Learn how to make recycled shamrock and four-leaf clover crafts with these easy toilet paper roll crafts.
Toilet paper roll shamrocks and four-leaf clover crafts are fun to make for Saint Patrick’s Day. Use these simple instructions to make these fun Saint Patrick’s Day crafts at home or in the classroom.
Learn how to make toilet paper roll shamrocks and four-leaf clover crafts with these easy step by step instructions complete with a video tutorial.
Find out the differences between a shamrock and a clover in this round-up of Saint Patrick’s Day Crafts!
Toilet Paper Roll Shamrocks and Clover Craft Supplies
- Recycled toilet paper rolls
- Flat wash paintbrush
- Green Acrylic paint (tempera paint does not cover the toilet paper roll well enough–the cardboard shows through too much)
- Glue gun with glue sticks or glue dots
Related: Rainbow Shamrock Salt Painting Idea
Toilet Paper Roll Shamrocks and Four-Leaf Clover Crafts Step by Step Instructions
These fun recycled toilet paper roll crafts are fun to make at home or in the classroom for Saint Patrick’s Day.
Learn how to make toilet paper roll shamrocks, and, four-leaf clover crafts in the step by step tutorial below. Read through the instructions before attempting to make recycled cardboard tube shamrock four-lear clover crafts.
The video in the next section shows each step of this easy Saint Patrick’s Day craft idea in action.
Related: Four Leaf Clover Handprint Craft
Step 1 – Grab some toilet paper rolls out of your recycle bin or recycled craft stash
Step 2 – Paint outside of recycled cardboard tube green
Green tempera paint does not work as well because it takes several coats of paint to cover the recycled cardboard toilet paper roll so that it does not show through.
Allow the paint to dry before moving on to the next step in this recycled shamrock craft.
Step 3 – Cut toilet paper roll into strips of recycled cardboard circles
Use a pair of scissors to cut the toilet paper tube into strips.
Related: Best Spring Activities for Kids
Step 4 – Shape each recycled toilet paper roll circle strip into the shape of a heart
When you cut the painted toilet paper roll into strips the cardboard tube will bend in two places.
Shape each recycled cardboard tube circle into the shape of a heart by pressing into the circle of one of the slightly bent sides of the cardboard tube and squeezing the other bent side towards each other with two fingers.
You can see how to make recycled toilet paper roll hearts in the step by step toilet paper roll shamrock and lucky clover necklace video tutorial posted below.
Luckily, acrylic paint helps the cardboard retain its heart shape a lot better than an unpainted toilet paper roll. Go ahead and test it for yourself!
Step 5 – Glue recycled cardboard tube hearts together to make toilet paper roll shamrocks or lucky four-leaf clovers
Use a glue gun and glue sticks, a glue pen, or glue dots to attach the cardboard tube hearts together. Glue guns are hot and dangerous tools, glue pens and glue dots are a great alternative to hot glue for young children.
Toilet paper roll shamrocks need 3 hearts to create the 3 lobed leaves of a shamrock, while each recycled cardboard lucky clover will need 4 hearts.
Make stems for your toilet paper roll shamrock by cutting a cardboard tube circle into 2 equal parts to make 2 stems.
The video in the next section shows how to glue the recycled cardboard hearts together to create shamrocks and lucky clovers, or, follow the how-to steps listed below.
How to Make Toilet Paper Roll Shamrocks:
- Each toilet paper roll shamrock requires a total of 3 heart-shaped toilet paper roll pieces.
- Use a glue gun and glue sticks, a glue pen, or glue dots to attach 3 of the heart-shaped cardboard tubes together.
- Glue a stem to the inside of one of the bottom two heart-shaped lobes of each shamrock craft as shown in the shamrock craft photo posted above.
How to Make Toilet Paper Roll Four-Leaf Clovers
- Each toilet paper roll four-leaf clover requires a total of 4 heart-shaped toilet paper roll pieces.
- Use a glue gun and glue sticks, a glue pen, or glue dots to attach 4 heart-shaped cardboard tubes pieces together.
- Glue a stem to the inside of one of the bottom two heart-shaped lobes of each four-leaf clover craft as shown in the photo posted below.
Related: Shamrock Handprint Craft with Poem
Toilet Paper Roll Shamrock and Clover Crafts Video Tutorial
Recycled Cardboard Tube Shamrock and Clover Crafts
Next, learn how to turn your recycled shamrock and clover crafts into Shamrock and Lucky Clover Necklace Crafts! You won’t get pinched without your green with these quick and easy Saint Patrick’s Day necklaces!
More Toilet Paper Roll Crafts and Green Living Ideas for Kids
- Toilet Paper Roll Birdhouses
- Caring for the Earth: 12 Ways to Help Kids Live a More Sustainable Life
- Encouraging Kindness to Nature