Going to an orchard to pick apples is a fun fall activity for kids and families.
Here’s an apple orchard field trip guide for kids that contains everything you need to know about harvesting apples with your classroom or family this autumn. Scroll down to learn more. Our apple harvesting guide includes information on how to find apple orchards and “pick your own” farms in your area, several apple crafts and activities, apple book recommendations, and several fantastic apple recipes that make it FUN to enjoy the fruits of your labors! You might also enjoy our Fall Bucket List with even more autumn activities for kids.
Go on a field trip to an apple orchard this autumn for a class field trip or a fun homeschool family adventure! Going to an orchard to pick apples is a fun fall activity for kids, families, and classrooms. Even though we have a few apple trees on our property, our family likes to visit an apple orchard each fall as a part of our daughter’s homeschool education. For more fall field trip ideas, check out Pumpkin Patch Field Trip Ideas and Corn Maze Field Trip Ideas!
The Best Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas for Kids and Families
Visit a pick-your-own apple orchard this fall! Use these handy tips and plan to take your entire family or classroom apple picking this harvest. Apples are typically ripe for picking from Mid-June to Mid-November, depending on the variety of apples. The most common types are just beginning to ripen at this time of year.
The post is a part of the Get Outside and Connect Series. Click on the link to learn more about it.
How to Find an Apple Orchard Near You
Organic apple orchards are recommended but harder to find. Check your local newspaper or a family resource guide, or do a Google search for a “Pick Your Own” apple farm near you!
Call the apple orchard Before your visit to ask Questions:
- When are the best times to visit with the smallest crowds?
- Ask if the branches are low enough for small children to pick. Odds are you won’t want to be holding your child up all day or hauling a ladder around with you.
- Do they have wagons available, or if they allow you to bring your own?
- Is there food available for purchase, or do they have a place to sit and eat if you bring a picnic?
Related: Signs of Autumn Fall Scavenger Hunt for Kids
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: Bring Your Own Apple Picking Basket
The apple orchard will likely have bags for picking, but we recommend bringing baskets or reusable bags. My favorite free trade baskets for farmers’ markets and pick-your-own farms are at the Amazon affiliate link below.
Apple Activities for kids
Before and after you go to the apple orchard, you can extend children learning at home or in the classroom by trying some fun autumn apple activities for kids!
- Teach your children about the parts of an apple; core, seeds, flesh, skin, stem, and leaf.
- Lay an apple on its side and cut it into thin sections. Show children from toddlers to teens the star in the center of the apple around the core, and watch their eyes light up with surprise and wonder.
- Peel apples for fresh apple recipes (we have several on the list below) with an easy countertop apple peeler and corer. Peeling and coring apples is an excellent practical life activity for food preparation in Montessori and Waldorf Education that kids LOVE!
- Print out this Apple Life Cycle Printable by The Stay at Home Educator.
- Learn how an apple grows with this preschool apple science activity from Little Bins for Little Hands.
- Or, try this easy apple science experiment by Pre-K Pages.
Apple Crafts for Kids
Try your hand at a few apple crafts at home or in the classroom this fall. Look through the list of apple craft ideas below.
- Make an Apple Hedgehog using a real apple. Using toothpicks to make a hedgehog is an easy fine motor apple activity for kids.
- Craft a clove apple pomander with the step-by-step instructions on Crafting a Green World.
- Make an Oak Apple Nature Craft.
- Try your hand at a few fun apple crafts for kids. Craft an apple button tree (with glue) or sew an apple button tree. Click on the links to learn more!
- Weave an apple onto a paper plate using this fun apple craft idea from Easy Crafts for Kids.
- Try apple stamping art. Cut apples in half and dip them in tempura paint to make apple prints! Have a look at THIS printmaking project for tips!
- You can find a few more fall apple crafts HERE.
Awesome Apple Recipes
Are you wondering what you will do with all those apples you collect at the farm? Look through the fabulous apple recipes on the list below to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I highly recommend making some applesauce or apple butter as a part of your apple activities. A countertop apple peeler makes it easy!
- Apple Pie Oatmeal Breakfast Recipe | Rhythms of Play
- The Magic of Caramel Apples | Sally’s Baking Addition
- Apple Crisp (Substitute sliced apples, with 1/3 cup of orange juice poured over them, and add a teaspoon of cinnamon to our gluten-free fruit crisp recipe.)
- Easy Recipe for Applesauce | Teaching 2 and 3-Year-Olds
- Cinnamon Apple Zucchini Muffins | Arts and Crackers
- Apple Squash Bread | Sunny Day Family
- Baked Apples with Walnuts | Totally the Bomb
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter (No sugar added!) | Bakerita
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips | Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Apple Fritter Monkey Bread | Bren Did
Related: Low Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
Related: Human Sundial Shadow Science Experiment
Apple Book Recommendations
To extend children’s learning even further, you can read some beautiful books about apples with your children before and after you go to the apple orchard. For more of our fall favorites, check out Autumn Stories Children LOVE!
Best Books About Apples for Kids
- Apples for Everyone
- How Do Apples Grow?
- Apple Picking Time
- Johnny Appleseed
- The Apple Pie Tree
- Fall Apples
- The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree
- Apples and Pumpkins
Related: Books That Teach Children Important Life Lessons
The Best Apple Learning Toys and Games for Children
Try some of these apple toys and games for kids for even more fun!
Related: The Best Toys for Open-Ended Play
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas for Kids
An outing to an apple orchard can begin a wonderful autumn harvest celebration for both schools and families. Visiting an apple farm is a fun activity for a class field trip or a family adventure, whether you homeschool or not. You may also like our Fall Bucket List with several more fun autumn activities for kids.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
Leave a Comment