Wooden Bead Bracelet Kids Craft Gift Idea
Learning how to make a wooden bead bracelet is an easy craft for first-time Jewelry makers.
Beading is a great fine motor activity for kids and adults of all ages. No prior experience is necessary. They make great gifts for Mother’s Day, birthday’s, and Christmas!
You may also like Beautiful Gifts Kids Can Make.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Wooden Bead Bracelet Kids Craft
An older child will be able to make a wooden bead bracelet with minimal guidance while a younger child will most likely need a little help from a caregiver. I would consider this to be a 3 plus craft due to the size of the beads.
Beading is an excellent skill for fine motor development, literacy, and math. Once they learn the basics of beading, children can work on building patterns and different color combinations.
Wooden Bead Bracelet Kids Craft Materials :
- Wooden beads
- 1 mm stretch cord for jewelry making
- Craft glue or glue gun
- Plastic needle (optional for younger children)
Wooden Bead Bracelet Kids Craft Directions:
Step 1 – Tie stretch cord to darning needle (Optional for younger children)
- Cut a 2 – 3 foot section of stretch cord.
- If not using a plastic needle tie a knot on one end of the stretch cord and continue to step 2.
- Thread one side of stretch cord through darning needle.
- Pull all the way though to make a double line of stretch cord.
- Tie the ends of the stretch cord into a knot 2-4 times. Make sure the knot is large enough to stop the beads from pulling through.
Step 2 – String beads
- Place bead on the needle to string wooden bead bracelets.
- Pull bead all the way through to the bottom of the stretch cord.
If your child has never strung beads before allow them to watch you string a few first. Show more than tell. Children learn best by watching and modeling others.
Step 3 – Tie off wooden bead bracelets
- It’s important to start with enough stretch cord. The cord in the photo on the left below was a bit short but I was able to make it work.
- Cut off the darning needle. (Skip this step if not using needle)
- Tie cord together. Get the beads as close as possible without overstretching the stretch cord.
- Trim off the excess stretch cord with scissors.
Step 4 – Secure wooden bead bracelets
- Place a drop of glue on the knot.
- Tuck the knot with glue into one of the beads.
- Wipe off excess glue with a q-tip.
- This secures the knot and makes it stronger.
Learning how to make a wooden bead bracelet is a simple craft for first-time jewelry makers. Making beaded bracelets is an easy fine motor activity for kids and adults of all ages. No prior experience is necessary. This kid-made jewelry makes a great gift idea for Mother’s Day, birthday’s, and Christmas!
You May Also Like:
- Gifts Kids Can Make
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- Pony bead and Prism Suncatchers
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
- Green Crafty and Creative
- Yum! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, learning through play, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…