Get creative on rainy days and snow days with this gorgeous color-filled list of winter art projects and winter painting ideas for kids (and adults, too)!
Keep children busy creating art this winter with any of these fun winter art projects and painting ideas for kids. Each winter art project on this list of winter painting ideas includes a complete tutorial with a list of materials and step-by-step instructions. This post was first published on December 19, 2015, and originally contained the top 10 children’s winter painting ideas. However, we have continued to update it (and republish it) over the years to include even more winter art ideas for kids (and adults, too)!
We will continue to add more of the best winter art ideas for children created by young artists and art teachers worldwide. So, bookmark this page and check back each year to see the NEW winter painting ideas you can try! Scroll down to find the best winter tree art, snowman art, winter animal art, snowflake art, winter landscape art project ideas, colorful winter silhouette art, winter mosaics, snowy scenes, and more! You might also enjoy these art project ideas for the Fall, or these arts and crafts made with nature’s treasures.
Related: Winter Solstice Books for Children
Benefits of Winter Artwork for Kids and Adults
Winter crafts, art projects, and painting ideas like those on the list below offer a unique and enriching experience for kids and adults of all ages, providing both creative and therapeutic benefits. You might also enjoy these fun winter activities with a printable bucket list for young and old alike!
Engaging in winter-themed art projects can help children develop fine motor skills and stimulate their imagination. Painting winter landscapes, snowflakes, or festive scenes encourages children to observe and appreciate the subtleties of the season, fostering a deeper connection with nature and the seasonal changes that occur as one season changes to the next. You might also enjoy searching for the “signs of winter” with this fun scavenger hunt idea for kids and adults.
For adults, winter art can be a serene and meditative practice, offering a peaceful retreat from the hustle of daily life in the same way that coloring does. However, creating winter art allows for more self-expression than coloring and can thus be a more powerful tool for stress relief. Each artist can be encouraged to explore more complex techniques, such as using different watercolor painting methods to capture the winter’s quiet beauty, from the crisp blues and whites of snow-covered scenes to the warm glow of a fireside.
Group art projects between teacher and student, parent and children, or a group of adults can be a bonding activity, promoting communication and collaboration, empathy and understanding. Best of all, creating and appreciating art has been linked to improved mental health, providing a sense of accomplishment and boosting overall well-being. Whether crafting homemade winter decorations, painting a winter landscape, making winter arts and crafts, or simply painting and experimenting with cool color palettes, winter art offers a delightful and beneficial pursuit for kids and adults alike.
Best Winter Art Ideas for Kids (and Adults!)
I hope you find inspiration to create beautiful winter art after seeing this fantastic list of winter painting ideas for kids of all ages. Toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners will need guidance from a parent or teacher to complete these winter art projects while older children, teens, and adults can complete most of these winter painting ideas on their own.
The winter art projects below are placed into categories so it is easy to find the type of winter art ideas for kids you are looking for. Some of these winter-themed projects include printable templates you can use to create gorgeous winter-themed artwork. Click on the creator of each winter art project tutorial to see the complete step-by-step instructions for each winter art idea. Have fun creating winter art with any of these fun winter painting ideas for kids! You might also enjoy these art project ideas for Valentine’s Day.
Winter Tree Art Projects for Kids
Kids and teens love painting winter art for kids with trees and landscapes. This list of children’s winter art ideas contains several different types of winter tree art projects, including winter silhouette painting ideas, alpine tree art, birch tree painting, etc. More winter tree art projects can be found in “Winter Landscape Art Projects” below.
- Colorful Winter Tree Art | Rhythms of Play
- Winter Handprint and Fingerprint Tree Art | Rhythms of Play (create all four seasons or just a winter tree.)
