Fall fairy peg dolls are a fairy craft and DIY toy for kids. These cute little DIY fairy peg dolls are an easy homemade gift idea for children. Fall fairies also make cute DIY home decor. They add a touch of autumn to your home when displayed on windowsills, mantles, shelves, nature tables and in fairy gardens.
Related: Acorn Peg Doll Craft
How to Make Fall Fairy Peg Dolls
These little autumn fairy dolls are also perfect for pretend play. My daughter hasn’t stopped playing with them since we made them.
We have also made a set of winter fairies and will be making spring and summer fairies soon… stay tuned for more fairy fun!
Fall Fairy Peg Doll Craft Supplies
- Wooden peg dolls – There are more wooden peg dolls in this set than you will need for this fairy craft. Check out all of our other peg doll DIY toy ideas for kids at the bottom of this post.
- Acrylic paint – We used Gold, Orange, Espresso, and Plum
- Mod Podge and foam brush (Optional)
- Paint pens – Or you can use this incredible nib dipped in paint.
- Wool felt or wool blend felt, or acrylic felt
- Sewing scissors – Sharp scissors make it easy to cut felt.
- Glue gun with glue sticks, craft glue, or glue dots
- Gold star sequins (optional)
Related: The Best Fall Art Projects for Kids
Fall Fairy Peg Dolls DIY Toy for Kids Step by Step Directions
Read through the entire directions before you start making this fairy craft. Also, see the step by step fall fairy peg doll photo tutorial that follows the written instructions.
Step 1 – Paint the fairy peg doll bodies
Use fall acrylic paint colors of your choice to paint the fairy peg doll bodies. If you are allowing a younger child to help you make this fairy craft, tape off the heads with painters tape to protect them.
Step 2 – Paint the fairy peg doll head
- Look at the head of your fairy peg doll and decide which part you want to be the face.
- Paint a line from shoulder to shoulder. Don’t worry if it’s messy.
- Paint the back of the peg doll head.
- Square off the head by painting across the forehead of the wooden peg doll.
- Touch up and/or paint the neck of the peg doll and any other areas that need cleaning up around the face.
Step 3 – Paint the fairy peg doll face
- Use a red paint pen to paint a simple upturned line for a mouth.
- Mark 2 sets of 2 dots with a brown or black paint pen to create the eyes for your fairy craft.
- Connect each set of 2 dots with a U to make the eyes for each fairy.
- Alternatively, you can make dots for eyes. Check out this angel peg doll and our DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls if you would like to learn how to paint a slightly different face on your peg dolls.
Step 4 – Use Mod Podge to seal and protect your fairy craft (Optional)
Use foam a brush to apply Mod Podge to the entire doll if you would like to seal and protect it. Mod Podge goes on white and dries clear.
Step 5 – Cut out wings for fall fairy craft
- Cut out 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch rectangles of felt to match the colors of the peg dolls. [We used dark brown, gold, purple, and orange.]
- Fold felt rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Mark off a 1/2-inch section in the middle.
- Cut from top mark to top opposite corner, and from bottom mark to bottom opposite corner.
- Open wings and place thumb in the middle. Make the wing curve in by cutting from the bottom corner in toward thumb. Once you reach the middle cut away from thumb toward the top corner. Repeat on the other side.
Step 6 – Glue fairy wings
- Place a drop of glue in the middle of the wings. (Using a glue gun makes this a lot quicker and easier because the glue dries instantly. My daughter wanted to help and she was not ready for glue guns back when we first made these so we used craft glue.)
- Place peg dolls upper back on the glue.
Step 7 – Glue Star Sequin to the forehead of fairy peg doll DIY toy for kids (optional)
- Glue a star sequin to the middle of each fairy’s forehead if desired. They end up falling off and are not really practical for play, but it does add a special little sparkle to this fairy craft.
Related: Craft Stick Peg Doll Boat
Fairy Peg Dolls DIY Toy for Kids Step by Step Photo Tutorial
Fairy Craft and Homemade Gift Idea for Kids
These cute little fall peg doll fairies are surprisingly easy to make. All you need is a few simple materials and a spare hour to make this sweet fairy craft.
Fall fairy peg dolls are an easy fairy craft and DIY toy for Kids. Fairy peg dolls make a lovely handmade gift idea. Children love to use these cute little fairy peg dolls for pretend or imaginative dramatic play.
For more fall fun be sure to check out our fall bucket list for the best autumn EVER!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Peg Doll Toy Ideas for Kids
If you purchase wooden peg dolls to make these autumn fairy peg dolls, you will have enough left to make a few more of these wooden DIY toy ideas for kids!
- Winter fairy Peg Dolls
- Acorn Peg Doll DIY Toy for Kids
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
- Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls
- Peg Doll Boat Craft
- Elf Peg Doll Ornaments
- Angel Peg Doll Ornament
- Easy Wooden Peg Doll Nativity Scene
If you This Liked Fall Craft, You May Also Like
- The Best Fall Nature Crafts
- How to Make a Fall Nature Table
- Signs of Fall Scavenger Hunt
- 11 Ways to Celebrate the Fall Autumnal Equinox
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the power of the imagination, learning through play, making this world a greener place to live, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…