Rainbow rainy day art is an easy STEAM activity for kids. Toddlers, Preschoolers, Kindergarteners and school-age kids will enjoy this hands-on rain art and educational science learning activity.
Kids love to draw using a rainbow of colors and watch how quickly their drawings are transformed by the rain. Have fun getting creative and learning with the kids with this art and science STEAM activity.
No rain? Read below to find out how to try this rainy day art science activity using another easy method kids will LOVE!
Related: Shadow Art Outdoor Science
How to Make Rainbow Rainy Day Art
Making rainbow rainy day art is a simple and fun STEAM activity for kids. All you need are some washable markers, watercolor paper, and the desire to have fun and get creative on a rainy day.
I recommend a heavyweight (140lb) watercolor paper to be able to withstand the rain. I do not recommend the ultra washable markers because they wash away too much. Use the regular washable markers if you can find them.
If you really want to try this activity but don’t have any rain in the forecast, I recommend using a Haws Indoor Plastic Watering Can to ‘rain’ on your drawings.
This style of watering creates a light sprinkling of water that would easily transform rainbow drawings into rainbow rainy day art. Take it outside to use it or try it in the bath, shower, or large sink.
Related: 20 Ways to Play in the Rain
Rain Art Supplies:
Rainbow Rainy Day Art Directions:
1. Draw on paper using a rainbow of colors. You can draw a rainbow like the one above, you can doodle using all of the colors of the rainbow like the photos below, or draw in any other way your heart desires.
2. Place your rainbow drawing out in the rain and watch what happens. Kids love this! Alternatively, you can put it outside and set a timer to go back and check it in a few minutes. Don’t leave it out too long in a heavy rain or it will all wash away!
3. Pick up your rainbow rainy day art and carefully bring it inside to allow to dry. Hold it as flat as possible when you carry it in.
The colors may shift and change depending on how much water is on the paper. Watching the colors move on wet paper is also loads of fun for kids!
Related: Top 10 Rainbow Suncatchers
Rainy day art is an easy STEAM activity for kids. Children love to learn as they watching colorful pictures transform in the rain.
If you liked Rainy Day Art STEAM Activity for Kids, You may also like:
- Art and Science: Experiment with Watercolor Resist
- Single Color Wet-on-Wet Watercolor Painting
- Kids Books That Teach Important Life Lessons
- Four Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- DIY Projects for Do It Yourself Families
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!