- Silhouette Winter Tree Art | Buggy and Buddy
- Stunning Winter Tree Silhouette | Inner Child Fun
- Easy Birch Tree Painting for Kids | The Educators’ Spin On It
- Birch Tree Winter Art project | How Wee Learn
- Watercolor Winter Birch Tree | Project with Kids Blog
- Colorful Abstract Winter Trees | Mary Making
- Alpine Trees | Painted Paper Art
- Oil Pastel Alpine Tree | Buggy and Buddy
- Bubble Wrap Snowy Tree | Glued to my Crafts
- Winter Tree Painting Ideas | Crafts on Sea
- Aluminum Tape Winter Tree Art Project | Forget Him Knot
- Winter Tree Art | Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Watercolor Tree Cards | Rhythms of Play
- Fingerprint Christmas Tree Cards | Rhythms of Play
Winter Landscape Art Projects for Kids
The winter art projects for kids listed below share how to paint a winter landscape. There are so many gorgeous winter tree art projects available that I had to separate them into “winter tree art projects” and “winter landscape art projects.” Learn how to paint winter scenery in a few different ways with the winter-themed painting ideas below.
Each of these winter landscapes for painters of all ages (except for two of the winter painting ideas) are landscapes that include trees, and most of them also have snow in the foreground. Many of the tree painting ideas listed in the section above could also be considered landscapes or painted as a winter landscape (should the artist choose to do so).
- Snowy Alpine Tree Landscape Watercolor Resist Art | Rhythms of Play
- How to Draw a Winter Landscape | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- Northern Lights Winter Landscape Art Lesson | Katy’s AnelNik Designs & Art Project Ideas
- Winter Watercolor Pine Tree Forrest | Craftsy
- Newspaper Winter Landscape | I Heart Crafty Things
- Winter Holiday Tree Squeegee Painting | Hello Wonderful
- Snowy Day Landscape Collage | Krokotak
- Snowy Town Watercolor Landscape | Adventure in a Box
- Winter Landscape Reflection Art | The Pinterested Parent
Best Winter Animal and Snowman Art Ideas for Kids
What could be more fun than painting winter animals to learn more about them, or working on a winter animal art project? The winter animal art ideas below would make a great addition to a winter-themed homeschool unit. Or learn to draw or paint a snowman with the snowman art project tutorials below the list of winter animal painting ideas.
Related: Easy Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
Winter Bird and Animal Winter Art: Penguin, Cardinal, Owl, and Polar Bear Art Projects
This list of winter art projects for kids includes winter painting ideas for winter animals commonly seen during the winter season. Paint birds, make fingerprint owls, handprint cardinals, or a polar bear craft with the fun winter animal arts and crafts below. If you would like to paint reindeer art, check out these Christmas art projects.
- Mixed Media Winter Birdhouse | The Pinterested Parent
- Penguin Art Project | Deep Space Sparkle
- Handprint Cardinals | Artsonia Art Museum
- Cardinal Art Project | Runde’s Room
- Thumbprint Owls in the Night Sky | Kids Artists
- How to Paint a Snowy Cardinal | Family Focus Blog
- Mixed Media Winter Birds | The Pinterested Parent
- Polar Bear Art | That Artist Woman
- Colorful Polar Bear Pattern Art | The Crafty Classroom
- Easy Polar Bear Process Art | Play to Learn Preschool
Snowman Art Ideas
Here’s a list of snowman painting ideas for kids and adults. Learn how to paint a snowman, or use your fingers and thumbs and white paint to make fingerprint-art snowman cards for Christmas or Valentine’s Day!
- Fingerprint Snowman Art | Rhythms of Play
- How to Draw a (Perspective) Snowman with Chalk Pastels | Design and Play
- Profile of a Snowman Winter Painting Idea | Housing a Forest
- Snowman Directed Drawing | Proud to be Primary
- How to Paint a Simple Snowman | Flower Patch Farmhouse
- Loose Parts Snowman Art for Preschoolers | Teaching 2 and 3-Year-Olds
- How to Paint a Snowman at Night | Step-by-Step Painting by Tracie Kiernan
- Or, make a snowman craft. Learn how to make snowman ornaments and standing figurines with clay with the step-by-step instructions HERE–>Snowman Crafts.
