Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids
Each step satisfies the child’s innate desire to imitate the “work” that adults do around them and paves the way to real learning.
You may also like Coin Sorting Montessori-Inspired Sensorial Activity and How to Raise a Helper.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this website!
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Kids Activity
This activity includes a number of practical life skills, so it is best for preschoolers and older toddlers who have had a lot of experience with skills such as carrying a tray, pouring, and using scissors for cutting. You can adapt your flower arranging activity according to your child’s age and experience.
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids: Materials
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids: Preparation
- Pick or purchase flowers to arrange.
- Place doilies, flowers, discard bowl, scissors, a pitcher of water, and a vase in a tray or on an activity mat.
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids: Demonstrate
Demonstrate how to arrange flowers. Follow the steps listed in the directions below. Young children learn best by imitating others.
You can describe what you are doing as you work, but there is no need to lecture or teach your child. When you are finished with your demonstration invite your child to complete the activity.
Montessori recommends that all practical life activities proceed from left to right, and top to bottom. Doing activities in this way begins to create a habit that prepares the child for reading and writing.
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids: Directions
1. Have your child put an apron on. [This starts the activity cycle and the child knows it is time to work.]
2. Present the materials. Place the flower arranging tray or activity mat in front of your child.
3. Pour water into a vase.
My daughter likes to work outside on her DIY Art Table & Mud Kitchen. Click on the link to learn how to make your own.
4. Trim each flower before placing it in the vase using scissors. Stand the flower next to vase to determine the amount that needs to be trimmed.
5. Place the trimmings in a discard bowl, and the flower in the vase. Repeat trimming and placing each of the flowers until complete.
Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids: Clean up
1. Invite your child to place their flower arrangement. This will help your child feel like a valued contributor in the home. (Be sure to demonstrate how to carry a vase with two hands so they do the same.)
2. Clean up and put everything away. In our house, that means placing the flower trimmings in the compost bin and placing the tray with the pitcher on the kitchen counter.
3. Roll up the activity mat and put it away.
4. Have your child take their apron off and hang it up. [These are important last steps because they complete the activity cycle and the child knows their work is complete.]
Below is a photo of an arrangement my daughter placed after completing this activity one day. I wanted to turn it around to face the room but that would have disturbed her work and put less value on it.
Do your best to abstain from moving your child’s arrangement. Admire it as is!
Montessori practical life activities are designed to help children develop logical thought and independence.
Each step of this flower arranging Montessori practical life activity for kids (picking flowers, pouring water, cutting flowers, arranging flowers) is a practical life skill that paves the way to real learning.
You May Also Like
- Coin Sorting Montessori-Inspired Sensorial Activity
- Cutting a Banana: A Montessori Practical Life Activity
- Squeezing an Orange Practical Life Activity
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids - February 25, 2017
- DIY Rainbow Ribbon Fairy Wands for Kids - February 23, 2017
- Lucky Four Leaf Clover Nature Collage - February 22, 2017