Learn all about the German Easter Egg Tree tradition, and, how to make a spring Easter Tree with these easy step by step instructions!
An Easter egg tree is a fun Easter tradition that originated in Germany long ago. Originally, an outdoor tree or bush was selected to decorate with hollowed-out eggs. Today, they are decorated both inside and outside of the home with Easter eggs and many other types of Easter ornaments and Easter tree decorations.
Our family cherishes the Easter tree tradition. We enjoy making new Easter ornaments and decorating our Easter egg tree every year. We like to display our Easter tree as a centerpiece on our spring nature table in the weeks before Easter. It is also the perfect decoration to place on the dining table for Easter brunch.
What is an Easter Tree?
An Easter egg tree is a tree or bush that is decorated with hollowed-out eggs, Easter ornaments, and other Easter tree decorations. They are gorgeous yet simple Easter decorations for your home, workplace, or classroom. They also make a gorgeous DIY centerpiece for your Easter table.
Children from toddlers to preschoolers and kindergarteners to teens and adults enjoy making and decorating Easter trees. Make homemade Easter ornaments and decorate an Easter egg tree with the kids as a fun Easter tradition that the whole family is sure to love.
German Easter Egg Tree Tradition
As mentioned above, the Easter egg tree tradition, also known as Ostereierbaum, is centuries old and is said to have originated in Germany.
Making a spring Easter Egg Tree is a fun way to connect with the kids and an easy way to add Spring decor to your home. Children love to decorate Easter egg trees as much as Christmas trees!
Easter eggs, Easter ornaments, and Easter decorations can either be hung on trees and bushes outside or on bare branches and small trees inside the home.
We like to use our Easter tree as a centerpiece on our spring nature table in the weeks before Easter, and as a centerpiece on the dining table for Easter dinner.
Decorating a tree with eggs and other fun ornaments that we have made over the years is an Easter tradition cherished by our whole family.
Easter Egg Tree Ideas
Use these quick and easy Easter egg tree ideas to make an Easter tree for your home, classroom, business, or workplace.
Either use natural bare branches and large twigs to make an Easter egg tree similar to the Easter tree pictured above or, buy a small twig tree, a small tree with lights, or one of the Easter trees to buy that we have listed below.
Next, decorate the Easter egg tree with Easter eggs and other Easter ornaments.
Easter Egg Tree Supplies
- Collect bare branches, or, purchase a small twig tree or a small tree with lights
- Sand, pebbles, rocks, or flat-backed marbles
- DIY Easter Tree ornaments and/or ready-made Easter Ornaments and Easter Tree decorations
How to Make DIY Easter Egg Tree
Learn how to make an Easter egg tree with bare branches and twigs with these quick and easy step-by-step how-to instructions.
Step 1 – Collect Bare Branches and Twigs
- Encourage the kids to go out on a nature hunt in search of fallen twigs and branches that will fit in a vase and work to make an Easter Tree.
- Small thin limbs that are two to four feet long work best.
Step 2 – Trim Limbs and Branches
- First, use pruning shears to trim off any excess foliage on the tree limb or branch.
- Next, trim each bare branch to the shape and size desired.
Step 3 – Paint Branches White or Leave Them Natural
- Leave branches and twigs natural, or, use spray paint to paint them white. (As shown in photos)
- If you choose to paint, allow tree twigs and branches to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 4 – Place Twigs and Branches In A Vase
- Place the Easter egg tree branches and twigs one by one into a medium to a large vase.
- The idea is to arrange the branches like you would arrange a vase of fresh flowers. Turn them and move them until the tree forms a nice shape.
Step 5 – Add Vase Filler of Choice
- Add sand, pebbles, rocks, or other vase filler to fill in the spaces between the Easter egg tree branches to stabilize and beautify.
- Using a vase filler to fill in the spaces between the bare branches gives the homemade Easter tree a more appealing look, and provides the weight the vase needs to keep the tree stable and standing.
Step 6 – Glue Pom Pom’s Onto Branches (optional)
- Before decorating your DIY Easter Tree, it is optional to glue pom-poms onto the branches of it.
- Have a look at the pom-poms that we glued onto our Thankful Tree to learn how!
Step 7 – Decorate Easter Tree
- Decorate your Easter tree with any of the gorgeous DIY and ready-made Easter egg tree decorations and ornaments listed below!
Related: How to Color Natural Brown Eggs
Decorate Your DIY Easter Egg Tree
Put the DIY Easter egg tree or small twig tree on a table and invite students, co-workers, or family to decorate it with any of the fun Easter egg tree decoration ideas listed below.
Our daughter LOVES decorating our Easter tree with ornaments every spring before Easter.
How to Decorate a Tree for Easter
Traditionally hollowed eggs were used to decorate Easter trees. This is why they are called Easter egg trees.
While eggs of all kinds make fantastic Easter tree ornaments, there are a few other items you can use to decorate an Easter egg tree.
We’ve rounded up a gorgeous collection of DIY Easter Tree Ornaments that you can make including pom-pom chicks, toilet paper roll birdhouses, and traditional hollowed eggs. Or, scroll down to find a list of gorgeous ready-made Easter egg tree decorations.
Easter Tree Ornaments
Decorate an Easter tree with any of the gorgeous Easter tree ornaments listed below.
- Easter Egg Ornaments
- Real Eggshell Hand Painted Bunny Easter Eggs
- Stained Glass Easter Egg Ornaments
- Real Eggshell Hand Painted Bunny and Flowers
- Floral Wooden Pysanky Easter Egg Ornaments
Decorate a Tree for Easter This Year!
Add a touch of meaning and magic to your home with an Easter egg tree. Children from toddlers to teens love decorating seasonal trees and an Easter tree is no exception.
An Easter tree adds a spring element to your home decor. It also makes a perfect centerpiece or a lovely addition to your spring nature table.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Easter Ideas
- Easy Bunny Craft
- Fun Family Easter Traditions
- Easter Egg Decorating Ideas
- Wooden Easter Egg Decorating Ideas
- Watercolor Surprise Easter Egg Art
- Eco-Friendly Easter Basket Ideas
- Easter Art Projects
- Natural Toys for Easter Baskets
- DIY Easter Baskets