Shell Frame Keepsake Craft and Gift Idea – Shell picture frames with handprint art, footprint art, children’s artwork, or a photograph placed inside are unique handmade gifts kids can make for parents and grandparents. Children from toddlers to teens can make picture frames decorated with shells found on holidays and daily adventures, and then fill them with a special keepsake.
A shell frame is a picture frame decorated with shells. Picture frames decorated with shells make a lovely handmade gift idea for Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or a birthday!
Even though handprint art is shown placed inside each shell frame, shell picture frames can also be filled with footprints, photo’s or artwork to complete this unique homemade craft and gift idea.
Invite your children to use the shells that they find on family vacations and daily nature hunt adventures into something beautiful for someone that they love!
Related: Homemade Gifts that Kids Can Make
Related: Shell Daisy Nature Craft
Homemade Shell Picture Frame with Handprint Keepsake Gift
Homemade gifts that kids can make are always a hit with parents and grandparents. Children from toddlers to teens can make these shell frame keepsake crafts as a homemade gift idea for Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or a birthday!
The frames can be filled with handprints, footprints, photo’s or artwork to complete this unique nature craft gift idea.
My 2.5-year-old daughter (at the time) and I had so much fun crafting these together.
Related: Soothing Sea Shells Sensory Bottle
Shell Frames Craft Materials:
Head out on a nature hunt to collect some shells to decorate picture frames with, or get out any seashell treasures that you have stashed away collected on family vacations and daily adventures.
If collecting shells is not your thing, we have provided links to purchase some that will work beautifully!
- Small to medium craft shells and more seashells
- Frames [raw wood or finished]
- Sandpaper sponge [if using raw wood picture frame]
- White glue
- Canvas Paper for the handprint art or footprint art (optional–You can also use pictures, or your child’s artwork to fill the shell picture frames.)
- Acrylic Craft Paint for the handprint art (optional)
- Mod Podge and foam brushes
How to Make Seashell Frame Step by Step Craft Tutorial
Follow the simple step by step directions to make this shell frames craft.
Step 1 – Sand frame if using raw wood (optional)
Raw wood shell frame options:
- Paint the raw wood frames with an acrylic paint color of choice, and allow the paint to dry before applying glue and shells to the frame. (Optional)
Step 2 – Place a line of white glue around the frame
- Draw a line of white glue around a picture frame. Allow your child to be as creative as they like with glue pattern or just help them draw a simple line of glue around the edge of the frame.
Step 3 – Decorate picture frames with seashells
- Next, Invite children to decorate shell picture frames with small to medium seashells. Simply, place each shell into the white glue to decorate the shell picture frames.
- Allow the glue time to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 4 – Apply Mod Podge to Shell Frames Craft (optional)
- Use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge on top of the wood and the shells to seal and protect the shell picture frames.
- Note: I completed this step for my daughter because she was only 2.5 at the time. An older child will be able to do this step on their own.
Step 5 – Fill shell picture frames with handprint art, footprint art, children’s artwork, or a photograph (optional)
- Follow the step by step directions in the next section to make handprint art to place inside each shell frame, or, put a photograph or child’s artwork inside the shell picture frames.
How to Make Handprint Art or Footprint Art for Shell Frame (Optional)
Turn your shell picture frames into unique keepsake gifts by making handprint art or footprint art to place inside of each shell frame.
Step 1 – Make handprint art or footprint art for shell picture frames
- This step can be done while waiting for glue and shells to dry before sealing the shell frames craft with Mod Podge.
- Use canvas paper for an artistic effect.
- Paint your child’s hand with an acrylic paint color of choice.
- Carefully press onto the canvas paper and carefully lift off.
- Allow handprint art or footprint art time to dry before placing inside shell picture frames.
Step 2 – Place handprint art or footprint art into sea shell frames
- Cut out handprint art or footprint art and place inside each shell picture frame.
- A good trick is to use the insert or backing that comes inside the frame. Place the insert over the handprint art or footprint art and trace to easily cut children’s artwork to the correct size.
- Alternatively, you can place photo’s, or children’s artwork inside.
More Shell Crafts for Kids
Give Sea Shell Picture Frames as Gifts or Hang and Enjoy!
Homemade gifts that kids can make are always a hit with mom, dad, and grandparents.
Seashell picture frames can be filled with handprints, footprints, photo’s or artwork to complete this unique homemade craft and gift idea, or left blank for the receiver to fill.
Children from toddlers to teens can make these beautiful shell frame keepsake gifts for Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or a birthday.
Make some shell picture frames with your children today. For more homemade gifts kids can make click on the link.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If you like Shell Crafts, You may also Like:
- Four Seasons Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Wooden Bead Bracelets
- Rainbow Ponybead and Prism Suncatchers
- Best Nature Crafts and Art Activities for Kids
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, learning through play, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…