This easy DIY craft tutorial teaches how to make a flower crown that lasts longer than a day with felt, satin, and other types of fake or faux flowers.
This DIY flower crown craft tutorial simplifies assembling a gorgeous flower headpiece, headband, or headdress with fake or faux flowers. Kids and adults of all ages (including preschoolers and kindergarteners) can make flower crowns with the step-by-step how-to instructions and flower crown DIY video tutorial below at home, in the classroom, at a birthday party, or at summer camp. Learn how to make a flower crown for a wedding, May Day, the summer solstice, a spring or summer fair, birthday party favors, or any other festival or special event with the flower crown craft tutorial below. Or try making paper flower crowns with our printable crown template.
Flower Crown DIY Craft Supplies
Gather the craft supplies below before making flower crowns. We recommend using a glue gun with glue sticks to make flower crowns because it dries fast enough to put the crown on immediately. However, they are hot and dangerous tools. So if you are making flower crowns with children, please ensure they are supervised and know how to use one safely.
Or use craft glue or glue dots to make flower crowns with kids, but please ensure the glue is dry before placing it on someone’s head if you use either of those alternatives. Another thing you can do is add a bit of felt (or another type of fabric) to the inside of the crown on the other side of the craft glue or glue dot to ensure it doesn’t stick to anything.
- Floral wire–bind or vine wire covered with paper
- A glue gun with glue sticks, glue dots, or craft glue
- Multicolored ribbons (optional)
- Soft measuring tape (optional)
- Faux flowers–choose at least one of the options below:
How to Make a Flower Crown with Fake Flowers
Have you ever wondered how to make a flower crown? If so, the step-by-step flower crown DIY tutorial below makes it easy for kids or adults to fashion a gorgeous flower headpiece perfect for May Day, a wedding celebration, summer solstice, summer camp, a birthday party favor, or another festival or special event any time of year–because it’s made with faux flowers!
I learned how to make flower crowns with felt roses using the technique described below at a May Day festival at my daughter’s Waldorf school when she was in kindergarten. I’m not sure who came up with the idea, but I’m sure it was one of the amazing teachers at Blue Oak Charter School in Chico, CA.
That day we learned how to make flower crowns with felt scraps rolled into cute little roses. But since then, we’ve made these beautiful flower crafts with all sorts of different fake and faux flowers using the same floral wire crown we learned to make that day. As you can see in the photographs sprinkled throughout this flower crown craft tutorial, they have all turned out beautifully and look gorgeous on any girl, boy, man, or woman!
And best of all, they are made to last, unlike flower crowns made with real flowers. But handmade flower crowns made with fresh flowers are equally gorgeous, so have a look through this list of flower nature crafts for a few different ways to make them if you would prefer to use real flowers.
DIY Flower Crown Step-By-Step Craft Tutorial
Over the years, we’ve discovered that there are many ways to make a flower crown with fake flowers. So please read through the step-by-step flower crown DIY how-to instructions before making flower crowns so you know the steps involved and what to expect, and you can make a more informed choice about how you would like to make one. We also recommend watching the DIY flower crown step-by-step video tutorial posted below the directions before getting started. You might also enjoy making fingerprint flower magnets.
1. Cut a section of floral wire.
- Please note that floral bind wire has several color options; light coffee, brown, deep green, and red. Light coffee or brown is shown in the photographs, but all color options look gorgeous when made into flower crowns, so choose the color you like best.
- Use scissors (or wire snippers) to cut two and a half to three feet of the floral wire covered in paper. (You might need to cut a little more or less depending on the flower crown size needed.)
2. Twist the floral wire into a crown, headdress, or headband sized to fit the wearer.
- Fold the section of floral wire cut in step one in half.
- Place two fingers between the floral bind wire at the fold.
- Wrap the floral wire around both fingers and twist it 2-3 times to create the first loop, as shown in the flower crown DIY video tutorial below.
- Remove your fingers and place them on the other side of the first twist or loop.
- Again wrap the floral wire around two fingers and twist the floral wire 2-3 times. (Please watch the flower crown video tutorial below to see these steps in action.)
- Make more loops by twisting the floral wire around your fingers until you have reached the desired crown length. (Measure the circumference of the crown of the wearer’s head with a soft measuring tape, or use the floral wire crown itself to measure the size needed to make the crown.)
- Once the crown is the desired length, place the two free floral wire ends through the first loop and twist it between the first and last loop to finish it, as shown in the video tutorial below.
- And finally, cut away the remaining floral wire.
3. Glue felt, satin, or other faux flowers to the flower crown.
- Please read through the tips below before attaching any flowers to the headpiece.
- Determine how you would like to arrange the felt, satin, or faux flowers on the DIY crown.
- One way to make a felt flower crown is to glue a flower to each twist point in the floral wire crown, as shown in the video tutorial below.
- Or glue the flowers on the crown headpiece in any way that looks good, depending on the type and size of your fake flowers. Some larger faux flowers, for example, look best sitting inside the floral wire loops.
- We’ve discovered that gluing a flower over or to the final twist point in the floral wire headpiece to secure it is a great place to start attaching the faux flowers to the crown.
- After making several felt flower crowns, we’ve also learned that it’s easy to attach ribbons between one of the flowers and the twisted floral wire headpiece instead of doing so after the crown is completed. So this is also something to consider before getting started.
- Adding felt leaves is optional but looks gorgeous on some felt flower crowns, as shown in the photographs of my daughter wearing the blue felt flower crown with green leaves.
4. Glue or tie ribbons to the flower crown. (This step is optional but recommended.)
- If you didn’t do so already, it’s time to glue or tie colorful ribbons onto the homemade flower crown to drape down the back.
- As mentioned in step 3, you can glue ribbons to the flower crown underneath one (or more) of the fake flowers so they hang between the flower and the headpiece.
- Or, bunch them together and glue them to the inside of the floral wire headpiece or tie them around the crown however you wish.
- Cut ribbons as long or as short as you like depending on the person’s size, the length of their hair, and personal preference. (We cut most ribbons for our flower crowns about one and a half to two and a half feet long, and they looked lovely!)
- Please choose colors that are the same as the flowers or that complement or contrast them in some way, as shown in the flower crown photographs for this post and the DIY video tutorial below.
- And feel free to use only a few ribbons or colors, or use as many as you like.
Flower Crown DIY Video Tutorial
Watch the step-by-step flower crown craft tutorial below and use the instructions above to learn how to make flower crowns with fake flowers.
Floral Crown Crafts for Kids and Adults
We hope you enjoyed learning to make flower crowns with fake or faux flowers with the DIY tutorial above. You can even make a matching flower lei necklace (as shown in the photograph above) to go with it with our step-by-step craft tutorial. Click the link above to learn how!
Flower crown crafts are fun to make for weddings, May Day, spring or summer fairs, the summer solstice, summer camp, a birthday party, or any other festival or special event. And the step-by-step instructions make assembling flower crowns that last longer than the day you make them easy.
You might also enjoy making paper flower crowns with our printable templates, or DIY felt flowers on twig stems. Or check out the other flower craft ideas on the list below. Or pop over to see a list of flower art projects and painting ideas that kids and adults of all ages can make at home or in the classroom. Happy flower crafting!
Learn more about us HERE–> Rhythms of Play.