Use this round-up of pumpkin patch field trip activities to plan school trips and fun family adventures.
This round-up of pumpkin patch field trip activities for kids includes; information to help you find a “pumpkin patch near me,” how to choose a pumpkin, pumpkin decorating and pumpkin carving ideas, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin activities, pumpkin books for kids, and more!
Pumpkin Patch Guide
Go on a field trip to a pumpkin patch to celebrate the blessings of a good harvest this autumn. Children love going to the pumpkin patch to pick out pumpkins and enjoy the fun.
Related: Corn Maze Family Field Trip Ideas
Types of Pumpkin Patches
There are several types of pumpkin patches. Some have other fun attractions like a hayride, train ride, corn maze, petting zoo, bounce house, and more. Other pumpkin patches are simply for finding pumpkins.
You will find three main types of pumpkin patches; Pick your own, already harvested, and church lawns. No matter which you choose there are often other attractions to keep the little ones happily entertained.
How to Find a Pumpkin Patch Near You
To find a pumpkin patch near you check your local newspaper or family resource guide. Another easy way to find a local pumpkin patch is to type “pumpkin patch near me” into the google search bar.
Once you find a pumpkin patch that you would like to visit, it’s a good idea to call and find out if carts are provided or if you can bring your own wagon.
Another good question to ask is the type of pumpkins that they have available. You will find my tips for choosing the type of pumpkin you need below. You may also want to ask if there will be food available, or places to eat if you would like to bring your own family picnic.
Related: Rustic Oak Apple Nature Craft
How to Choose A Pumpkin
There are three main types of pumpkins; carving, gourds, and baking or pie pumpkins. The type of pumpkin you need will depend on what you will be doing with it.
You will want to make sure the pumpkin patch that you visit has the type of pumpkins that you are looking for. Will you be carving, decorating, baking, or using pumpkins for the educational activities listed in the next section?
If you will be making pumpkin puree, you will want to choose a small 8 to 10-inch sugar pumpkin. Sugar pumpkins are sweeter than other pumpkins and have been developed for eating. Look for one that is firm with no soft spots or signs of any rot. A few more pumpkin recipe ideas are listed below.
If you will be carving your pumpkins or decorating them in some way look for a pumpkin that is visually appealing without any soft spots or signs of rot. Choose a pumpkin with a stem and make sure it sits the way you want it to when placed on a flat surface.
You will also want to choose a color and shape that will work for the design you have in mind. Pumpkin carving ideas and no-carve decorating ideas can be found below.
Make sure to grab an extra pumpkin or two to try some of the fun pumpkin activities for kids listed in the next section!
Related: Outdoor Activities for Kids
Pumpkin Patch Field Trip Activities
Once you pick out your pumpkins and get them back home or to the classroom, try any of these fun pumpkin activities for kids.
How to Carve or Decorate Pumpkins
I like to think of painting and carving pumpkins like rock painting or looking at clouds in the sky. What do you see in the pumpkin that you are looking at?
Or, try any one of the fun pumpkin carving and no-carve pumpkin decorating ideas listed below!
Pumpkin Carving Ideas and No-Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- Best Ever Pumpkin Carving Tip | Happy Hooligans
- Over 700 Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils | Spaceships and Laserbeams
- Melted Crayon Pumpkin Craft | Color Made Happy
- Googly Eyed Pupkin | She Wears Many Hats
- Faux No Carve Jack O’ Lantern | Non-Toy Gifts
- Spider Web Pumpkin | Woman’s Day
- Photo Pumpkin | Sugar and Charm
- Chalkboard Pumpkins | Sunny Day Family
- Squeeze Paint Pumpkin Art | Hello, Wonderful!
- Little House in a Pumpkin | Adventure in a Box
Related: Fall Nature Crafts
If you are able to find some sugar pumpkins, try any of these fun pumpkin recipes listed below!
- How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree – make your own pumpkin puree from scratch!
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Recipe
- Stay tuned for our gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe!
Fun and Educational Pumpkin Activities for Kids
Bring home an extra pumpkin or two for some of these fun activities. They are a great way to extend learning and continue the fun!
- Parts of a Pumpkin Montessori Cards | The Crafty Classroom
- Best Kindergarten and Preschool Pumpkin Activities | Little Bins for Little Hands
- 40 Pumpkin Activities for Kids | Hands on as We Grow
- Pumpkin Science Experiments | Little Bins for Little Hands
Pumpkin Arts and Crafts for Kids
- Jack o’ Lantern Salt Painting
- Glow in the Dark Halloween Pumpkin Sensory Bottle
- Harvest Pumpkin Watercolor Art Project (photo below)
Related: The Best Fall Art Projects for Kids
Pumpkin Books for Kids
Reading books about pumpkins and pumpkin patches is a fun way to extend learning and make it even more fun for the kids. Put these on the library list or purchase using the affiliate links I have provided for your convenience. Click on the book images below to learn more about each book.
- Pumpkin Patch Blessings
- Biscuit Visits the Pumpkin Patch
- Duck & Goose Find a Pumpkin
- Peter Rabbit and the Pumpkin Patch
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
- Apples and Pumpkins
Go on a Field Trip to a Pumpkin Patch
Use this pumpkin patch field trip activity guide to help you get ready for your trip to the pumpkin patch.
Going to a pumpkin patch is a classic fall activity for school trips and fun family adventures. Pumpkin patches are fun because they often have hayrides, a corn maze, and/or a petting zoo in addition to pumpkins.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Field Trip Ideas and Activities
More Halloween Crafts and Activities
- Glowing Halloween Luminaries
- Halloween Art Projects Kids Love
- Giant Stick Spider Web Halloween Decoration
- Spider Magnet Crafts and Halloween Decorations
- Halloween Porch Decor
- Spider Egg Sac Halloween Decoration
- 13 Healthy Treats and Fun Alternatives for Halloween