Use your fingers and thumbs to create fingerprint artwork and turn it into an art necklace.
Make a DIY fingerprint or thumbprint art necklace for an easy homemade fingerprint craft and gift idea that kids, teens, or adults can make for family, friends, teachers, and co-workers. Fingerprint art necklaces and keychain charms are always a hit with young and old alike. You’re never too old to make fingerprint art DIY necklaces! You might also enjoy making Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets.
How to Make Art Necklace Jewelry
Gather the fingerprint and thumbprint art jewelry craft supplies you would like to use from the list of jewelry-making supplies and follow the step-by-step directions to make your own artwork jewelry at home or in the classroom. The complete step-by-step instructions for the fingerprint art necklaces are below the video tutorial. Scroll down for the DIY details. Or look at this list of beautiful homemade gifts kids can make for even more easy craft ideas.
Fingerprint Art Necklace Jewelry Making Supplies
Gather the following simple supplies to make your own unique handmade artwork jewelry. Use the tutorial below to make fingerprint art necklaces, or learn How to make fingerprint art keychains and backpack charms!
- Heavyweight paper (printer or cardstock – bright white is best)
- Fine tip black permanent marker and/or gel pens
- Fingerprint ink pads
- Mod Podge
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry-making options: (choose at least one of the jewelry-making supplies)
- Pre-made necklaces for pendants (choose at least one from the list below or make a DIY necklace):
3 Easy Ideas for Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art Necklace Jewelry
First, invite children to create art using the fun ideas below. Next, have the kids turn their artwork into necklaces with the video tutorial and step-by-step instructions posted below the fingerprint art necklace ideas list. Or use our craft tutorial to make keychains or backpack charms.
1. Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
Have children use their thumbs to make hearts to make thumbprint heart necklaces. Another fun idea is to make thumbprint heart keychains. Click on either of the links above for the step-by-step tutorials. Or make thumbprint heart magnet crafts instead!
2. Fingerprint Flower Necklaces
Invite the kids to create flowers using their fingertips to make fingerprint flower necklaces (or keychains). Click on the link for the directions to make this simple keepsake craft. Or try making Fingerprint Flower Magnets.
3. Fingerprint Art Necklaces and Thumbprint Art Necklaces
There are so many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs! My daughter and I have made lots of fingerprint art for fingerprint art necklaces and fingerprint art magnets!
My daughter and I particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one fantastic fingerprint art book for kids.
We also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book. Invite your children to find inspiration to create their own fingerprint art using the ideas in any of the books below.
Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing BookEd Emberley’s Fingerprint Drawing BookFingerprint Princesses and Fairies: and 100 Other Magical Creatures – Amazing Art for Hands-on Fun (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint & Draw: Animals & Insects: Draw & paint more than 25 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Monsters and Dragons: and 100 Other Adventurous Creatures (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint Activities: AnimalsFingerprint & Draw: On the Farm: Draw & paint more than 30 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Drawing: Art Fun at Your Fingertips!Fingerprint Animals (Fun with Fingerprints)Fingerprint Fun: Pictures to Complete with Painty FingertipsFingerprint Fun: Pets and Farm AnimalsElera 20 Colors Rainbow Craft Finger Ink pads for Rubber Stamps Card Making
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Fingerprint Art Necklace Video Tutorial
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make fingerprint art necklaces. In it, you can see my daughter demonstrating how to make fingerprint butterflies into magical art with gel pens. The video also shows how easy it is to use identical pendants to make keychains and backpack charms.
Step-by-step directions for DIY art necklaces can be found below the video tutorial. You may also like photo jewelry or personalized picture keychain photo charms. Click on the links for the step-by-step instructions for each DIY fingerprint art project.
Related: DIY Acorn Marble Necklaces
Fingerprint Art Necklace Step-By-Step Tutorial
Follow the easy DIY directions below to make your own fingerprint art jewelry!
1. Create fingerprint and thumbprint art.
- Invite the kids to draw and/or use fingerprint ink pads to make fingerprint art and thumbprint art that can be used to make art necklaces or fingerprint art magnets. Use the easy art ideas above to create fingerprint and/or thumbprint art!
2. Glue the fingerprint art to the glass cabochon gem.
- Play with the glass cabochons to see which shape will fit on top of the fingerprint artwork that you have created.
- Place a small drop of Mod Podge (or white PVA glue) on the back (flat side) of a glass cabochon and place it on the art as shown in the video to attach it to the cabochon.
- Allow the glue to dry. Overnight is best.
3. Cut away any remaining paper around the glass cabochon.
- Use small scissors to trim and cut away paper around the glass cabochon for the necklace. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- The paper will pull slightly away from the glass cabochon when you cut it off. Gently massage the back of each cabochon to press the paper with the fingerprint art back onto the cabochon.
- You might need to place a small drop of Mod Podge under the paper if it pulled away too much to glue it back down. Most of the time, you will not need to do this. Simply massaging the paper on the back of the cabochon works fine. If you use a bit more glue, you do not need to wait for it to dry before moving on to the next step.
4. Glue the glass cabochon into the pendant tray.
- Use Diamond Glaze Adhesive to glue the glass cabochon into a pendant tray of the same shape.
- Place the adhesive into the pendant tray or directly onto the paper on the back of the glass cabochon. Both ways are shown in the video, and either technique will work.
5. Place the fingerprint art pendant onto a necklace or cord.
- Thread a necklace through the loop of the fingerprint art pendant to finish your fingerprint art necklace. Ready-made necklace options can be found below:
- Sterling silver snake chain necklace (fit all pendant shapes)
- Silver-plated snake chain necklaces (fit all pendant shapes)
- Multi-colored satin silk necklaces (fit into oval pendants but not square or circle pendants)
- Imitation leather cord necklaces (fit all pendant shapes)
- Bead a DIY necklace, or use one of the premade necklace options below. (If you hand bead a homemade necklace, place the fingerprint art pendant onto it when it is halfway finished. Otherwise, it may not fit over the beads to hang down in the middle.)
Related: Fun Art and Craft Ideas
DIY Fingerprint Art Necklace Homemade Craft and Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Make some fingerprint art necklaces for an easy homemade gift idea that kids and adults of all ages can make!
Fingerprint art, thumbprint heart, and fingerprint flower glass magnets are always a big hit with friends and family. Give them to someone special for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparent’s Day, a birthday, an anniversary, or Christmas.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Art Necklaces, You Might Also Like:
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Best Flower Art Projects
- How to Make a Fairy Garden
- Books That Teach Kids Important Life Lessons