DIY rainbow yarn art book activity for kids is a book inspired art project and fine motor activity for kids. This easy book craft idea was inspired by the children’s story “My Color Is Rainbow.”
When author Agnes Hsu of Hello Wonderful offered my daughter and I a free copy of her new book in exchange for a review we jumped at the chance. We fell in love with the sweet story of Little White Arch and his journey to find his “color.”
After reading it, we created a super fun rainbow yarn art book activity to go with it. I hope you enjoy making rainbow yarn art as much as my daughter does!
Related: Rainbow Art Projects Kids LOVE!
How to Make Book Inspired Rainbow Yarn Art
This rainbow yarn art activity for kids was inspired by the children’s book “My Color Is Rainbow.”
My Color Is Rainbow shares a timely message of unity, kindness, and acceptance. We all share the same colors, it’s how we choose to express them that makes us who we are.
If your child is not familiar with this book yet, I have provided alternative directions below.
Related: Rainbow Rainy Day Art
Rainbow Yarn Art Supplies
- Cotton Yarn (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple)
- White Glue
- Small Bowl
- Black permanent marker (a regular black marker will run)
- Heavyweight watercolor paper or cardstock
- Wet Rag
Rainbow Yarn Art Book Activity for Kids Directions
Making rainbow yarn art is an easy way for kids to develop the fine motor muscles in the hand. Fine motor activities strengthen the hand in preparation for writing. This easy activity will also help kids learn their colors.
Set up Rainbow Yarn Art:
- Cut several 10 to 16-inch strands of cotton yarn in a rainbow of colors. We used red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple because these were the colors listed and described in the book. I began by cutting four strands of each color which turned out to be just right. If your child only wants to use one or two colors, you can cut a few more strands of the color they’d like to work with.
- Use a black permanent marker to draw Little While Arch onto heavyweight watercolor paper or cardstock. Using a black permanent marker will ensure that the ink does not run all over your project. Regular paper can be used, but it is not strong enough to handle the weight of this project. If your child is not familiar with this book you can draw a simple outline of a rainbow, or allow your child to create their own rainbow using the cotton yarn however they please.
- Mix white glue with an equal amount of water in a small bowl.
Invite Child to Create Rainbow Yarn Art:
- Demonstrate how to soak a strand of yarn in the glue and water mixture and then place onto Little White Arch.
- Invite your child to create rainbow yarn art by dipping each strand of yarn in glue and placing it onto the paper. Allow them to choose their colors. They may want to be a rainbow, like Little White Arch, or they may want to be all orange or blue. This project could be used as an art therapy tool by social workers and therapists. You may also enjoy Social-Emotional Development Games for Kids and Feelings Books for Kids.
- Use the wet rag to wipe up any glue drips before they dry.
Rainbow Yarn Art Book Activity for Kids Process:
My daughter loved making rainbow yarn art as much as she enjoyed this book. She squealed with delight when she saw little white arch drawn upon the paper.
I demonstrated how to dip a strand of yarn into the glue and water mixture and place it on the paper to make a rainbow. Then invited her to give it a try. She loved it!
This book inspired rainbow yarn art project is a great art project and fine motor activity for kids preschool age and up. A fun craft that can also help kids learn their colors and strengthen the hand in preparation for writing.
Invite the kids to try this easy book activity inspired by the children’s story “My Color Is Rainbow.” Another fun book inspired rainbow activity that the kids love is making rainbow sprinkle star kindness cookies.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If you Liked Rainbow Yarn Art, You May Also enjoy:
- Kids Books That Teach Important Life Lessons
- Rainbow Rainy Day Art
- Pony Bead Rainbow Prism Suncatcher
- Rainbow Galaxy Sensory Bottle
Join the Rhythms of Play Community!
Enter your email address to receive our newsletter AND immediate access to our Free Art Template Download Page!