A DIY handprint jewelry dish makes a unique gift idea. Family members love receiving handmade crafts that kids make.
For a collection of other beautiful gifts that kids can make click HERE.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Handprint Jewelry Dish Keepsake Craft
These ring bowls were inspired by these ring dishes by A beautiful mess. Instead of making them round, I decided to make them into the shape of my daughter’s handprint. Her grandparents are going to love them!
The necklace in the jewelry dish above and below is a drawing of my daughters that I had made into a necklace. For more information about kid’s art jewelry click HERE! Or you can have your child make a beaded mom necklace!
DIY Handprint Keepsake Craft: Materials
- Polyform clay assorted Colors & White
- Rolling pin or polyform Sculpey acrylic clay roller
- Precision glass cutting mat
- X-acto Knife or clay tools
- Child’s hand
- Card stock or paper
- Bake safe bowl
- Acrylic metallic paint
- Paint brush
- Oven bake clay bond and glaze pack (optional)
How to Make a Handprint Jewelry Dish
1. Make a hand template. Trace your child’s hand. It’s almost impossible to trace your child’s hand perfectly. Clean up the lines until you like the shape and then cut it out. I used cardstock to have a sturdy template to use over and over again, but you can also use regular paper. You only need to trace one hand. You can flip it to either side to make a left or right-handed jewelry dish.
2. Head on over to A Beautiful Mess to see their beautiful ring dishes and check out their tips with pictures HERE. My daughter and I started out using their directions and then played with mixing the clays in different ways to get different effects:
- Select a few colors and roll them into different sized snakes (thin vs thick) to vary the effect.
- A tiny bit of black clay added into the mix really gives them the best look with or without the gray.
- To get a super marbled swirly look, roll your mixed ball of clay into a snake again. Next, fold it in half and twist it up super tight AGAIN!
- Reuse the scraps from two or more dishes to make another dish. Roll the scraps from each dish into one or more snakes and then twist them together. You can even add in some extra clay of any color if you like.
DIY Handprint Jewelry Dish Directions Continued
3. Roll your twisted marbled clay into a ball and use a rolling pin to flatten. Place your hand template on top and cut it out using the knife in these clay tools or an x-acto knife. This should be done by an adult.
We used a precision glass cutting mat for rolling out and cutting our hand-shaped ring dishes. I often use it to protect our work surface from both stains and cuts.
4. Place cut out clay hand into an oven safe bowl and bake according to the clay manufacturer’s directions. We cooked ours for 15-20 minutes @275 degrees.
5. Allow each marbled clay jewelry dish keepsake to cool completely.
6. Use a small brush to paint acrylic metallic paint around the rim of each jewelry dish and allow to dry. Like cutting out the hands, painting the rim of each hand should be done by an adult. It’s tough to keep the paint only on the rim! Have a wet rag close by to keep it clean as you work.
7. (optional) Use glaze to seal and protect if desired.
The necklace in the hand on the left and in the hand below is a drawing of my daughters that I had made into a necklace. For more information about kid’s art jewelry click HERE!
Other beautiful ideas to gift with these jewelry dishes:
- Disc necklace with birthstones
- Two circle pendant necklace
- Personalized family necklace
- Personalized name necklace
- Delicate name rings
A marbled clay jewelry dish keepsake makes a unique gift idea that friends and family will love. Make some with your kids today!
To learn more about Rhythms of Play click on the link!
You may also like:
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!