These cute little DIY acorn peg dolls are surprisingly easy to make. It only took me about 20 minutes to make them start to finish.
My daughter is a little young for this nature craft having just turned three, but an older child would easily be able to make these. It is a super easy craft for both kids and adults.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Acorn Peg Dolls
DIY Acorn Peg Dolls: Materials
- Acorn Caps (Go on a nature hunt to find these. Look under and around oak trees.)
- Peg Dolls (This package contains more than you will need. You can find all my other peg doll projects listed at the bottom of this post.)
- Yellow Orchre watercolor tube
- Raw Umber watercolor tube
- Paint brushes for watercolor paint
- Mod Podge Matte to seal and protect (optional)
- Foam brush (if using Mod Podge)
- Craft Glue
- Brown or Black Paint pen (Full set of paint pen colors – brown not available separately)
DIY Acorn Peg Dolls: Directions
Step 1 – Paint peg doll bodies
- Fill 8 – 16 oz glass or canning jar with water.
- Place a tiny dab of each paint color on a paint tray or small dish.
- I layered the colors by painting on the yellow orchre first followed by raw umber when the paint was still wet.
- Dip paintbrush into water and then into paint, apply directly to body of the doll.
- Do not paint the head.
- Allow to dry.
Step 2 – Glue on acorn cap
- Place a large drop of glue inside each acorn cap.
- Look at the heads and decide what you want to be the face. Place cap accordingly.
- Press down for 5 – 10 seconds.
Step 3 – Paint on Face
- Use a paint pen to dot on a simple face. For a more detailed tutorial check out DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls.
Step 4 – Apply Mod Podge (Optional)
- Use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge to peg doll to seal and protect.
DIY acorn peg dolls are a fun craft idea for both adults and kids preschool age and up. The perfect handmade dolls for pretend or imaginative play. They also look wonderful displayed on mantles, window sills, nature tables and in fairy gardens.
For more amazing fall nature crafts see Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts.
You May Also Like
- DIY Acorn Marble Necklace Nature Craft
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls
- Peg Doll Boat Craft
- Fall fairy Peg Dolls
- Winter fairy Peg Dolls
- DIY Elf Peg Doll Ornaments
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!