Learn how to make a homemade giant spider web Halloween decoration with bare branches (or bamboo) and cotton rope with this easy DIY spider web tutorial. (First published October 10, 2017; this post is updated and republished.)
Here’s a giant outdoor spider web decoration for your front yard or porch. Use the instructions below to make a Halloween spider web decoration to impress your neighbors, family, and friends. A giant DIY spider web and Halloween decorations filled with spiders, and spider eggs, make it easy to create a spooktacular Halloween front porch or yard.
Related: Spider Egg Halloween Decoration DIY
How to Make a Giant Spider Web Halloween Decoration
Our giant stick spider web was inspired by THIS Upcycled Halloween spider web wreath made by Susie over at Twitchetts. When I saw her gorgeous creation, I knew I had to recruit my husband to help make a GIANT stick spider web to decorate our front porch.
For another smaller spider web craft made with sticks, check out THIS stick spider web decoration created by Penny at Mother Natured.
Related: Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
Halloween Spider Web DIY Materials:
Read the step-by-step giant spiderweb instructions in the next section so you know the steps involved and what to expect before choosing the craft supplies you would like to use.
- Four three to eight foot sticks, bare branches, wooden dowel rods, or bamboo poles
- 3/16 inch by 100 (or 200) feet white cotton or nylon rope
- Craft supplies needed to put spider web sticks, branches, or poles together to create spiderweb frame. Choose at least one of the following:
- Craft supplies needed to attach the spiderweb (rope) to the sticks, branches or poles. Choose at least one of the following:
Optional Halloween Spider Web Decorations for a Giant Outdoor Spider Web
- Glow-in-the-dark paracord – This glow-in-the-dark rope would also be fun to use to make a giant spiderweb with sticks.
- Spider Decorations
- DIY Spider Craft – Make this spider craft with or without the magnet on the bottom and put them on your giant spider web for creepy-crawly fun.
How to Make a Homemade Spider Web Halloween Decoration: Step-by-Step Directions
Read through the entire DIY spider web directions before attempting to make giant Halloween spider web decorations.
1. Collect sticks or bare branches for the DIY spider web
- Collect four long sticks or bare branches approximately the same length and size, or purchase bamboo poles.
- 3 – 8-foot sticks work great, depending on the ultimate size desired for the Halloween spider web decoration.
- Use a pair of pruning shears to trim off any excess leaves and twigs.
2. Fasen bare branches together to form the frame of the spider web Halloween decoration
- Position sticks or bamboo poles to form the shape of a spider web.
- Fasen the bare branches with white duct tape, zip ties, or drill a wood screw through the sticks one at a time to form the base of the spider web.
The first time we made a giant spider web for our front porch, my husband drilled a 3-inch wood screw into the bare branches. Next, he hand-screwed an old wine bottle cork onto the sharp end to protect anyone from the possibility of injury.
The next time we made a Halloween spider web, we tried using duct tape and zip ties to fasten the bare branches together instead of a wood screw, which also worked well.
Since then, we have abandoned the wood screw and tried different combinations of duct tape, rope, glue, and zip ties to make this DIY Halloween decoration, and each of them works. So, use the materials you have and give it a try!
3. Weave rope to create the spider web decoration
- Starting from the middle, do your best to weave and wrap the cotton rope around the bare branches, bamboo poles, or sticks in a zig-zag pattern until you have a nice sturdy center. This rope center will also help keep the branches or bamboo poles together.
- Weave and wrap the rope around the sticks in a spider web pattern from the center outward. You may need to re-weave it from the center outward a few times to create a sturdy and firm web.
- Use a zip-tie, a staple gun, white duct tape, or a cordless glue gun with glue sticks to secure the web to the sticks to secure the rope of the spider web to the sticks once the homemade spider web is complete.
DIY Spider Web Note: We have used sticks, bare branches, bamboo poles and wooden dowel rods to make giant spider webs. After making them for several years now, we have discovered that bamboo is straight and slippery, unlike most bare branches, which can make it hard to weave the web. But they look great! So, if you use bamboo to make a spiderweb, have some white duct tape or glue gun at the ready. Use it to help keep the rope in place so it doesn’t slip and fall apart as you weave the cotton rope into a giant spider web.
4. Hang Halloween Spider Web Decorations
- The way to hang your giant spider web Halloween decoration will depend on where you are trying to put it. Use a combination of more cotton rope tied to the ends of the sticks, duct tape, zip ties, or a staple gun to ensure it is securely attached.
We weaved more rope around the ends of the sticks as we worked to hang our homemade Halloween spider web. Doing so made the rope webbing even bigger and more awesome on our giant outdoor spider web!
Related: How to Make a Thankful Tree with bare branches
Giant Spider Web Outdoor Decoration DIY Photo Tutorial
Giant Outdoor Spider Web DIY Halloween Decoration
Making a giant outdoor spider web Halloween decoration with bare branches, sticks, and a rope is a fun and easy DIY Halloween decoration idea that the whole family can enjoy creating together.
Don’t forget to check out our fall bucket list of fun fall activities for the best autumn EVER.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More DIY Halloween Decoration Ideas
We have created a few more fun DIY Halloween decorations that the whole family can make. Use these fun Halloween decoration DIY ideas to decorate for Halloween parties. Or make them for your front porch or yard to entertain trick-or-treaters on Halloween night!
- Spider Egg Halloween Decoration
- Gorgeous Glowing Halloween Lanterns and Luminaries
- Easy Ghost Craft and DIY Halloween Decoration
- Fall Nature Craft Ideas–Including Pumpkin Carving Ideas
- Halloween Spider Door Decorations
- Spider Magnet Craft
- Halloween Porch Decor: Skeleton and Spider Web
More Halloween Ideas
- Halloween Handout Ideas: Healthy Treats and Fun Alternatives for Trick-or-Treaters
- Glowing Ghost Sensory Bottle
- Easy Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
- Glow in the Dark Jack o’ Lantern Pumpkin Sensory Bottle
- The Best Halloween Art Projects for Kids