Here’s a list of DIY Christmas ornaments that make decorating the tree fun and look good, too!
Making homemade Christmas ornaments is a great way to connect with children and bring the whole family together to create meaning and have fun during the holidays. Isn’t that what Christmas is all about? I find nothing more rewarding than decorating the tree with gorgeous handmade Christmas ornaments made with children at home or in the classroom.
Unfortunately, many Christmas ornament crafts made by or with children, often find their way into the trash bin instead of onto the Christmas tree–but this list is different. It displays a gorgeous collection of handmade ornaments that kids can make that you will WANT to put on the Christmas tree! In addition, most of the DIY Christmas ornaments on this list can be stored to reuse again and again, unlike other flimsy handmade Christmas ornaments and crafts that fall apart or deteriorate.
DIY Christmas Ornaments
Below you will find a collection of handmade Christmas ornaments my daughter and I have made together over the years for our Christmas tree. Creating a new Christmas ornament every year is a Christmas Tradition that my family has always loved. However, most of the Christmas crafts listed here require parental or teacher guidance and supervision. Have a look at the list of homemade Christmas ornaments below for ideas and inspiration!
With Christmas on the way will, of course, be making a few more homemade Christmas ornaments to add to this collection and decorate our tree over the next few months–we make at least one new ornament each year. So, be sure you bookmark this page so you don’t miss our latest creations. Happy Christmas crafting!
12 Homemade Christmas Ornaments to Make with Children
Here’s a gorgeous collection of ten handmade Christmas ornaments and crafts that you can use to decorate your Christmas tree and keep year after year.
- Acorn Marble Ornaments – Use marbles and acorn caps to make gorgeous rustic ornaments for the Christmas tree.
- Angel Ornaments – Here’s a Christmas angel that children can help make that you will want to put on the tree year after year!
- Baby Jesus Christmas Ornament – This rustic handmade walnut shell manger Christmas ornament can be made by kids, teens, and adults. Crafting a baby Jesus ornament to hang on the Christmas tree is a lovely way to connect with children during the holidays.
- Beaded Snowflake Ornaments – Learn how to make beaded snowflake ornaments with this easy snowflake craft tutorial. Both kids and adults will enjoy this gorgous winter craft.
- Christmas Elf Ornaments – Use wooden peg dolls and felt to make these cute litte Christmas elves and inspired by the book, “The Christmas Wish.”
- Orange Slice Ornaments – Learn how to dry ornanges and make them into dried orange sun wheel ornaments with this easy traditional Christmas craft tutorial. Orange slice ornaments can last up to 2 years when put away properly and stored in a cool dry location.
- Rhinestone Pinecone Ornaments – Add a little rustic bling to your Christmas tree with DIY rhinestone pinecone ornaments! An easy book-inspired Christmas nature craft kids can make.
- Snowman Ornament – My daughter squealed with excitement when I asked her if she wanted to build a snowman, and I’ll bet yours will too! Make snowman ornaments for the Christmas tree with this step by step tutorial.
- Olaf Ornaments Kids Can Make – Toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners love to build olaf Christmas ornaments.
- Easy Snowman Head Christmas Ornament – Make these simple snowman head ormanets to decorate your Christmas tree!
- Christmas Tree Twig Ornaments – Here’s a Christmas ornaments that is as simple as it is beautiful–make a few to adorn your tree.
- Wood Slice Alphabet Ornaments – Here’s a fun idea for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners that makes learning the alphabet fun. These rustic alphabet ornaments are perfect for homeschoolers, and look great haging on a Christmas tree in the kindergarten.
More Christmas Ideas for Kids and Family’s
Help the kids make beautiful gifts, keep them busy, and create meaning, beginning with this list of Christmas Traditions!
Or, scroll through the Christmas crafts listed here for inspiration:
- Fingerprint Lights Christmas Cards – Put little fingers to work with this easy Christmas craft, or try reverse fingerprint Christmas tree cards.
- Watercolor Christmas Tree Cards – Use old watercolor painting and children’s artwork to make these simple Christmas cards.
- Simple Stone Christmas Advent Calendar – Make an homemade advent calendar out of stones with this easy nature inspired Christmas idea. Or, try a spiral advent.
- Holy Family Nativity Scene – Make this easy DIY wooden peg doll holy family nativity scene as home decor this season.
- Rhinestone Pinecone Crafts – Add a little rustic bling to your Christmas decor with rhinestone pinecones. An easy winter nature craft kids and adults can make!
- Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make – Handmade gifts from children are always a hit with parents and grandparents. Give any of these gorgeous homemade gift ideas a try!
- Handprint, Footprint, and Fingerprint Christmas Crafts – Make beautiful Christmas keepsakes, cards, and gifts with this fun collection of art make with little hands and feet.
- Christmas Art Projects for Kids – Get out the art supplies and give any one of these Christmas painting ideas a try!
Homemade Christmas Ornaments
Making Christmas ornaments and spending time with the kids honoring other Christmas traditions will help you and your family create memories that last a lifetime! Try any of these ideas or find inspiration to make your own homemade Christmas ornaments with your children.
You might also enjoy this Winter Bucket List filled with Seasonal Activities and Crafts for children and adults of all ages. It’s not just a list but a virtual treasure trove of ideas to keep the kids busy learning through play all winter long.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!