Invite your children to use their fingertips and thumbs to make Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets. Thumbprint art glass magnets are an easy craft for kids. DIY glass magnets with fingerprint art also make a simple homemade gift idea kids can make for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Birthdays and Christmas.
Fingerprint Art Glass Magnet Supplies
Gather the following simple supplies to make thumbprint and fingerprint art glass magnets, or make fingerprint art necklaces!
- Paper (heavyweight printer or drawing – bright white is best)
- Fine tip permanent marker (black)
- Finger ink pads
- Clear glass gems, extra large flat back marbles and clear glass cabochons ( These large clear 1 1/2 to 2-inch glass gems can sometimes be found at the dollar store but they are often smaller and not clear. Make sure there is no iridescent coating on them. Glass gems are also known as flat back marbles, table scatter, cabochons, or floral stones and can be found at most craft stores and at some florists.)
- Clear drying glue
3 Easy Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art Ideas for Glass Magnets
First, invite children to create fingerprint art and thumbprint art using any of the ideas below.
Next, have the kids turn their fingerprint art into magnets using the step by step tutorial in the next section.
1. Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art Books for Kids
My daughter and I have had a wonderful time together trying the ideas in the books below and making fingerprint and thumbprint art using these finger ink pads and a black permanent marker with a fine tip.
We particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one awesome fingerprint art book for kids.
My daughter also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book. Have the kids find inspiration to create their own fingerprint art using the ideas in the books below.
2. Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Have children use their thumbs to make hearts to make thumbprint heart glass magnets. Another idea is to make easy thumbprint heart necklaces or thumbprint heart keychains! Click on the links for the step by step tutorials.
2. Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
Invite the kids to create flowers using their fingertips to make fingerprint flower marble magnets. Another idea is to make fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains. Click on the links for the directions to make these simple keepsake crafts.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Fingerprint Art DIY Glass Magnets Video Tutorial
Step by step written directions for DIY glass magnets can be found below the video tutorial.
Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets Step By Step Tutorial
Step 1 – Invite Children to Make Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art
Invite the kids to use their fingertips and thumbs to make fingerprint art and thumbprint art that can be used to make a magnet, necklace, or keychain! Use any of the easy fingerprint art ideas listed above.
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint art and Thumbprint Art to the Glass Gem
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of the glass gem and place it on the fingerprint art as shown in the video above.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper Around the Glass Gem
- Use a pair of small scissors to trim and cut away paper around the glass gem. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- If any paper lifts away from the glass gem you can glue it down in the next step.
Step 4 – Glue the Magnet to the Glass Gem with the Fingerprint Art or Thumbprint Art
- Use a foam brush to paint clear drying glue on top of the paper on the back of the glass gem. Go over the edges of the paper to make sure it is completely glued down.
- Place a magnet into the glue and allow fingerprint art glass gem magnets to dry overnight.
Related: Fingerprint Snowman Cards
Thumbprint Art Glass Magnets Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Fingerprint art magnets and necklaces make an easy gift idea that even kids can make! Thumbprint art glass magnets and thumbprint heart crafts are an easy homemade gift idea that Mom, dad and the grandparents LOVE!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Fingerprint Art Magnets, You May Also Like:
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Books That Teach Kids Important Life Lessons
- Christmas Fingerprint, Footprint, and Handprint Art Card Ideas
- Fingerprint Art Necklaces
- DIY Photo Keychains
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!