Faux stained glass candle holders are a handpainted craft for kids and adults. Creating stained glass effects with glass paint is a simple hack that looks gorgeous. These beautiful square votives make a unique homemade gift idea that even kids can make.
DIY Faux Stained Glass Candle Holders
Using glass paint to create the look of stained glass is a simple process. It’s easy, but it’s not quick. It takes time to allow the liquid (lead-free) leading to dry completely before painting. Click HERE for another project that uses glass paint without the liquid leading.
My daughter and I worked on this project together for about 10-30 minutes over several days, but an adult working on their own could complete it much faster.
DIY Faux Stained Glass Candle Holders Materials
- Rubbing alcohol
- 2-inch or 3-inch Clear square votive holders
- Glass paint
- Liquid leading (Included in glass paint set above)
- Paintbrush set
- Painting smock for kids
- Votive candles [to complete the gift]
How to Make Faux Stained Glass Candle Holders
This faux stained glass project is not something that you sit down and do all at once. You will need to allow drying time for the liquid (lead-free) leading, and drying time for the glass paint. If you assisting a young child I recommend breaking the project up into bite-sized steps that you tackle over several days.
- Wipe votives with rubbing alcohol.
- Use liquid leading to create lines in any way you like. Younger artists will need an adults assistance. Allow 12-48 hours drying time.
- Invite your child to paint. Glass paint needs to be painted on thick or it’s hard to see. This is usually not a problem for children because they tend to load their brushes with lots of paint and layer it on thick. Continue to assist your child in getting a new color until they are finished.
Related: Hand Painted Votives Gift Idea
Creating the look of stained glass with glass paint turns out beautifully. These unique candle holders make fantastic gifts that even kids can make! For more hand-painted candle holder ideas click HERE.
Don’t forget to pop over to have a look at more beautiful kid-made Gift ideas click HERE! For more gift giving ideas check out our Ultimate Gift Guide with DIY and Readymade Ideas for the Whole Family!
You may also like:
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Nell has over 20 years of experience working with children and is the founder of Rhythms of Play. She believes in the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, learning through play, and getting outside in all seasons! Learn more…