Here’s a cute fall craft that makes a sweet homemade gift idea for kids and the young at heart–make some fairy peg dolls today!
Here’s a set of fairy peg dolls in an assortment of autumn colors–a fairy craft or DIY toy for kids. These cute little DIY fairy dolls are an easy homemade gift idea for children, and fall fairies also make cute DIY home decor. They add a touch of autumn to your home when displayed on windowsills, mantles, shelves, nature tables, and in fairy gardens.
Related: Acorn Peg Doll Craft
How to Make Fall Fairy Peg Dolls
These little autumn fairy dolls are also perfect for pretend or imaginative dramatic play. My daughter hasn’t stopped playing with them since we made them.
She loves to fly her fairy peg dolls around the house and play with them in our fairy garden. We have even made a few painted rock fairy houses for them. Click on the link to learn how to make your own!
We also made a set of winter fairies, and you can make spring and summer fairies with this step-by-step peg doll craft for even more fairy fun!
Fall Fairy Peg Doll Craft Supplies
- Wooden peg dolls – This set has more wooden peg dolls than you will need for this fairy craft. Check out our other peg doll DIY toy ideas for kids at the bottom of this post.
- Acrylic paint – We used Gold, Orange, Espresso, and Plum
- Mod Podge and a foam brush (Optional)
- Paint pens – Or you can use this incredible nib dipped in paint.
- Wool felt or wool blend felt, or acrylic felt
- Sewing scissors – Sharp scissors make it easy to cut felt but don’t cut paper with them.
- Glue gun with glue sticks, craft glue, or glue dots
- Gold or silver star sequins (optional)
Related: The Best Fall Art Projects for Kids
Fall Fairy Peg Dolls DIY Toy for Kids Step-by-Step Directions
Read through the directions before making DIY fairy peg doll crafts. Also, see the step-by-step peg doll craft photo tutorial following the instructions.
Step 1 – Paint the Wooden peg doll bodies.
- Use acrylic paint colors in fall or autumn tones to paint the wooden peg doll bodies.
- When working with young children, we recommend taping off the heads with painter’s tape before inviting them to paint them in an assortment of fall colors.
Step 2 – Paint the fairy’s head.
- Look at the head of your peg doll and decide which part you want to be the face of the fairy.
- Paint a line from shoulder to shoulder. Don’t worry if it’s messy.
- Paint the back of the peg doll head.
- Square off the head by painting across the forehead of the wooden peg doll.
- Touch up and paint the neck of the peg doll and any other areas that need cleaning up around the fairy’s face.
Step 3 – Paint the fairy peg doll face.
- Use a red paint pen to paint a simple upturned line for the fairy’s mouth.
- Mark 2 sets of 2 dots with a brown or black paint pen to create the eyes for your fairy craft.
- Connect each set of 2 dots with a U to make the eyes for each fairy doll.
- Alternatively, you can make dots for the eyes. Check out this angel peg doll and our DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls if you would like to learn how to paint a slightly different face on your peg doll fairies.
Step 4 – Use Mod Podge to seal and protect your fairy craft. (Optional)
- Use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge to the entire fairy doll craft if you want to seal and protect the wooden peg doll. Mod Podge goes on white and dries clear.
Step 5 – Cut out wings for fall fairy craft.
- Cut out 2-inch by 1 1/2-inch rectangle of felt. [dark brown, gold, purple, and orange felt fairy wings are shown in the photographs.]
- Fold the felt rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Mark off a 1/2-inch section in the middle of the rectangle.
- Cut from the top mark to the top opposite corner and from the bottom to the bottom opposite corner.
- Open your fairy wings and place your thumb in the middle. Make the wing curve by cutting from the bottom corner toward your thumb. Once you reach the center, cut toward the top corner. Repeat on the other side.
Step 6 – Glue fairy wings to Wooden Peg Doll
- Place a drop of glue in the middle of the homemade fairy wings.
- Or, use a glue gun (with glue sticks) or glue dots to attach the fairy’s wings onto the painted wooden peg doll.
- Place the peg doll’s upper back into the glue.
Step 7 – Glue Star Sequin to the forehead of fairy doll DIY toy for kids (optional)
- If desired, glue a star sequin to the middle of each fairy’s forehead.
- Please be aware that the stars often fall off and are not very practical for imaginative play, but they do add a fun little sparkle to your fairy craft if you are into that sort of thing.
Related: Craft Stick Peg Doll Boat
Fairy Peg Dolls DIY Toy for Kids Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial
The photos below show how to make these cute peg doll crafts.
Fairy Craft Homemade Gift Ideas for Kids
These cute little fall fairies are surprisingly easy to make. Invite the kids to help you make this sweet fairy craft at home or in the classroom.
Fall fairy peg dolls are an easy fairy craft and DIY toy for Kids. Fairy peg dolls make a lovely handmade gift idea, and children love to use these cute little fairy peg dolls for pretend or imaginative dramatic play.
For more fall fun, check out our fall bucket list for the best autumn EVER!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Peg Doll Toy Ideas for Kids
If you purchase wooden peg dolls to make these autumn fairy peg dolls, you will have enough left to make a few more of these wooden DIY toy ideas for kids!
- Winter fairy Peg Dolls
- Acorn Peg Doll DIY Toy for Kids
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
- Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls
- Peg Doll Boat Craft
- Elf Peg Doll Ornaments
- Angel Peg Doll Ornament
- Easy Wooden Peg Doll Nativity Scene