An easy rainbow shamrock art project for Saint Patrick’s Day. Younger children will need assistance creating their shamrock art, while older kids will be able to complete this salt paint art project from start to finish on their own. Invite the kids to draw their own Shamrock or use the Free printable template.
Rainbow Shamrock Art Project Materials
Several types of art supplies can be used to make rainbow shamrock art for Saint Patrick’s Day. Use liquid watercolors and pipettes or paint brushes or a solid watercolor pallet with a cup of water and a paintbrush. Both are great for fine motor practice and hand-eye coordination. See the directions below for more information.
- Cardstock (plain paper is a bit too thin to handle the weight of this project)
- White glue
- Liquid watercolors or solid watercolor pallet
- Paintbrush or pipette
- FREE Shamrock printable art template (optional)
Related: Easy Rainbow Art Projects Kids LOVE!
How to Set up Salt Paint Shamrock Art Project
As mentioned above, there are a few different ways to paint a rainbow shamrock for Saint Patrick’s Day. Please read through these directions before starting your shamrock craft.
Allow your child to set up the raised salt shamrock art project if they are able to. Younger children will need some help.
- Invite your child to draw a shamrock, draw a shamrock for them or print shamrock art template on cardstock.
- Trace the outline of the shamrock with white glue. Fill the shamrock clover with glue art or leave blank.
- Cover glue with salt
- Shake off the excess salt
Working on a cookie tray makes it easy to keep the salt from going all over the place. Save and recycle the salt that you shake off to make another raised salt painting.
How to Paint a Rainbow Shamrock for Saint Patrick’s Day
- Demonstrate how to use a pipette or a paint brush to apply watercolor paint to the salt that is now stuck to the lines of glue. When using a watercolor pallet apply the paint by touching the brush to the raised salt shamrock. Don’t forget that you will need a cup of water if you choose this option. When using a pipette drop a small amount of color onto the raised salt. Either way is a great fine motor activity to develop the hand.
- Invite children to apply a rainbow of colors to the raised salt shamrock using a pipette or a paint brush.
Kids love watching the colors travel down the line of salt and bleed into each other creating more colors in their rainbow shamrock art. It’s like magic!
My daughter was so excited she was leaning over her salt paint shamrock squealing with excitement as she worked.
Painting a rainbow shamrock art project for Saint Patrick’s day is an activity the kids will LOVE! Preschoolers, kindergartners, and elementary kids will enjoy the painting technique used to create this fun craft.
Another art project that kids will love is making a lucky four leaf clover nature collage. Can’t find a lucky clover? Make one!
Don’t forget to check out this amazing collection of shamrock and four-leaf clover art and craft projects, our spring bucket list, and this awesome collection of easy rainbow art projects for kids!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!