweetheart.)
Related: DIY Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
Mother’s Day Fingerprint Love Bug Card Ideas
I’m sure you can come up with personalized ideas for mom. If not, we have a few fingerprint Mother’s day card message ideas to share with you. You might also enjoy these gift ideas for mom. We have a list of homemade gifts kids can make and gifts for moms that will put you in the GOOD Book!
- Thumb-Buggy wants to wish you a happy Mother’s Day!
- Thumb-Buggy loves his or her mommy, mummy, or momma!
- Thumb-Buggy wishes you a happy Mother’s Day!
Fingerprint Love Bug “Thank You” Card Idea
You can also use fingerprint love bug cards as thank you cards. Simply choose a lovebug thank you card title, phrase, slogan, or message idea from the list below.
- Thumb-Buggy wants to thank you!
- Thumb-Buggy wants to say thank you.
- Thumb-Buggy is thankful.
- Thumb-Buggy is full of thanks.
- Thumb-Buggy is thankful for you.
- Thumb-Buggy is grateful for…
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
“I’m Sorry” Fingerprint Love Bug Card Ideas
If you need to apologize to someone, a love bug card can help! Write any of the “I’m sorry” love bug message ideas below on your card to turn it into an “I’m sorry” card.
- Thumb-Buggy wants to say he/she is sorry.
- Thumb-Buggy is very sorry!”
- Thumb-Buggy wants to apologize.
- Thumb-Buggy needs to say I’m sorry.
- Thumb-Buggy knows he or she messed up.
Related: Personalized Photo Keychain Charms
Fingerprint Love Bug Anniversary Card
Lovebug cards are perfect for a wedding or an anniversary. Write “Thumb-Buggy wants to wish you a Happy Anniversary!” on your card to make your partner or spouse fall in love all over again!
There are many more ways to write an anniversary message on your cards. Get creative and personalize it in whatever way works for you!
Related: Gifts for Him or Her
Thumbprint Heart Love Bug Cards
Make love bug cards for Valentine’s day, or use any of the love bug card message ideas we have provided above to create the best homemade love bug cards for different occasions and events all year!
You can see from all of the fantastic love bug card message ideas we have created (and provide for your use) how many unique ways you can use love bug cards to make someone’s day. So, gather inspiration to create personalized messages or use one of the love bug message ideas my daughter and I wrote from the “Thumb-buggy” message ideas above.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Love Bug Arts and Crafts
- 2 Easy Ways to Make Pom-Pom Love Bug Sticker Crafts
- Heart Love Bugs
- Best Love Bug Craft Ideas for Kids
More Valentine’s Day Arts, Crafts, and Gift Ideas
- Best Valentine’s Day Art Projects
- Thumbprint Heart Magnets
- Heart Art Projects (and Cute Crafts, too!)
- Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
- Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him or Her
- Thumbprint Heart Crafts and Gift Ideas
- Valentine Crafts and Gift Ideas Kids Can Make