DIY Fingerprint art keychain and backpack charms are an easy homemade gift idea and craft that kids, teens, and adults can make. Use your fingers and thumbs to make unique one of a kind fingerprint art keychains or fingerprint art backpack charms. A handmade gift for parents, grandparents, or your child’s favorite teacher!
Related: Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
How to Make Fingerprint Art Keychain or Backpack Charms
Gather the fingerprint art keychain and charm craft supplies that you would like to use from the suggested craft supplies listed below, and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own DIY fingerprint art keychain or fingerprint art backpack charms.
Related: Fingerprint Art Necklaces
DIY Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Materials
Choose the type of fingerprint art charm pendant shapes and key rings that you would like to use to make DIY fingerprint art keychains and fingerprint art backpack charms from the supply options list below.
- Heavyweight Paper (printer or cardstock – bright white is best)
- Black fine tip permanent marker and/or gel pens
- Fingerprint ink pads
- Mod Podge
- Diamond Glaze
- Pendant trays with glass cabochon jewelry making options–choose at least one option from the list below:
- Key ring options for picture keychains–choose at least one option from the list below:
Related: Beautiful Homemade Gifts
3 Easy Fingerprint Art Ideas for Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms
First, invite children to create fingerprint art and thumbprint art using any of the fun ideas below. Next, have the kids turn their artwork into keychain charms and/or fingerprint art backpack charms using the step by step tutorial in the next section.
1. Thumbprint Heart Keychain or Backpack Charms
Have children use their fingers or thumbs to make hearts to make thumbprint heart keychains or backpack charms. You can also make fingerprint or thumbprint heart necklaces. Click on the link for the step by step tutorials.
2. Fingerprint Flower Keychain or Backpack Charms
Invite the kids to create flowers using their fingertips to make fingerprint flower keychains, backpack charms, or necklaces. Click on the link to for the directions to make and one of these simple keepsake crafts.
3. Fingerprint Art and Thumbprint Art Keychain or Backpack Charms
There are so many fun ways to create art with fingertips and thumbs!
My daughter and I had a wonderful time together trying the ideas in the books listed below, and, making fingerprint and thumbprint art using finger ink pads and a black permanent marker with a fine tip.
Invite your kids to find inspiration to create their own fingerprint art keychains and fingerprint art backpack charms using the easy ideas in the books below.
Our Favorite Fingerprint Art Books
My daughter and I particularly enjoyed Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing Book. It contains two of his most popular fingerprint art and thumbprint art books combined into one awesome fingerprint art book for kids.
Ed Emberley’s Complete Funprint Drawing BookEd Emberley’s Fingerprint Drawing BookFingerprint Princesses and Fairies: and 100 Other Magical Creatures – Amazing Art for Hands-on Fun (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint & Draw: Animals & Insects: Draw & paint more than 25 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Monsters and Dragons: and 100 Other Adventurous Creatures (Fingerprint Art)Fingerprint Activities: AnimalsFingerprint & Draw: On the Farm: Draw & paint more than 30 cool fingerprint and thumbprint masterpieces (Drawing with your Fingers)Fingerprint Drawing: Art Fun at Your Fingertips!Fingerprint Animals (Fun with Fingerprints)Fingerprint Fun: Pictures to Complete with Painty FingertipsFingerprint Fun: Pets and Farm AnimalsElera 20 Colors Rainbow Craft Finger Ink pads for Rubber Stamps Card Making
Related: Handprint Jewelry Dish Kids Can Make
DIY Fingerprint Art Keychains and Backpack Charms Video Tutorial
The video below shows how to make fingerprint art keychains, fingerprint art backpack charms, and fingerprint art necklaces!
In the video, my daughter demonstrates the simple technique that she has developed to make fingerprint art butterflies extra special with gel pens.
Step by step written directions for making fingerprint art keychain charms or fingerprint art backpack charms can be found below the video tutorial. Another fun idea is to make Picture Necklaces or Keychains using the same Pendant Trays.
Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Step By Step Tutorial
Step 1 – Invite Children to Create Fingerprint Art
- Invite the kids to draw and/or use their fingertips and thumbs to make fingerprint art and thumbprint art that can be used to make art necklaces and backpack charms.
- Use any of the easy fingerprint and thumbprint art ideas listed above to make your charms.
Step 2 – Glue Fingerprint Art to the Glass Gem
- Place a drop of Mod Podge on the back (flat side) of a glass cabochon in the shape of your choice and place it on the art as shown in the video.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
Step 3 – Cut Away the Remaining Paper Around the Glass Cabochon
- Use a pair of small scissors or a precision knife and a cutting mat to trim and cut away paper from the glass cabochon for the fingerprint art keychain or backpack charms. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
Step 4 – Glue the Glass Cabochon into the Keychain Charm Pendant Tray
- Use diamond glaze adhesive to glue the glass cabochon into a charm pendant tray of the same shape.
- Place the glass cabochon with fingerprint art into the pendant tray and allow it to dry overnight.
Fingerprint Art Keychain and Backpack Charms Gift Idea
Use this easy fingerprint art keychain and backpack charms tutorial to make a gift for a friend, family member, or favorite teacher. Fingerprint art, thumbprint heart, and fingerprint flower glass magnets are also always a big hit with friends and family.
Fingerprint art keychains and backpack charms are an easy gift idea for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, birthday, end of school, or back to school teacher gift that kids, teens, and adults can make. DIY Photo necklaces or photo keychains also make unique handmade gift ideas.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
If you Liked Fingerprint Art Backpack Charms, You May Also Like:
- Fingerprint Art Glass Magnets
- Fingerprint Art Necklaces
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Ultimate Family Gift Guide
- Homemade Gifts for Dad from Kids
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!