Anytime is a great time to go on a nature hunt! There are so many amazing finds outside just waiting to be discovered. You may not need to go further than your own backyard, but I encourage you to get out into nature for this activity.
Get Outside & Connect Activity Week #38 – Go on a Nature Hunt
This week’s activity is to go on a nature hunt. A nature hunt provides a rich sensory experience for the developing child.
This is not to be confused with a scavenger hunt, although you can make a game out of it if you wish. This nature hunt is to get outside to collect things for activities, crafts and other purposes. If you’re looking for a scavenger hunt see Nature Scavenger Hunt.
Since you may be out there for a while don’t forget a lunch and your nature study supplies. There are many wonderful things to be discovered at this time of year, and several ways to use what you find. There are several suggestions below.
This post contains links to DIY crafts and affiliate links for your convenience.
Nature Items to Collect:
- Sticks and small branches
- Leaves of all kinds
- Helicopter seeds
- Wildflowers (Please note: this is illegal in some areas. Read signs or ask your local park rangers to know for sure. Many areas allow you to take one simple bouquet home for personal use. Please be responsible.)
- Edible berries and/or fruit if in available and in season (Please make sure you don’t eat anything unless you are absolutely sure it is safe for consumption.)
- Anything else you discover that is safe and appropriate to take home. Please be responsible and only take what you intend to use.
Our favorite Nature Collection Baskets:
Ways to Use the Items you find:
- Create a Fall Nature Table
- Fall Leaf Lacing
- DIY Acorn Peg Dolls
- Stone & Shell Owl Craft
- Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts
- Natural Materials for Pretend Play
- Gluten Free Peach Raspberry Crisp Recipe (You can substitute any kind of berries or apples.)
Get outside, connect, and go on a nature hunt. There are so many amazing things waiting to be discovered. Use what you find to make crafts, gifts, fall decor, and nature tables.
The Get Outside & Connect Series:
To learn more about Get Outside & Connect and see other outside activities click on the link.
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss the next post!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to create a life you LOVE!