Halloween luminaries are awesome DIY Halloween Decorations. Make some Halloween lanterns to impress your friends and neighbors this year! Mason jars, tin cans, milk jugs, and other types of recycled Halloween lanterns emit a gorgeous subtle glow when used as centerpieces, on mantles, in windows, hung up, or on doorsteps on Halloween night.
Real pumpkins are classic Halloween luminaries. This list includes everything but real Jack o’ lanterns. Whether you like friendly or spooktacular DIY Halloween Decorations… you will find it below!
Related: Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
Halloween Decor DIY: How to Make Halloween Lanterns
**Click on the name of the creator of each Halloween lantern to see the full tutorial for each project.**
If you are not feeling crafty but love the look of these Halloween luminaries, we have also provided some ready-made Halloween luminary options!
Top 10 DIY Halloween Lanterns
1. Enchanting Halloween Lanterns | Adventure in a Box
I am in love with these enchanting Halloween lanterns… aren’t they gorgeous!? Click on the link above to learn how to make these amazing luminaries.
2. Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries | Crafts by Amanda
I love all of the different colors and fun hand-drawn faces on these painted jar lanterns. There are so many ways to decorate a lantern using this simple technique.
Or you can purchase similar ready-made Halloween lanterns HERE.
Other amazing versions:
- DIY Jack O Lantern Tea Lights | Moms and Crafters instead of paint this craft uses permanent markers.
3. Tissue Paper Mason Jar Jack-o-Lanterns | My Crafty Spot
This version of tissue paper Jack O’Lanterns won my heart because of the different colors of tissue paper used along with the fun designs and different sized jars. A few more of my favorite versions can be found below.
Other spooktacular tissue paper luminaries:
4. Halloween Mummy Jars | All You
5 More Glowing DIY Halloween Lanterns
5. Jam or Mason Jar Spider Web Lanterns | Mum in the Madhouse
Can you guess what material was used to create the spooktacular effect of these awesome spider web lanterns? Click on the link above to find out!
You may also like the inflatable solar light Halloween lanterns that you can purchase HERE.
6. DIY Paper Lanterns for Halloween Decorations | Lia Griffith
These DIY paper luminaries are breathtaking, aren’t they!?
Other Amazing Paper Luminaries:
7. Halloween Tin Can Luminaries | Jolly Mom
I love the simple look of this collection of recycled coffee can Halloween luminaries. You can also punch words or classic Halloween designs into them and paint them any color you choose.
8. Pottery Barn Knock-Off Pumpkin Lanterns | Making Lemonade
Another different but equally awesome hanging DIY Halloween lantern idea:
These floating witch hat luminaries by Polkadot Chair are a super creative alternative to jack o’ lantern hanging paper lanterns! Aren’t they awesome?!
9. Paper Bag Luminaries | Unoriginal Mom
There are many other ways you can choose to make these. You can also punch holes to write words or make designs, use clip art stencils, black paint, the opportunities are endless!
More paper bag lanterns:
- Scary Message Lanterns | Martha Stewart
10. Milk Jug Lanterns “Spirit Jugs” | Eighteen 25
These are lit by a strand of Christmas lights, but I have also seen them with glow sticks placed inside that give these glowing ghost lanterns a bit of glowing color. Flameless candles also work well in milk jug lanterns.
More Milk Jug Halloween Lanterns:
- Quick, Inexpensive DIY Halloween Ghost Luminaries | Third Stop on the Right
More DIY Halloween Luminaries
The Best DIY Halloween Lanterns
This awesome collection of DIY Halloween lanterns are easy to make. Halloween luminaries are a fun way to decorate your doorstep and windowsills for parties and Halloween night. Most of them are upcycled crafts for both kids and adults.
Try your hand at one of these fun DIY Halloween decor ideas or find inspiration to create your own!
Most of these Halloween Lanterns can be made with materials from your recycle bin. Upcycle you milk jugs, coffee cans, paper bags, mason jars, and other bottles and jars to make these fun Halloween Luminaries.
Don’t forget to pop over to have a look at our fall bucket list for the best autumn EVER!
More DIY Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Tissue Paper Ghost Craft
- DIY Spider Egg Halloween Decoration
- Giant Stick Spiderweb Halloween Decoration
If You Liked Halloween Lanterns, You May Also Like
- 13 Healthy Treats and Fun Alternatives for Halloween
- Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts (Contains pumpkin and jack o’ lantern ideas)
- Glow in the Dark Ringer Game Sensory Bottle
- Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!