DIY toys like these homemade magic wands are fun for Kids!
Use this no-sew star wand craft tutorial to learn how to make a simple DIY fairy princess, or magic wand toy, with rainbow ribbon streamers. Magic fairy wands, or princess star wands, are great birthday party favors, costume props, and dress-up toys for pretend or dramatic open-ended play!
Magic rainbow wands also make a great prop for several types of Halloween costumes, especially if your children like to dress up to pretend that they are fairies, princesses, queens, kings, wizards, and magicians as much as my daughter does. My little girl loves fairies and enjoys playing with her fairy garden, her fairy winter wonderland, and of course, she LOVES to pretend that she IS a fairy–and magic rainbow star wands make that possible. Just look at the fun she has playing with her fairy wand toys in the pictures below.
Related: Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Ribbon Star Wands
Related: DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
How to Make a Rainbow Ribbon Magic Fairy Wand for Kids
My daughter and I used our star cookie cutter, ribbons in a rainbow of colors, and glimmer felt to make these magic rainbow star wands. They turned out so well we decided to make more rainbow fairy wands to give away as favors for my daughter’s birthday party–they were a HUGE hit! Just look at how fun they are to play within the photographs below. You might also like our red, white, and blue star wands!
Related: Rainbow Art Projects (and Rainbow Crafts, Too!)
Homemade Rainbow Star Wand Materials
- White glimmer felt or stiff felt
- Star cookie cutter
- Fabric marker (disappearing ink) or fabric marking chalk
- Rainbow ribbon
- Wooden dowels (1/4 X 12 inches)
- Gold tinsel cord
- Low-temp glue gun
Related: DIY Rainbow Building Blocks DIY Toy for Kids
Magic Fairy Princess Wand Step by Step Directions
Follow the simple step-by-step instructions below to make fairy wands and magic wands for children in a rainbow of colors! Scroll down to look at the photo tutorials below the written directions to see each step in action.
Step 1 – Cut 2 felt stars for each magic fairy wand
- Cut two stars out of stiff white felt, or stiff white glimmer felt, for each magic wand.
- Draw a star–or trace a star-shaped cookie cutter with fabric chalk or a fabric marker with disappearing ink–onto the back of the stiff white glimmer felt.
- The ink in a fabric marking pen will disappear in about 12-24 hours. You can also use water to remove it. And yes, it works on white felt without leaving a trace!
Step 2 – Cut ribbon for each star wand
- Cut six 12 – 14-inch sections of ribbon in a rainbow of colors for each fairy wand.
- We used red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple found in THIS pack.
Step 3 – Glue ribbon strips to each felt star
- Next, use a low-temperature glue gun to attach the ribbon to the inside bottom of one side of each felt star.
- If you are using a glimmer felt, make sure the glimmer side of the felt is facing out.
- Have a look at the photo tutorials below to see this step of the fairy wand craft in action.
Step 4 – Attach felt star to a wooden dowel for each fairy wand Craft
- Place a wooden dowel on the inside of one rainbow ribbon star of each pair, and glue it in place.
Step 5 – Glue second star half to the wooden dowel to complete each magic wand Craft
- Glue the felt star halves and the wooden dowel and ribbons inside to create each rainbow ribbon magic fairy wand.
- Once again, make sure the glimmer side is facing out before gluing the star halves together.
Related: Best Shamrock and Clover Arts and Crafts
Step 6 – Attach the gold tinsel cord to the outside edge of each rainbow ribbon star wand
- Use a low-temperature glue gun with glue sticks to attach the non-stretch gold tinsel cord to the outside edge of the star on each magic fairy wand. (Because you will be touching the glue and getting it all over your fingers, it is necessary to use a low-temperature glue gun–or a glue gun with a low-temperature setting–so you and your children don’t get burned while making your rainbow fairy wands. High-temperature glue guns can cause a serious burn if you touch the glue, and even low tempurature guns can be hot and dangerous to the touch–please use caution.)
- Start on the star’s backside and work it around to the front.
- Next, glue a small section of cord to the part of the star wand without a gold tinsel cord on the back.
Related: Ultimate Family Gift Guide
Rainbow Ribbon Magic Wand DIY Toy for Kids
DIY rainbow ribbon magic fairy wands are fun for kids to dress-up props for pretend or imaginative play. They also make a great birthday party favor or costume prop.
Be sure to check out our Patriotic Star Wands for more photos and wand-making tips!
You may also like this collection of rainbow suncatchers to brighten your windows and this fun collection of easy rainbow art projects kids love!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
Leave a Comment