Use your fingers and thumbs to create fingerprint artwork and turn it into an art necklace. Make a DIY fingerprint art necklace or thumbprint art necklace for an easy homemade fingerprint craft and gift idea that kids, teens, and adults can make.
Related: Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
How to Make Art Necklace Jewelry
Gather the fingerprint and thumbprint art jewelry craft supplies that you would like to use below and follow the step by step directions to make your own artwork jewelry.
Fingerprint Art Necklace Jewelry Making Supplies
Gather the following simple supplies to make your own unique handmade artwork jewelry. Use the tutorial below to make fingerprint art necklaces, or learn how to make fingerprint art keychains and backpack charms!
- Heavyweight paper (printer or cardstock – bright white is best)
- Fine tip black permanent marker and/or gel pens
- Finger ink pads
- Mod Podge
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry making options:
- Pre-made necklaces for pendants (choose at least one from the list below or make your own necklace):
3 Easy Ideas for Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art Necklace Jewelry
First, invite children to create art using any of the fun ideas below. Next, have the kids turn their artwork into necklaces, keychains or backpack charms.
1. Thumbprint Heart Necklaces
Related: Thumbprint Heart Glass Magnets
2. Fingerprint Flower Necklaces
Invite the kids to create flowers using their fingertips to make fingerprint flower necklaces (or keychains). Click on the link to for the directions to make this simple keepsake craft.
Related: Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
3. Fingerprint Art Necklaces and Thumbprint Art Necklaces
There are so many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs! My daughter and I have made lots of fingerprint art for fingerprint art necklaces and fingerprint art glass magnets!
My daughter and I particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one awesome fingerprint art book for kids.
We also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book. Have the kids find inspiration to create their own fingerprint art using the ideas in the books below.
Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing BookEd Emberley’s Fingerprint Drawing BookFingerprint Princesses and Fairies: and 100 Other Magical Creatures – Amazing Art for Hands-on Fun (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint & Draw: Animals & Insects: Draw & paint more than 25 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Monsters and Dragons: and 100 Other Adventurous Creatures (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint Activities: AnimalsFingerprint & Draw: On the Farm: Draw & paint more than 30 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Drawing: Art Fun at Your Fingertips!Fingerprint Animals (Fun with Fingerprints)Fingerprint Fun: Pictures to Complete with Painty FingertipsFingerprint Fun: Pets and Farm AnimalsElera 20 Colors Rainbow Craft Finger Ink pads for Rubber Stamps Card Making
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Fingerprint Art Necklace Video Tutorial
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make fingerprint art necklaces.
Step by step written directions for DIY art necklaces can be found below the video tutorial. Another fun idea is a DIY photo necklace or photo keychain pendant. Click on the links for the step by step directions!
Related: DIY Acorn Marble Necklaces
Fingerprint Art Necklace Step By Step Tutorial
Follow the easy DIY directions below to make your own fingerprint art jewelry!
Step 1 – Invite Children to Create Fingerprint and Thumbprint Art
- Invite the kids to draw and/or use their fingertips and thumbs to make fingerprint art and thumbprint art that can be used to make art necklaces or fingerprint art magnets. Use any of the easy art ideas listed above to create fingerprint and or thumbprint art!
Step 2 – Glue Fingerprint Art to the Glass Gem
- Play with the glass cabochons to see which shape will fit over the fingerprint artwork you have created.
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a glass cabochon and place it on the art as shown in the video to glue it in place.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper Around the Glass Cabochon
- Use a pair of small scissors to trim and cut away paper around the glass cabochon for the necklace. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- The paper will pull slightly away from the glass cabochon when you cut it off. Gently massage the back of each cabochon to press the paper with the fingerprint art back onto the cabochon.
- You may need to place a small drop of Mod Podge under the paper if it pulled away too much to glue it back down. Most of the time you will not need to do this. Simply massaging the paper on the back of the cabochon works fine. If you use a tiny bit more of Mod Podge, you do not need to wait for it to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 4 – Glue the Glass Cabochon into the Pendant Tray
- Use Diamond Glaze Adhesive to glue the glass cabochon into a pendant tray of the same shape. Either place the adhesive into the pendant tray or directly onto the paper on the back of the glass cabochon. Both ways are just as easy and work fine.
Step 5 – Place Fingerprint Art Pendant onto a Necklace
- Thread a necklace through the loop of the fingerprint art pendant to finish your fingerprint art necklace. Ready-made options can be found below.
- Necklace options:
- sterling silver snake chain necklace (fit all pendant shapes)
- silver plated snake chain necklaces (fit all pendant shapes)
- multi-colored satin silk necklaces (fit into oval pendants but not square or circle pendants)
- imitation leather cord necklaces (fit all pendant shapes)
- Bead your own necklace or use one of the premade necklace options below. (If you bead your own necklace make sure to place the fingerprint flower pendant onto the necklace when it is halfway finished, otherwise it may not fit over the beads to hang down in the middle.)
Related: Fun Art and Craft Ideas
DIY Fingerprint Art Necklace Homemade Craft and Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Make some fingerprint art necklaces for an easy homemade gift idea that kids and adults of all ages can make!
DIY Fingerprint art and thumbprint art made into a necklace, keychain or backpack charm, is an easy homemade gift idea that Mom, dad, and the grandparents’ LOVE!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Art Necklaces, You May Also Like:
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- How to Make a Fairy Garden
- Books That Teach Kids Important Life Lessons
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!