Making a Saint Patrick’s Day salt paint shamrock is an easy art project for kids and adults!
Toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and school-aged kids will enjoy the simple salt painting technique used to create this raised watercolor shamrock decoration for Saint Patrick’s Day.
Invite children to draw their own shamrock art or use the FREE printable template. Toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners will need assistance in creating shamrock art, while elementary-aged children and teens can complete this raised salt paint shamrock art project from start to finish on their own.
Related: Rainbow Watercolor Salt Paint Shamrock
Related: Rainbow Rainy Day Art
Saint Patrick’s Day Salt Paint Shamrock Art Project Supply List
- Cardstock (regular paper is too thin to handle the weight of this project)
- White glue
- Liquid watercolors or solid watercolor pallet
- Paintbrush or pipette
- Shamrock Template Printable
There are several supply options you can use to complete this shamrock art project:
- liquid watercolors and pipettes
- liquid watercolor paints and paintbrushes
- solid watercolor pallet with a cup of water and a paintbrush
No matter which supplies you choose, each raised salt painting art technique is great for developing the fine motor muscles in the hand. This shamrock art project is also great for improving hand-eye coordination. See the directions below for more information.
Related: Shamrock and Four Leaf Clover Art and Craft Projects
How to Set Up to Paint Saint Patrick’s Day Shamrock Art Project
As mentioned above, there are a few different ways to do this Saint Patrick’s Day shamrock art project. Please read through these directions before starting your shamrock clover craft. For more tips and pictures about raised salt painting be sure you check out our rainbow shamrock, harvest pumpkin, and pumpkin salt painting.
Allow your child to set up the raised salt shamrock art project on their own if they are able to. Younger children will need some help.
- Invite the kids to draw a shamrock, draw a shamrock for them or print our printable shamrock template on cardstock or draw your own shamrock.
- Trace the outline of the shamrock with white glue. Fill the shamrock clover with glue art or leave blank.
- Cover glue with salt
- Shake off the excess salt
Working on a cookie tray is an easy way to keep the salt from going all over the place. Save the salt that you shake off to make another raised salt painting.
Related: The Best Art Supplies for Kids and Why Young Artists Should Use Them
Shamrock Art Project Directions
- Demonstrate how to use a pipette or paintbrush to apply watercolor paint to the salt. If you are using liquid watercolors use a pipette or a paintbrush. If you are using a watercolor pallet apply the paint by dipping the paintbrush into water and then any color in the watercolor pallet. Once the paintbrush has paint on it, have your children gently touch the brush to the raised salt shamrock to paint it.
- Invite children to apply watercolor paint color of choice to the raised salt shamrock. Or try a rainbow salt paint shamrock instead!
Related: Black Glue Rose Watercolor Art Project
Making a Saint Patrick’s Day salt paint shamrock is an easy art project for kids and adults! Toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and school-aged kids will enjoy the simple painting technique used to create this raised watercolor decoration.
You may also like these Saint Patrick’s Day art and craft projects, and our Spring Bucket List filled with fun activities for kids and adults!
For more seasonal arts crafts and activities click HERE! Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE.
Leave a Comment