Turn your favorite photographs into a picture necklace! DIY Photo necklaces are a unique handmade craft and gift idea. Use this easy photo necklace jewelry making tutorial to make one of a kind photo pendant keepsakes your family and friends will treasure.
Related: DIY Photo Keychain Ornaments
Related: Easy Thumbprint Heart Necklace
How to Make Photo Necklace Jewelry
Gather the photo jewelry craft supplies that you would like to use below and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own DIY photo necklace.
Related: DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
DIY Photo Necklace Jewelry Making Supplies
Choose the type of photo pendant shapes and pre-made necklaces you would like to use to make DIY photo jewelry from the materials list below.
- Small personal photographs
- Detail scissors or precision knife and cutting mat
- Diamond glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry making options (choose at least one from the list below):
- Pre-made necklaces for pendants (choose at least one from the list below or make your own necklace):
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Related: Mother-Daughter Necklace Set
DIY Photo Necklace Video Tutorial
Step by step written directions for DIY art necklaces can be found below the video tutorial. Another fun idea is to make fingerprint art necklaces.
Related: Beautiful Homemade Gifts
Photo Necklace Step By Step Jewelry Making Tutorial
Step 1 – Select a photograph or photographs to make into photo pendants
- Select a photograph to make one photo or several photographs to make a lot of photo necklaces.
- Use the glass cabochons to place over photographs to find the ones that will work.
Step 2 – Trace glass cabochon over the photograph or photographs
- Place glass cabochon over the photo and use a marker to trace it.
- Skip to step 3 if you are using a precision knife and cutting mat to cut out the photos.
Step 3 – Cut out the photograph or photographs
- Use detail scissors or a precision knife and cutting mat to cut out the photograph or photographs for the number of photo pendants you want to make.
Step 4 – Glue the photograph into the Pendant Tray
- Use diamond glaze adhesive to glue a photograph into a pendant tray of the same shape.
- Use back of a spoon to gently press photo into the pendant tray.
Step 5 – Glue Glass Cabochon to the Pendant Tray
- Apply diamond glaze adhesive to the flat side of glass cabochon
- Place the cabochon into the pendant tray on top of the photograph and press down firmly to remove air bubbles.
- Hold firmly for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Wipe edges clean with a damp cloth.
- Allow photo pendant ornament to dry overnight.
Step 6 – Place Photo Pendant Ornament onto a Necklace
- Thread a necklace through the loop of the photo pendant ornament to finish your photo necklace.
- Bead your own necklace or use one of the premade necklace options below.
- Note: If you bead your own necklace make sure to place the photo pendant ornament onto the necklace when it is halfway finished, otherwise it may not fit over the beads to hang down in the middle.
Related: DIY and Readymade Family Gift Guide
Photo Pendant Necklace Gift Idea
Turn your favorite photographs into one of a kind keepsakes that friends and family will treasure for years to come. You may also like these easy fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklaces or thumbprint heart keychains.
Don’t forget to pop over to check out all of the other beautiful gift ideas kids can make and DIY and ready-made gift ideas for the whole family!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Photo Pendant Necklaces, You May Also Like:
- Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
- Fingerprint Art Necklace Pendants
- Handprint Art Jewelry Dish and Ring Bowl
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Fingerprint Flower Necklaces and Keychains
- How to Start and Finish a Beaded Necklace
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!