These DIY monarch butterfly peg dolls are surprisingly easy to make. All you need is a few inexpensive materials and a free afternoon.
They add a lovely summer element to your home decor and are perfect for displaying on nature tables. They are also wonderful for pretend or imaginative play.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls
My 2.5 year old daughter helped me paint the bodies, but I did the rest of the detailed work on my own. It wasn’t hard, just too complicated for one so young. An older child would easily be able to make them on their own.
DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls Materials:
- Peg dolls
- Orange monarch butterflies or multi-colored monarch butterflies
- Black pipe cleaners
- Black acrylic craft paint
- Paint brush(s)
- Incredible nib (optional)
- Craft glue or glue gun with glue sticks
DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls Directions:
Step 1 – Paint Body’s
- Allow to dry
- Tip: If you will have a young child assisting you like I did tape of the heads with painters tape and have them paint the bodies. Check out Elf Peg Doll Ornaments to see photo’s of this.
Step 2 – Paint the Necks
- First I painted all the bodies. Once they were dry I went back and painted the neck and head. I did this for two reasons:
- My 2.5 year old daughter helped me paint the bodies.
- It makes it easier to hold the doll to do detail work with the neck, head, and face.
Step 3 – Paint the Heads
- Look at the wood first to determine which part you would like to be the face.
- Paint a line right in the middle of the head from neck to neck. Don’t worry about how messy it is. (a & b)
- Fill in back of head. (c)
- Narrow the face and clean up your line to make it nice. (d)
Step 4 – Paint Faces
I used a tool called the incredible nib to do the detail of the face. It’s a pen you can dip in paint. but you can use a regular paintbrush or paint pen if you prefer.
Step 5 – Make and Apply Antenna
- Cut pipe cleaners in half and use one half for each peg doll.
- Overlap pipe cleaner so the circle is large enough to fit around the dolls head. (a)
- Tie once around. (b & c)
- Use base of paint brush to curl tips. (d)
- Place antenna on head. (e)
- Glue it in place. (optional)
Step 6 – Apply Wings
- Cut off wire. (a)
- Cut off antenna. (b)
- Place glue on bottom of butterfly. (c)
- Attach monarch butterfly to peg doll – press firmly for about a minute. (d)
- Lay on belly and allow to dry if not using a glue gun. (e)
As you can see these monarch butterfly peg dolls are simple to make with a few inexpensive materials.
They add a lovely summer element to your home decor and are perfect for displaying on nature tables. They are also wonderful for pretend or imaginative play. My daughter loves to fly them around the house chatting away all day long.
You May Also Like:
- Butterfly Sensory Bottle
- Celebrate Summer
- Start Your Own Fairy Garden
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- DIY Outside Art Table and Mud Kitchen
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids - February 25, 2017
- DIY Rainbow Ribbon Fairy Wands for Kids - February 23, 2017
- Lucky Four Leaf Clover Nature Collage - February 22, 2017