DIY Fingerprint art keychains and backpack charms are easy homemade gift ideas and crafts that kids, teens, and adults can make. (First published May 18, 2018; this post is updated and republished to improve the content.)
Invite children to use their fingers and thumbs to make unique personalized fingerprint art DIY keychains and backpack charms with the easy step-by-step craft tutorial and video below. Fingerprint art crafts like these make a great handmade gift for parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, classmates, friends, or your child’s favorite teacher! You might also enjoy making fingerprint art magnets.
How to Make Fingerprint Art Keychains or Backpack Charms
Creating homemade fingerprint art backpack keychain charms and pendants is a delightful and personalized craft that adds a touch of uniqueness to your everyday accessories such as a backpack, keychain, or purse. Fingerprint charms like these easy crafts also make an excellent gift idea for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, siblings, cousins, friends, classmates, teammates, coaches, and teachers.
To embark on this creative journey, gather the fingerprint art keychain and charm craft supplies you would like to use from the suggested craft supplies listed below. Or make fingerprint art necklaces and fingerprint art magnets. Click the links to see each tutorial.
If you want to make fingerprint backpack charms and keychains, first gather some of the jewelry-making supplies suggested below and some ink pads for fingerprinting. Next, follow the easy step-by-step directions to make your own DIY fingerprint art keychain or fingerprint art backpack charms.
Experiment with different fingerprint art designs and patterns, making each piece one-of-a-kind before making them into a pendant or charm. Finally, add keychain rings or pendant findings to your fingerprint art creations voilà! You’ve crafted a charming accessory and a keepsake that carries a piece of your personal touch wherever you go.
Or, even better, gift them to friends, relatives, or your favorite teacher on special occasions and holidays such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparents Day, Teacher Appreciation Day, Friendship Day, Christmas, a birthday, or an anniversary. Happy crafting!
Related: Fingerprint Art Necklaces
DIY Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Materials
Choose the type of fingerprint art charm pendant shapes and key rings you would like to use to make DIY fingerprint art keychains and fingerprint art backpack charms from the supply options list below.
- Heavyweight Paper (printer or cardstock – bright white is best)
- Black ultra fine-tip permanent marker and/or gel pens
- Fingerprint ink pads
- Glue and jewelry adhesive (choose at least one of the following):
- Pendant trays and glass cabochons (choose at least one option from the jewelry-making supplies below):
- Keyring options for fingerprint art keychain pendants and backpack charms (choose at least one option from the list below):
3 Easy Fingerprint Art Ideas for Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms
First, invite children to create fingerprint and thumbprint art using any fun ideas below. Next, have the kids turn their artwork into keychain charms and/or fingerprint art backpack charms using the step-by-step tutorial in the next section below all of the different fingerprint art ideas. Or try making these homemade DIY Gifts.
1. Thumbprint Heart Keychain or Backpack Charms
Have children use their fingers or thumbs to make hearts to make thumbprint heart keychains or backpack charms. You can also make fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklaces. Click on the link for the step-by-step tutorials.
2. Fingerprint Flower Keychain or Backpack Charms
Invite the kids to create flowers using their fingertips to make fingerprint flower keychains, backpack charms, or necklaces. Click on the link for the directions to make one of these simple keepsake crafts.
3. Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art Keychain or Backpack Charms
There are so many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs! First, gather the fingerprint charm supplies on the list above. Next, pick a fun fingerprint art book from the list below. Finally, use the step-by-step video tutorial and fingerprint pendant instructions (below the fingerprint art book suggestions) to learn how to make this fun craft idea.
My daughter and I had a wonderful time making fingerprint and thumbprint art together using finger ink pads, a black permanent marker with a fine tip, and the ideas in the books below. Together we made fingerprint art magnets, necklaces, keychains, and backpack charms!
Click on the links above to learn more about making magnets and necklaces. Or, invite your kids or students to find inspiration to create their own fingerprint-art keychains and fingerprint-art backpack charms using the easy art ideas in the books below. Then scroll down to see the video tutorial and step-by-step instructions for this fun fingerprint craft project.
Our Favorite Fingerprint Art Books
My daughter and I particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one awesome fingerprint art book for kids that we highly recommend. My daughter also loved the Fingerprint Princesses and Fairies book and the Fingerprint Monsters and Dragons books, but each of the fingerprint art books below are great choices.
Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing BookEd Emberley’s Fingerprint Drawing BookFingerprint Princesses and Fairies: and 100 Other Magical Creatures – Amazing Art for Hands-on Fun (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint & Draw: Animals & Insects: Draw & paint more than 25 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Monsters and Dragons: and 100 Other Adventurous Creatures (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint Activities: AnimalsFingerprint & Draw: On the Farm: Draw & paint more than 30 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Drawing: Art Fun at Your Fingertips!Fingerprint Animals (Fun with Fingerprints)Fingerprint Fun: Pictures to Complete with Painty FingertipsFingerprint Fun: Pets and Farm AnimalsElera 20 Colors Rainbow Craft Finger Ink pads for Rubber Stamps Card Making
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms Video Tutorial
The video below shows how to make fingerprint-art keychains, backpack charms, and necklaces! In the video, you can also see my daughter demonstrating the simple technique she has developed to make gorgeous fingerprint art butterflies with gel pens.
Complete step-by-step instructions for making fingerprint art keychains or backpack charms are posted below the video tutorial. Another fun idea is to make DIY Picture Necklaces and Keychains using the same types of pendant trays used to make the fingerprint art ornaments shown in this post.
Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Step-By-Step Tutorial
1. Create fingerprint art for backpack and keychain ornaments or charms.
- Invite the kids to draw and/or use their fingertips and thumbs to make fingerprint art and thumbprint art that can be used to make art necklaces and backpack charms.
- Use any easy fingerprint and thumbprint art ideas above to make your charms, or come up with other creative art ideas.
2. Glue the fingerprint art to the glass cabochon.
- Place a drop of Mod Podge, white PVA glue, jewelry glue, or adhesive on the back (flat side) of a glass cabochon in the shape you choose and place it on the art as shown in the video.
- Press gently on the glass dome cabochon to evenly distribute the glue and remove any air bubbles.
- Allow glue time to dry. (Overnight is best.)
3. Cut away the remaining paper around the glass cabochon.
- Use small precision scissors (or big kid scissors) to trim and cut away paper from the glass cabochon for the fingerprint art keychain or backpack charms.
- It doesn’t need to be perfect because you will glue it into a pendant tray in the next step.
4. Glue the glass cabochon into the keychain charm pendant tray.
- Use glue or jewelry adhesive to glue the glass cabochon into a charm pendant tray of the same shape.
- Place the glass cabochon with fingerprint art into the pendant tray.
- Once again, press down gently to evenly distribute the glue and remove any air bubbles.
- Use a wet wipe or a damp cloth to remove any excess glue or adhesive.
- Allow fingerprint art pendant or charm time to dry. (Overnight is best.)
Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Gift Idea
Use this easy fingerprint art keychain and backpack charms tutorial to make a gift for a friend, family member, or favorite teacher. Fingerprint art, thumbprint hearts, and fingerprint-glass magnets are always a big hit with friends and family.
DIY fingerprint art keychains and backpack charms are easy gifts that kids or adults can make at home or in the classroom for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries. Fingerprint backpack charms and crafts like these are excellent end-of-school or back-to-school teacher gifts. DIY Photo necklaces or photo keychains are a few more similar crafts that make unique handmade gift ideas for kids and adults.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.