Learn how to make a homemade giant spider web Halloween decoration with bare branches (or bamboo) and cotton rope with this easy DIY spider web tutorial.
This Giant outdoor spider web decoration is an easy DIY Halloween decoration idea for your front yard or porch. Impress your neighbors, family, and friends with your own giant Halloween spider web decoration. Giant DIY spider web Halloween decorations filled with spiders, and spider eggs, make it easy to create a spooktacular Halloween front porch.
Related: Spider Egg Halloween Decoration DIY
Giant Spider Web Halloween Decoration
Our giant stick spider web was inspired by THIS Upcycled Halloween spider web wreath made by Susie over at Twitchetts. When I saw her gorgeous creation, I knew I had to recruit my husband to help make a GIANT stick spider web to decorate our front porch.
For another smaller spider web craft made with sticks, check out THIS stick spider web decoration created by Penny at Mother Natured.
Related: Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
Halloween Spider Web DIY Materials:
- Four 3 – 8-foot sticks, bare branches, or bamboo poles
- 3/16 inch by 100 feet white cotton or nylon rope
- Staple gun, zip ties, white duct tape or a glue gun with glue sticks
- Wood screw or white duct tape (optional)
- Drill (optional)
Optional Halloween Spider Web Decorations for a Giant Outdoor Spider Web
- Glow in the dark paracord – This glow in the dark rope would also be fun to use to make a giant spiderweb with sticks.
- Spider Decorations
- DIY Spider Craft – Make this spider craft without the magnet on the bottom and put them on the spider web.
How to Make a Homemade Spider Web Halloween Decoration: Step by Step Directions
Read through the entire DIY spider web directions before attempting to make giant Halloween spider web decorations.
Step 1 – Collect sticks or bare branches for the DIY spider web
- Collect four long sticks or bare branches that are all approximately the same length and size, or purchase bamboo poles.
- 3 – 8-foot sticks work great, depending on the ultimate size desired for the Halloween spider web decoration.
- Use a pair of pruning shears to trim off any excess leaves and twigs.
Step 2 – Fasen bare branches together to form the frame of the spider web Halloween decoration
- Position sticks or bamboo poles to form the shape of a spider web.
- Fasen the bare branches together with white duct tape, or, drill a wood screw through the sticks one at a time to form the base of the spider web.
My husband drilled a 3-inch wood screw into the bare branches that he knew was too long for the job. Next, he hand screwed an old wine bottle cork onto the sharp end to protect anyone from the possibility of injury.
Update: Another easy no-drill way to attach the sticks together is to fasten them together with duct tape, rope, or zip ties arranged in a sturdy fashion. We have tried each of these methods since the first time we made this DIY Halloween decoration, and each of them works.
Step 3 – Weave rope to create the spider web decoration
- Starting from the middle, do your best to weave and wrap the cotton rope around the bare branches, bamboo poles, or sticks in a zig sag pattern until you have a nice sturdy center. This rope center will also help keep the branches or bamboo poles secured together.
- Continue to weave and wrap the rope around the sticks in a spider web pattern from the center outward. You may need to re-weave it from the center outward a few times to create a nice firm web.
- Use a zip-tie, a staple gun, or a glue gun with glue sticks to secure the web to the sticks, and to secure the rope of the spider web to the sticks once the homemade spider web is complete.
DIY Spider Web Note: We have used both bamboo poles and bare branches to make giant spider webs, and have discovered that bamboo is straight and slippery, unlike most bare branches, which can make it hard to weave the web. If you use bamboo, have some white duct tape, or glue gun at the ready as you weave the cotton rope into a spider web to help keep the rope in place so it doesn’t slip and fall apart.
Step 4 – Hang Halloween Spider Web Decorations
- The proper way to hang your giant spider web Halloween decoration will depend on where you are trying to put it. Use a combination of more cotton rope tied to the ends of the sticks, duct tape, zip-ties and/or a staple gun to make sure it is securely attached.
We weaved more rope around the ends of the sticks as we worked to hang our homemade Halloween spider web, which made the rope webbing even bigger and more awesome on our giant outdoor spider web!
Giant Spider Web Outdoor Decoration DIY Photo Tutorial
Giant Outdoor Spider Web DIY Halloween Decoration
Making a giant outdoor spider web Halloween decoration with bare branches, sticks, and a rope is a fun DIY Halloween decoration idea that the whole family can enjoy creating together.
Don’t forget to check out our fall bucket list of fun fall activities for the best autumn EVER.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More DIY Halloween Decoration Ideas
We have created a few more fun DIY Halloween decorations that the whole family can make. Use these fun Halloween decoration DIY ideas to decorate for both Halloween parties and your front porch or yard to entertain trick or treaters on Halloween night!
- Spider Egg Halloween Decoration
- Gorgeous Glowing Halloween Lanterns and Luminaries
- Easy Ghost Craft and DIY Halloween Decoration
- Fall Nature Craft Ideas Including Pumpkin Carving Ideas
- Halloween Spider Door Decorations
- Spider Magnet Craft
- Halloween Porch Decor: Skeleton and Spider Web