Learn how to puree pumpkin and how to make pumpkin puree with the step-by-step instructions below!
If your wondering how to make pumpkin puree the easy way, you’ve come to the right place. You just can’t beat cooking with homemade pumpkin puree. Cooking with pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins adds flavor that you can’t get out of a can. And these instructions will show you the easiest and the best way to puree pumpkin.
How to Make Pumpkin Puree from Scratch
Making pumpkin puree is a lot easier than you might think. It’s even easier if you grow sugar pumpkins as we do. 🙂
Children LOVE to learn how to cook things they help grow or find at the pumpkin patch.
When you are finished learning how to puree pumpkin and make pumpkin puree, you can use your fresh homemade pumpkin puree to make your favorite pumpkin pie recipe or my infamous low-fat pumpkin cranberry bread. Its moist, tangy goodness is always a hit with my family during the holidays!
Using homemade pumpkin puree in your baked goods is easy to make holiday foods come to life. You just can’t beat the fresh homemade taste!
Related: Turkey Leaf Luminaries
Homemade Pumpkin Puree Cooking Supplies
- Small to medium Sugar Pumpkin or New England Pie Pumpkin
- Pot with steamer large enough to steam cut up pumpkin
- Vitamix or Food Processor
- Ice cream Scoop or large metal spoon
The Best Way to Puree Pumpkin
Many people bake their pumpkins before pureeing them, and my family is not fond of this method of pureeing pumpkins. We prefer great grandma’s method of using steam to make pumpkin puree. Try it, and we think you will agree!
Step 1 – Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds of a baking pumpkin.
Step 2 – Steam the pumpkin to make pumpkin puree.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and put it in a pot to boil and steam for about 20 – 30 mins.
- You may need to cut it into smaller chunks, but only cut the chunks as small as you need to make them fit in your pot.
- The pumpkin is done when you can easily stick a fork through the skin.
- Alternatively, you can cut the skin off the pumpkin and then cut it into chunks to steam it to make it puree.
Step – 3 Allow Pumpkin halves to cool for about 5 – 10
- Turn off the stovetop and allow the pumpkin to cool before moving on to the next step.
Step 4 – Scoop the fresh pumpkin puree out of the steamed pumpkin.
- Use an Ice Cream Scoop or large metal spoon to scoop the pumpkin out of the skin and directly into a blender, Vitamix, or food processor.
- I like to put the piece I’m working on in a bowl to make it easier to scoop the pumpkin out and separate it from the skin.
Step 5 – Blend homemade pumpkin puree to a smooth consistency.
- Use a bender, Vitamix, or food processor to blend the steamed pumpkin to a smooth consistency. Do NOT add water. That’s it! Simple right?
- Alternatively, you can cut the skin off the pumpkin and then cut it into chunks to steam it to make it puree. Then place the chunks directly into your Vitamix or food processor.
- Either way, making pumpkin puree is pretty darn easy. I think it’s even easier than going to the store to get a can of pumpkin puree!
How to Make Pumpkin Puree from Scratch Photo Tutorial
The photos below show how to make pumpkin puree from scratch by steaming it.
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree from scratch
You just can’t beat cooking with homemade pumpkin puree. It’s so easy to make using great grandma’s steam method you’ll wonder what took you so long to try it!
Making pumpkin puree from scratch adds flavor to your holiday baked goods, desserts, and pumpkin recipes that you just can’t get out of a can.
If you liked learning how to make pumpkin puree from scratch, you might also like the following:
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch
- How to make a Thankful Tree
- Turkey Leaf Lanterns
- 10 Ways to Have Fun Outside with Fall Leaves