Learn how to make no-sew felt flowers with this easy flower craft lesson for kids and adults.
Make mom a single felt flower on a twig stem, or give her an entire felt flower bouquet. Felt flowers make a great gift idea for Mother’s Day, or to say I love you to that special someone any day of the year. Give one to someone you love to brighten their day!
This simple felt flower DIY tutorial shares how to arrange flowers on a twig stem, pipe cleaner, or a wooden dowel. A felt flower bouquet makes a lovely floral centerpiece that lasts all year. Make felt flowers to cure the winter blues, or as a fun spring flower craft idea, you can make with the kids. You might also enjoy making a flower lei necklace and any other flower arts and crafts on this list of Flower Art Projects for Kids.
Related: Fingerprint Flower Glass Magnets
How to Make Felt Flowers and Felt Flower Bouquets
Making flowers out of felt is an easy craft for kids, teens, and adults. And, here’s a felt flower tutorial that shares how to use felt and pom-poms to make a flower arrangement with felt on pipe cleaners, wooden dowels, or twig stems. So, before you get started, you will need to decide on the craft materials you will use to make your felt flower craft or bouquet.
If you use twigs to make the stem for each felt flower, you will need to go on a nature hunt to collect some thin bare branches or twigs before getting started. Alternatively, you can use a wooden dowel or pipe cleaners to make this easy flower craft.
And, if you choose to use pipe cleaners instead of twigs, it is best to twist two pipe cleaners or chenille stems together so that they are sturdy enough to stand with a felt flower attached to the top. Next, decide how you will make the no-sew felt flowers for this craft project. Choose from the options below.
Related: Best Flower Art Projects
4 Easy Ways to Make Flowers Out of Felt – No Sew
Choose one of the four methods to make felt flowers listed below. Collect the flower craft supplies you need and begin the felt flowers DIY tutorial at the step listed for the method or technique you choose.
- Download and print the flower pattern or patterns that you would like to use HERE—> Printable Flower Outline Templates. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 1.) Or, create your own felt flower templates. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 2.)
- Use a flower cookie cutter. You will need everything listed in the materials section below except for the cardstock. (Begin felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 3.)
- Order pre-cut felt flowers HERE. (Begin the felt flowers DIY tutorial at step 5 if using the pre-cut felt flowers) You will only need twigs (or pipe cleaners), pruning shears, pompoms and a glue gun with glue sticks to complete this felt craft.
**NOTE: The flower cookie cutter is about 4 inches in diameter, and the pre-cut flowers range from 1 inch to 2 inches in diameter. The printable felt flower pattern templates we provide are approximately 3 inches in diameter.
Easy Felt Flowers Craft Supplies
- flower outline printable template, OR a flower cookie cutter, OR purchase pre-cut felt flowers for crafts–> HERE.
- Disappearing ink pen
- Sewing scissors or precision scissors (sharp scissors make cutting felt easy)
- Thin bare branches or twigs, OR, pipe cleaners, OR, wooden dowels painted green
- Pruning shears (if making twig stems)
- Glue gun with glue sticks or glue dots
- Vase (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
Related: Pinecone Rose Mother’s Day Card
Related: Rose Watercolor Art Project
Felt Flowers DIY Video Tutorial
Related: Mother-Daughter Necklace Set DIY
Felt Flowers DIY Step by Step Tutorial
There are four different techniques that you can use to make felt flowers and felt flower bouquets using this tutorial. Choose one of the four options listed above and begin at the felt flowers DIY tutorial step directed below.
As another alternative, Mommy Moment has another method to make a felt flower arrangement on a twig stem that you can read HERE.
Step 1 – Download and Print Free Printable Flower Pattern Template (Optional)
- Download our free printable flower template and print it out onto cardstock. Regular printer paper can also be used, but cardstock is better for making strong flower templates that are super easy to trace multiple times.
Step 2 – Cut Flower Templates out of Free Flower Pattern Printable
- If you are not ordering the pre-cut flowers or using a cookie cutter to trace, cut the flower templates out of the flower outline pattern printable.
- Use one flower pattern to make a bunch of the same flowers, or one of each flower–up to you!
- Please note: Some of the flower outlines and templates are easier than others for children to cut out–shoose wisely.
- Alternatively, you can draw your own flower templates onto heavyweight cardstock and cut them out to make your own flower templates to make a felt flower bouquet.
Step 3 – Trace Flower Template or Flower Cookie Cutter with Disappearing Ink on Felt
- Trace the free flower patterns that you have cut into cardstock templates or a flower cookie cutter with disappearing ink. Yes, disappearing ink really disappears even on white felt! The ink can either be washed away with water, or it will disappear in about 24 hours.
- **WARNING: Do not trace your flowers and leave them to cut out the next day or you may not have anything left to trace–lol!!
Step 4 – Cut Flowers out of Felt
- Cut the flowers out of the felt. Felt is tricky to cut, make it easy on yourself with a pair of sewing scissors or small sharp precision scissors.
Step 5 – Make Pipe Cleaner, Wooden Dowel, or Twig Stems for Felt Flowers
How to Use Pruning Sheers to Trim Twigs for Felt Flowers
- Use pruning shears to trim thin bare branches and twigs down to the desired height.
- Measure the height by standing the twigs next to a vase before you cut them.
- Trim both ends for a clean look.
How to Use Pipe Cleaners to Make flower stems
- Twist two pipe cleaners together to make a stem sturdy enough to attach a felt flower.
- Measure height next to flower vase and trim if needed.
How to Use a Wooden Dowel to Make a Flower Stem
- Paint thin wooden dowel green and allow to dry. (optional)
- Measure height next to flower vase and trim if needed.
Step 6 – Glue pompom and Felt Flower on a Twig Stem, Pipe Cleaner or Wooden Dowel
- Fold the flower in half to cut a very small hole in the middle of it.
- Thread the tip of a twig, pipe cleaner, or wooden dowel through the small hole in the flower.
- Use a glue gun to glue a pompom onto the tip of the twig and the felt flower to secure it in place.
Step 7 – Place flowers in a vase or tie a ribbon around a Felt Flower Bouquet
- Place your gorgeous felt flowers in a vase or tie a ribbon around them to create a handheld bouquet of flowers.
- Single flowers in a vase or with felt leaves glued to them are also lovely.
- Optional: Use your felt scraps and extra pompoms as a colorful vase filler!
Related: Lovebirds Felt Softie
Felt Flower Craft Gift idea
Single flowers and handheld bouquets made out of felt are fun and easy gift ideas that kids, teens, and adults can make. Give mom (or grandma) a single flower or a whole bouquet for Mother’s day, make one for her on Valentine’s Day, or say I love you any day of the year!
Another fantastic gift idea for mom is this handprint art jewelry dish or anything from this beautiful collection of homemade gift ideas kids can make.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
Leave a Comment