Winter Sky Art Painting Ideas for Kids
Create winter sky art on a blustery day with these fun painting ideas. Winter skies may not be regarded as the most beautiful of the year, but the winter sky art projects and winter painting ideas for kids listed below will put that idea to the test. Learn how to paint snow on canvas or watercolor paper, create beautiful winter mosaic artwork, and more with these fun winter sky painting ideas!
- Windy Day Winter Sky Art (and STEAM experiment) | Rhythms of Play
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Winter Skies | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- Winter Sky Art Mosaics | ARTventurous
- Sparkly Mixed Medium Winter Sky Art Paintings | Stay-at-Home Educator
Fun Winter Rain, Snow, and Ice Art Ideas for Kids
Most winter art projects featured below use rain, snow, and ice to create beautiful winter art! Snowflake art projects and painting ideas are in the next section.
- Rainbow Rainy Day Art STEAM | Rhythms of Play (fun for all ages!)
- Painting Rain Art Prompt | Adventure in a Box
- Snowy Day Tissue Paper Art | Fireflies and Mudpies
- Winter Rain Watercolor Resist | SmArt Class
- How to Paint Icy Winter Path | Step-by-Step Painting by Tracie Kiernan
- Ice Painting | Messy Little Monster (this is a fun art idea for toddlers!)
- Painting on Ice Winter Art Project | Nurture Store
Related: 20 Ways to Play in the Rain
Beautiful Winter Snowflake Art Projects for Kids
Beautiful snowflakes are like winter’s butterflies. Help your children learn about symmetry and create gorgeous patterns, making winter snowflake art with the kids. Try any of the winter snowflake painting ideas below, or make beaded snowflake crafts and ornaments! Snowflake arts and crafts are fun winter crafts to make for the winter holidays and into the New Year!
- Watercolor and Oil Pastel Resist Snowflake Painting Ideas | Arty Crafty Kids
- Winter Watercolor Resist Art with Free Printable Snowflake Template | Fun at Home with Kids
- How to Draw a Snowflake Tutorial and Coloring Page | Art Projects for Kids Blog
- Winter Snowflake Stamp Art | The OT Toolbox
- Snowflake Art Project | The Crafty Classroom
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Winter Art Project | The Pinterested Parent
- Sugar Paint Snowflakes–Winter Sugar Painting for Kids | Kids Craft Room
- Watercolor Doily Paper Snowflakes Art | Kitchen Table Classroom
- Salt Painted Snowflakes | The Best Ideas for Kids
Winter Handprint and Fingerprint Tree Art
Another fun seasonal project is this Four-Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree. Create all four seasons using four mini-canvases, or create a winter handprint tree with fingerprint snow on one piece of paper or a single canvas. Another option is to make a regular tree trunk with fingerprints for snow. Or, try any of these Fingerprint Art Ideas for Kids.
Christmas Art Projects for Kids
Since Christmas occurs at the beginning of the winter, we have decided to include a link to several Christmas painting ideas in our Christmas art round-up. Pop over to have a look at this collection of fun and easy Christmas Art Projects for Kids!
We have collected lots of fun Christmas art ideas, including cute Christmas handprints, footprints, and fingerprint art ideas complete with fingerprint lights, cute handprint carolers, and playful fingerprint snowmen. Invite children to have fun creating any of these fun Christmas art projects and painting ideas.
Valentine’s Day Art Projects and Painting Ideas
Finish off the winter with some fun Valentine’s Day art ideas! Click on the link for this awesome collection of Valentine’s Day painting ideas, including handprint, footprint, fingerprint, heart art projects, and painting ideas for kids! Or, try any of these Heart Art Projects.
Winter Art Projects for Kids
Painting winter landscapes and creating winter art of all kinds is a fun way to connect with nature and the great outdoors during the colder winter months when we begin to spend more time indoors.
What are your favorite winter arts and crafts projects on this list? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. For even more fun winter ideas for kids and adults, check out winter solstice celebration ideas and this list of fun winter activities with a printable bucket list.
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
More Painting Ideas for Kids (and adults, too!)
- Painting with Foam Blocks
- Single Color Wet-on-Wet Watercolor Painting
- Painted Votives Kids Can Make
- Rainbow Art Projects Kids LOVE!