Fingerprint magnets are an easy craft and gift idea that kids can make.
Fingerprint art magnets are a fun handmade gift that kids can make for Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or a Birthday! With the step-by-step tutorials below, invite children to use their fingertips and thumbs to make these quick and easy fingerprint art magnets at home or in the classroom. You might also enjoy this list of Beautiful Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make.
Fingerprint Art Glass Magnet Supplies
DIY glass magnets with fingerprint art are an easy craft and homemade gift idea that kids can make with a bit of assistance from a parent, teacher, or caregiver. First, Gather the supplies from the list below to make thumbprint or fingerprint art glass magnets, or turn your fingerprint art into fingerprint art necklaces or backpack charms instead!
- Paper (heavyweight printer or drawing is best–bright white cardstock works great!)
- Fine tip permanent marker (black)
- Finger ink pads
- Extra-large clear glass gems–These large clear 1 1/2 to 2-inch glass gems can sometimes be found at the dollar store, but they are often smaller and not completely transparent. Please ensure there is no iridescent coating on them, as this can affect how the fingerprint craft turns out. (Glass gems are also known as flat back marbles, table scatter, cabochons, or floral stones and can also be found at most craft stores and some floral shops.)
- Clear drying glue – we have only used and tested Mod Podge and are unsure which other glues will and won’t work.
- 1-inch ceramic magnets
Related: Spider Magnet Craft (use the same glass gems to make these cute spider magnets!)
3 Easy Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art Ideas for Glass Magnets
Invite your children to use their fingertips and thumbs to make quick and easy fingerprint art magnets for gifts or fun. DIY glass magnets with fingerprint art are an easy homemade gift idea that kids can make!
First, invite children to create fingerprint and thumbprint art using the simple fingerprint art ideas on the list below.
Next, have the kids turn their fingerprint art into magnet crafts using the step-by-step fingerprint magnet craft video tutorial and the written instructions below these fingerprint magnet ideas. (In other words, scroll down to the bottom of this post for the step-by-step directions to make fingerprint art magnets.)
Or invite your children to make the other DIY fingerprint magnet craft ideas suggested, such as fingerprint art necklaces or keychain charms, for even more handmade fun! Fingerprint art creations make a great gift idea for moms, dads, and grandparents!
1. Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art Books for Kids
There are many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs to make magnets, necklaces, and keychains! Have your kids find inspiration to create their fingerprint art, or get one of the fingerprint art books listed below.
We tried several fingerprint art books, and Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book is our favorite. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one complete fingerprint art book for kids!
My daughter also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book. A few more fingerprint art book recommendations are below.
2. Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
With our step-by-step tutorial, we invite children to use their thumbprints to make hearts and turn them into thumbprint heart glass magnets.
2. Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
Invite the kids to make fingerprint flowers with their fingertips to make homemade fingerprint flower marble magnets.
Another fun handmade gift idea kids from toddlers to teens can make with a fingerprint flower is fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains. Click on the links for the directions to make either fingerprint craft idea.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Fingerprint Art DIY Glass Magnets Video Tutorial
Here’s my daughter demonstrating how to make fingerprint art magnets, and the written step-by-step directions for DIY glass magnets are directly below the fingerprint magnet video tutorial.
Related: Best Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids
Fingerprint Magnets Step-By-Step Tutorial
Invite the kids to use their fingertips and thumbs to make fingerprint art (or thumbprint art) to make a magnet with this easy refrigerator magnet tutorial.
Step 1 – Invite Children to Make Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art
- Invite children to make fingerprint art pictures with fingerprint ink pads and the easy fingerprint art ideas in the books on the list above.
- Use a heavyweight bright white paper for best results. Thin paper can cause the ink to bleed and become so saturated with glue that it ruins the art.
- Make sure each fingerprint art creation has enough white space around it to place a glass gem over it. In other words, leave an inch or two of space between each fingerprint picture.
- Allow the fingerprint art to dry before making them into fingerprint art magnets in the next step, or the fingerprint art pictures will likely smear. So it is best to wait until the ink is dry to the touch before attempting to glue it to the glass gem.
- Or, learn how to make a necklace or keychain with your fingerprint art creations!
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint art and Thumbprint Art to the Glass Gem
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a glass gem and glue it down on top of the fingerprint art, as shown in the video above.
- A small drop of glue goes a long way, so you don’t need much. Press it down firmly to spread the glue and remove air bubbles. Too much glue can cause the thumbprint art to smear.
- Allow the glue to dry before moving on to the next step. Overnight is best, but several hours will do in a pinch.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper Around the Glass Gem
- Use a pair of craft scissors to trim and cut away paper around the glass gem with the fingerprint art. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- If any paper lifts away from the glass gem, glue it down in the next step.
Step 4 – Glue the Magnet to the Glass Gem with the Fingerprint Art or Thumbprint Art
- Use a foam brush to paint clear drying glue on top of the paper on the back of the glass gem. Go over the edges of the paper to ensure it is completely glued down.
- Place a 1-inch ceramic magnet into the glue and allow fingerprint art glass magnets to dry overnight.
Related: Fingerprint Snowman Cards
Thumbprint Art Glass Magnets Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.