Learn how to make no-sew felt flowers with this easy flower craft lesson for kids and adults. This simple felt flowers DIY tutorial shares how to make an arrangement of flowers on a twig stem, pipe cleaner, or wooden dowel.
Make mom a felt flower on a twig stem, or give her a whole felt flower bouquet! Felt flowers make a great gift idea for Mother’s Day, or, just to say I love you to that special someone any day of the year.
A felt flower bouquet also makes a lovely centerpiece that will last all winter long!
Related: Easy Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
Related: Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
How to Make Felt Flowers and Felt Flower Bouquets
Making flowers out of felt is an easy craft for kids, teens, and adults. This easy felt flower tutorial shares how to use felt, pom poms and twigs to make a felt flower arrangement on twig stems.
First, you will need to go on a nature hunt to collect some thin bare branches or twigs to make an arrangement of felt flowers on a twig stem. Alternatively, you can use a wooden dowel, or pipe cleaners to make this easy flower craft.
If you choose to use pipe cleaners instead of twigs, use two twisted together so that they will be sturdy enough to stand up with a felt flower attached to the top.
Related: Best Flower Art Projects
4 Easy Ways to Make Flowers Out of Felt – No Sew
Choose one of the four methods to make felt flowers listed below. Collect the flower craft supplies that you need and begin the felt flowers DIY tutorial at the step listed for the method or technique that you choose.
- Download and print the free printable flower pattern. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 1.)
- Create your own felt flower templates. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 2.)
- Use a flower cookie cutter. You will need everything listed in the materials section below except for the cardstock. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 3.)
- Order pre-cut felt flowers HERE or HERE. (Begin the felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 5 if using the pre-cut felt flowers) You will only need twigs (or pipe cleaners), pruning shears, pompoms and a glue gun with glue sticks to complete this felt craft.
**NOTE: The flower cookie cutter is about 4 inches in diameter, the pre-cut flowers range from 1 inch to 2 inches in diameter, and the printable felt flower pattern templates we provide are approximately 3 inches in diameter.
Related: Pinecone Rose Mother’s Day Card
Easy Felt Flowers Craft Supplies
- Free flower pattern printable template, OR a flower cookie cutter, OR pre-cut felt flowers HERE or HERE.
- Disappearing ink pen
- Sewing scissors or precision scissors (sharp scissors make cutting felt easy)
- Thin bare branches or twigs, OR, pipe cleaners, OR, wooden dowels painted green
- Pruning shears (if making twig stems)
- Glue gun with glue sticks or glue dots
- Vase (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
Related: Rose Watercolor Art Project
Felt Flowers DIY Video Tutorial
Related: Mother-Daughter Necklace Set DIY
Felt Flowers DIY Step by Step Tutorial
There are 4 different techniques that you can use to make felt flowers and felt flower bouquets using this tutorial. Choose one of the 4 options listed above and begin at the felt flowers DIY tutorial step directed below.
As another alternative, Mommy Moment has another method to make a felt flower arrangement on a twig stem that you can read HERE.
Step 1 – Download and Print Free Printable Flower Pattern Template (Optional)
- Download our free printable flower pattern and print it out onto cardstock. Regular printer paper can also be used, but cardstock is better for making strong flower templates to trace.
Step 2 – Cut Flower Templates out of Free Flower Pattern Printable
- If you are not ordering the pre-cut flowers or using a cookie cutter to trace, cut the flower templates out of the free flower pattern printable.
- Use one flower pattern to make a bunch of the same flowers, or one of each flower… up to you! (Note: Some flowers are easier than others for children to cut out.)
- Alternatively, you can draw your own flower templates onto cardstock and cut them out.
Step 3 – Trace Flower Template or Flower Cookie Cutter with Disappearing Ink on Felt
- Trace the free flower patterns that you have cut into cardstock templates or a flower cookie cutter with disappearing ink. Yes, disappearing ink really disappears even on white felt! The ink can either be washed away with water, or it will disappear in about 24 hours.
- **WARNING: Do not trace your flowers and leave them to cut out the next day or you may not have anything left to trace–lol!!
Step 4 – Cut Flowers out of Felt
- Cut the flowers out of the felt. Felt is tricky to cut, make it easy on yourself with a pair of sewing scissors or small sharp precision scissors.
Step 5 – Make Pipe Cleaner, Wooden Dowel, or Twig Stems for Felt Flowers
How to Use Pruning Sheers to Trim Twigs for Felt Flowers
- Use pruning shears to trim thin bare branches and twigs down to the desired height.
- Measure the height by standing the twigs next to a vase before you cut them.
- Trim both ends for a clean look.
How to Use Pipe Cleaners to Make flower stems
- Twist two pipe cleaners together to make a stem sturdy enough to attach a felt flower.
- Measure height next to flower vase and trim if needed.
How to Use a Wooden Dowel to Make a Flower Stem
- Paint thin wooden dowel green and allow to dry. (optional)
- Measure height next to flower vase and trim if needed.
Step 6 – Glue pompom and Felt Flower on a Twig Stem, Pipe Cleaner or Wooden Dowel
- Fold the flower in half to cut a very small hole in the middle of it.
- Thread the tip of a twig, pipe cleaner, or wooden dowel through the small hole in the flower.
- Use a glue gun to glue a pompom onto the tip of the twig and the felt flower to secure it in place.
Step 7 – Place flowers in a vase or tie a ribbon around a Felt Flower Bouquet
- Place your gorgeous felt flowers in a vase or tie a ribbon around them to create a handheld bouquet of flowers.
- Single flowers in a vase or with felt leaves glued to them are also lovely.
- Optional: Use your felt scraps and extra pompoms as a colorful vase filler!
Related: Lovebirds Felt Softie
Felt Flower Craft Gift idea
Single flowers and handheld bouquets of flowers made out of felt are an easy gift idea that both kids teens and adults can make.
Give mom (or grandma) a single flower or a whole bouquet for Mother’s day, make one for her on Valentine’s Day, or just to say I love you any day of the year!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Easy Flower Crafts and Art Projects
- Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
- Pinecone Rose Mother’s Day Card
- Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
- Watercolor Rose Art Project
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, learning through play, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…