Here’s a fun collection of under-the-sea art projects and ocean-themed craft ideas for kids! (First published June 6, 2017; this post is regularly updated and republished to improve the content.)
Each ocean art project tutorial on this list of under-the-sea painting ideas provides a fun opportunity to explore watercolor art at home or in the classroom. Creating under-the-sea arts and crafts with watercolors and black glue is a great addition to a ocean-themed study unit for preschoolers, kindergarteners, elementary students, and older kids, too.
Both children and adults can enjoy this stress-relieving watercolor activity. The contrast of the black glue and bright watercolor paints creates a vibrant work of art. And many of these ocean crafts turn out so beautifully that they can be hung on the wall or framed and given as a unique homemade gift idea. You might also enjoy creating Rose Watercolor Art.
Related: Sea Shells Calm Down Sensory Bottle
Under-the-Sea Art Projects and Ocean-Themed Crafts
Dive into a world of creativity and wonder with under-the-sea art, painting ideas and ocean-themed crafts designed for kids preschool age and up. Enjoy the stress-relieving activity of using black glue and watercolor paints to color under the sea art with this fun collection of easy ocean scene watercolor art projects for children and adults.
Encourage little explorers to unleash their imaginations as they embark on an artistic journey beneath the waves with their paintbrushes. The possibilities are as vast as the ocean, from vibrant watercolor seascapes to adorable sea creature paintings. Watch as their eyes light up with excitement while crafting underwater ocean scens, where mermaids, seashells, colorful fish, jelly fish, and seaweed come alive at the bottom of the ocean floor.
Young minds can not only refine their fine motor skills while engaging in these creative under-the-sea activities and sea craft ideas, but also gain valuable insights into marine life and environmental awareness. You might also enjoy this mermaid tail sensory bottle and these beach fairy garden ideas.
How do you introduce the ocean to preschoolers?
Explaining the ocean to preschoolers requires using simple and relatable language. Using simple comparisons, relating it to their own experiences, and emphasizing the ocean’s beauty and importance will help preschoolers grasp the concept. While creating ocean inspired arts and crafts like those on the list below will continue to inspire their curiosity and help them connect to ocean life and the many amazing wonders under the sea.
So, before inviting preshoolers to create ocean arts and crafts, share any of these simple statements about the ocean with them:
- The ocean is like a gigantic, beautiful world covering a big part of our planet. It’s like a massive swimming pool, but even more enormous and filled with water. Like the water in your bathtub or on a water table, the ocean water can be wavy and splashy but much bigger.
- The ocean is home to many amazing creatures like colorful fish, playful dolphins, and giant whales. They all live underwater, like our fish friends in the fish tank. And the ocean is so deep in some areas that it contains special plants, rocks, and unique sea creatures that are rarely seen.
- When you visit the beach, you can feel the soft sand between your toes and hear the sound of the waves crashing. That’s the ocean saying ‘hello!’ to us. Some people love to swim, surf, and build sandcastles at the beach, all thanks to the ocean.
- The ocean is important for our planet and the animals that live in it. It helps give us fresh air to breathe and makes our weather nice and balanced. So, like the surface of the Earth, we must take care of it and all the sea creatures, just like we take care of our toys, family, and friends.
12 Amazing Under the Sea Black Glue Ocean Art Projects
Check out the amazing round-up of black glue and watercolor ocean art projects below. Creating under-the-sea art with watercolor paints and black glue is an easy way to connect with the kids while doing something creative. And many of these projects come with a free printable template to make it easy to create gorgeous ocean art.
A photo of each art project can be found in the photo collages above and below. Click on the blog that created the ocean-themed craft to see the step-by-step instructions for each under-the sea project tutorial.
- Starfish Watercolor Art | Rhythms of Play
- Seahorse Black Glue Craft | I Heart Crafty Things
- Black Glue Jellyfish Art | Arty Crafty Kids
- Octopus Watercolor Glue Resist Art | Mum in the Madhouse
- Rainbow Fish Craft | The Best Ideas for Kids
- Shark Black Glue Art | Red Ted Art
- Turtle Black Glue Resist Art | Easy Peasy and Fun
- Black Glue Watercolor Sea Shells | The Pinterested Parent
- Printable Mermaid Posters | Artsy Momma
- Black Glue Rainbow Narwhal Art for Kids | Hello Wonderful
- Dory and Nemo Inspired Black Glue Craft | Sunshine Whisperers
- Black Glue Sea Snail Art | Fireflies & Mud Pies
Invite your little Picassos explore the boundless wonders of the sea with this list of ocean art projects and painting ideas where they can connect with ocean life in new and imaginative ways. The contrast of the black glue and watercolor paints creates gorgeous ocean arts and crafts that can be given as an under-the-sea gift or hung on the wall. You might also enjoy this list of Flower Art Projects and painting ideas.
Related: Easy Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
More Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art Projects
If you like working with resist mediums, you may like black glue resist art. Click on any of the projects below to learn all about it!
- Winter Tree Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art
- Rose Black Glue Resist Art Project
- Fall Leaves Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art Project
Enjoy the stress-relieving activity of coloring with black glue and watercolors with this fun collection of easy under-the-sea art and ocean themed craft projects. Create some under-the-sea crafts today!
Happy crafting! Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Under the Sea Art and Ocean-Themed Crafts
- How to Sew a Narwhal
- Glittering Mermaid Tail Sensory Bottle
- Beach Fairy Garden Ideas
- Soothing Sea Shell Sensory Bottle