A spring nature table is a space in the home used for placing natural items that reflect the season. It is meant to be explored and used as a nature study aid in the home. Nature tables are perfect for sensory development and imaginative play and are often used in Montessori and Waldorf education.
There are many wonderful ways to design a nature table. The space you have, your purpose, your interests, the resources you have available, the age(s) of your children, and your mood will all influence the nature table you create.
Related: Summer Nature Table Ideas
Spring Nature Table Purpose
When you have a spring nature table, your children will be excited to get outside exploring nature and learning about everything under the sun.
There is so much more going on than the simple collecting and admiring of these objects. Talk with your kids about what they find to help them learn more about the world around them.
It’s very exciting for my daughter to find things to take home to explore in more depth. The sparkle I see in her eyes when she declares that she is going to bring something home for the nature table makes it all worthwhile.
Studying nature and the seasons is not the only use for nature tables. Playing with nature tables provides a rich sensory experience for the child. They are also wonderful for imaginative play.
Spring Nature Table Directions
Making a spring nature table is fun and easy. You can be as minimal or extravagant as you please. The basic idea is to place items on it found in nature, and items that reflect the season of spring.
Make it something your family likes to look at and your children love to explore. Some ideas include:
- Get outside on a nature hunt to collect things to bring home to explore in more depth.
- Create spring arts and crafts to place on it. Ideas include wooden egg crafts, flower art, a rainstick, and spring chick crafts.
- Dig your spring box out of storage and find things to display that you love.
- Place natural sentimental objects like crystals and your favorite nature finds like heart rocks that are okay for your children to touch.
- Make a spring, Easter Tree or butterfly tree to put on it.
Make is something meaningful for you and your family and you can’t go wrong.
Items on Our Spring Nature Table
- In Waldorf education, playsilks are often draped on the nature tables and used to create nature scenes like the one above. We used play silks in emerald, lime & turquoise to reflect the green grasses and ponds typical of the spring season.
- My daughter loves ducks so we made a little duck pond with these cute little duck candles, blue sea glass, and a turquoise playsilk.
- DIY Wooden Easter Eggs and Spring Chicks. These represent the life cycle and new beginnings found at this time of year.
- A spring nature sensory bin with blooming herbs to smell, small pine cones, sticks, feathers and rocks my daughter collected. You can use any natural materials found in your area at this time of year. Nature sensory baskets should be kept on or near the nature table. If you use a large bin that you don’t want to look at, it can be slid under the table so your child can easily access it.
- Spring board book by Gurda Muller. Muller has a book for all seasons and we always have one of her books on our nature table. For more spring book ideas see Spring Books for Kids.
- A mother bluebird of happiness and a baby bluebird of happiness. The spring is mating season for many birds so these represent new beginnings, happiness in our home, and our mother-daughter bond. (Please don’t include small or breakable objects if your children are very young.)
- A branch from the oak tree in our backyard to make a log by the pond. My husband used a saw to cut a piece from a fallen branch and then split it in half.
- Live house plants.
- A small vase with fresh flowers from our yard.
- A spring, Easter Tree or Butterfly Tree.
- A birdhouse that my father in law painted and gave to my husband and I with money in it on our wedding day. It would also be fun to make recycled birdhouse ornaments if you will be including a spring tree.
Related: DIY Nature Memory Game
Make Your Own Spring Nature Table
You can see how we used natural found and sentimental items that have meaning for our family on our spring nature table.
Enjoy creating a spring nature table for your kids that is perfect for your family. You can create your nature table exactly as you like, you can be as minimal or as outlandish as you please.
There are no limits other than the limits of your own imagination.
If you liked Spring Nature Table Ideas, You May Also Like
- Ways to Celebrate the Spring Solstice
- Planting Spring Flowers
- Planting Sunflowers
- Spring Books for Kids
- Search for Signs of Spring
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!