Invite your children to use their fingertips and thumbs to make Fingerprint Art Magnets. Fingerprint magnets are an easy craft idea that kids and adults can make. DIY glass magnets with fingerprint art are an easy homemade gift idea that kids can make for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Birthdays and Christmas.
Fingerprint Art Glass Magnet Supplies
Gather the following simple supplies to make thumbprint and fingerprint art glass magnets, or, turn your fingerprint art into fingerprint art necklaces!
- Paper (heavyweight printer or drawing – bright white is best)
- Fine tip permanent marker (black)
- Finger ink pads
- Extra large clear glass gems and clear glass cabochons ( These large clear 1 1/2 to 2-inch glass gems can sometimes be found at the dollar store but they are often smaller and not clear. Make sure there is no iridescent coating on them. Glass gems are also known as flat back marbles, table scatter, cabochons, or floral stones and can be found at most craft stores and at some floral shops.)
- Clear drying glue
- 1-inch ceramic magnets
3 Easy Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art Ideas for Glass Magnets
First, invite children to create fingerprint art and thumbprint art using any of the ideas below.
Next, have the kids turn their fingerprint art into magnets using the step by step fingerprint magnet tutorial in the next section.
1. Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art Books for Kids
There are so many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs to make magnets, necklaces, and keychains, too! Have your kids find inspiration to create their own fingerprint art using the ideas in the books below.
My daughter and I have had a wonderful time together trying the fingerprint art ideas in the books below, and, making fingerprint and thumbprint art using finger ink pads and a black permanent marker with a fine tip.
We particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one awesome fingerprint art book for kids!
My daughter also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book.
2. Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
Have children use their thumbprints to make hearts. Next, turn them into thumbprint heart glass magnets.
Click on the links for the step by step tutorials.
2. Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
Invite the kids to make fingerprint flowers with their fingertips to make homemade fingerprint flower marble magnets.
Another fun handmade gift idea you can make with fingerprint flower are fingerprint flower necklaces or keychains.
Click on the links for the directions to make either fingerprint craft idea.
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
Fingerprint Art DIY Glass Magnets Video Tutorial
Step by step written directions for DIY glass magnets can be found below the video tutorial.
Related: Best Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids
Fingerprint Magnets Step By Step Tutorial
Step 1 – Invite Children to Make Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art
Use fingerprint ink pads and any of the easy fingerprint art ideas listed above and then make them into fingerprint magnets with the simple step by step directions below.
Allow fingerprint art to dry before turning it into a fingerprint art magnet.
Step 2 – Glue the Fingerprint art and Thumbprint Art to the Glass Gem
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of the glass gem and place it on the fingerprint art as shown in the video above.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper Around the Glass Gem
- Use a pair of craft scissors to trim and cut away paper around the glass gem with the fingerprint art. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- If any paper lifts away from the glass gem you can glue it down in the next step.
Step 4 – Glue the Magnet to the Glass Gem with the Fingerprint Art or Thumbprint Art
- Use a foam brush to paint clear drying glue on top of the paper on the back of the glass gem. Go over the edges of the paper to make sure it is completely glued down.
- Place a 1-inch ceramic magnet into the glue and allow fingerprint art glass magnets to dry overnight.
Related: Fingerprint Snowman Cards
Thumbprint Art Glass Magnets Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Fingerprint art magnets and necklaces make an easy homemade gift idea that kids can make for mom, dad, or grandparents.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Fingerprint Art Magnets, You May Also Like:
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Books That Teach Kids Important Life Lessons
- The Best Art Supplies for Kids and Why Young Artists Should Use Them
- Christmas Fingerprint, Footprint, and Handprint Art Card Ideas
- DIY Photo Keychains
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the power of the imagination, learning through play, making this world a greener place to live, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…