Uh oh… our snowman’s lost his head! Make snowman head ornaments with your children to decorate your Christmas tree this year. Snowman head Christmas ornaments are a snowman craft that kids and adults can make.
When I asked my daughter if she wanted to build a snowman, she was thrilled! While I dreamed of making cute little snowmen, snowwomen, and snowman head ornaments to hang on the Christmas tree, she dreamed of bringing Olaf to life.
Related: Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
DIY Snowman Head Ornament Materials
- Polyform clay assorted Colors & White
- Galvanized wire
- Wire cutters
- Ornament hooks or bakers twine
- Oven bake clay bond and glaze pack (optional)
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
How to Make Snowman Head Ornaments
Wash your hands and clean the surface you will be working on. Polymer clay picks up every speck of dirt it can find. When working with white, this is especially important. We worked on a glass mat to protect our table from getting stained and to keep the clay clean.
You will even need to wash your hands after working with color if you will be working with white again. I kept a wet washcloth nearby to keep our hands clean as my daughter, and I worked.
Related: Christmas Art Projects
Related: Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
Polymer Clay Snowman Head Ornaments Step by Step Directions
Step 1 – Form pieces of clay snowman head ornaments
- Make a ball of white polymer clay about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter for the head.
- Roll small black polymer clay balls to make a coal nose, coal eyes, and a coal mouth.
- Make a carrot nose.
- Design a winter cap, top hat, etc. Get creative!
How to make a carrot nose for snowman head ornaments:
The easiest way to make a carrot nose is to roll a little bit of orange polymer clay into a small ball. Next, roll one side of it like a snake until you have a small carrot.
How to make a top hat for a snowman head ornaments:
- Form two balls of black polymer clay (or color of choice).
- Flatten one of the balls of black clay to create the bottom of the top hat.
- Use your forefinger and thumb of each hand to create a cylinder shape from the second ball of black clay. (We found spinning it around while we worked to be effective.)
- Attach the cylinder shape to the top of the flattened circle to make a top hat. (See photos below)
How to make a winter hat for a snowman head ornaments:
- Form a ball of polymer clay about the same size as the snowman head in another color.
- Create the cap from the larger ball of clay by placing your thumb on one side to create the inner edge, then gently pull and form the rest of the clay into a winter cap shape with your thumb and forefinger of the other hand. (Once again, we found spinning it around while we worked to be effective.)
- Attach a small ball of white polymer clay to the tip of the cap to make the pom-pom. (See photos below)
Step 2 – Assemble snowman head ornaments
Assemble snowman head ornament by sticking the clay pieces that you made together. Start by placing the cap or hat on the top of the snowman’s head. Next, attach the nose, eyes, and dotted coal mouth.
Step 3 – Make the hangers for snowman head ornaments
Use wire cutters to cut two 1 and 1/2 inch sections of galvanized wire. Bend it in half. Place this hook prongs down into the top of your ornament after assembly to hang it.
Step 4 – Bake snowman head ornaments
Bake according to polymer clay directions. We baked ours in a 275 F oven for 25-30 mins sitting on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Snowman Head Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
Handmade ornaments like these snowman head crafts are perfect for your Christmas tree. Making homemade DIY polymer clay Snowman head ornaments is a fun holiday craft for both kids and adults. Don’t forget to check out our snowman ornaments and Frozen Inspired Olaf Ornaments!
You may also like our Winter Bucket List and Meaningful Christmas Traditions for a Magical Holiday. And, Don’t forget to have a look at our gift guide with DIY and ready-made ideas for the whole family!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!