Make a small Halloween ghost craft or a large ghost decoration with these easy ghost craft tutorials. Ghost crafts are fun for kids and adults of all ages to make for Halloween.
Make a Halloween ghost craft out of tissue paper, a plastic bag, tulle, or an old white sheet–a classic Halloween craft for kids and adults. Ghost crafts also make an easy Halloween decoration idea made in any size, from super tiny to extra large, for indoor or outdoor use. Even toddlers and preschoolers will have fun making Halloween ghosts!
Related: Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
Related: Halloween Ghost Sensory Bottle
How to Make Halloween Ghost Crafts
Halloween ghost crafts are easy DIY Halloween decorations that toddlers, preschoolers, and kids of all ages can make at home or in the classroom. And this how-to article contains two sets of instructions for making ghost crafts. Learn how to make ghost crafts and decorations from small to extra large with recycled tissue paper, white plastic bags, tulle, a pillowcase, or an old white sheet with either of the step-by-step directions below!
Use the small to medium ghost craft instructions to make a small to medium-sized Halloween ghost craft. And use the extra-large Halloween ghost decoration tutorial to make even bigger Halloween ghost decorations with an old white sheet or extra-large white garbage bag. Scroll down for both sets of instructions to make ghost crafts!
Related: Halloween Art Projects Kids LOVE!
Halloween Ghost Craft and Decoration Supplies
- New or recycled white tissue paper, white garbage bags, a roll of tulle, an old pillowcase, or an old white sheet
- Cotton balls, crumpled recycled paper or plastic bags, cloth scraps, old socks, or a balloon
- Monofilament line (fishing line)
- Permanent marker, black construction paper or black felt, or another type of fabric
Related: Spider Magnet Craft and Decoration
Related: DIY Halloween Lanterns and Luminaries
Small to Medium Halloween Ghost Craft Directions
Learn how to make a ghost craft or a ghost decoration of any size with these simple Halloween ghost tutorials. Step-by-step instructions for an extra-large Halloween ghost decoration with an old white sheet are listed after the small to medium ghost craft photo tutorial below.
Step 1 – Cut squares to make ghost crafts.
- Use scissors to cut squares of tissue paper, fabric (tulle, an old sheet, or pillowcase), or white plastic garbage bags. We cut 10 to 12-inch squares to make ghost crafts, but they can be any size you like.
- The little ghosts can sit on a tabletop when you use small squares to make ghost crafts. Experiment to find the perfect size ghost craft for your purposes. You may decide to make ghosts of several different sizes. Don’t worry about making perfect squares; the sloppy ones add to the ghostly appeal.
Step 2 – Place two squares on a work surface with filler on top.
- First, offset the tissue paper, fabric, or plastic squares to show eight points (see the step-by-step photo collage tutorial below).
- Next, place a cotton ball, a crumpled piece of paper, a cut-up old sock, or fabric scraps on top of the squares.
Step 3 – Wrap the Squares around the filler to make the Halloween ghost head.
- Gently wrap the squares around the filler to create the head of the ghost craft or decoration.
Step 4 – Shape the Head For Each ghost craft.
- First, cut a section of the monofilament (fishing) line. One and a half to two feet is usually enough. If you are not going to hang the ghosts, use a shorter strand of monofilament string or a piece of Halloween ribbon.
- Next, tie the fishing line or ribbon around the neck of your Halloween ghost craft to secure the cotton ball (or other filler) in place to create the head of the Halloween ghost craft.
Step 5 – Create a face for Halloween ghost crafts.
- Use a black permanent marker to draw a simple face for each homemade Halloween ghost craft and decoration.
- Or, cut shapes out of black felt, construction paper, or another type of fabric and glue them onto the face of each ghost.
Related: Halloween Handout Ideas: Healthy Treats and Fun Alternatives
Small to Medium Halloween Ghost Crafts Photo Tutorial
Related: Giant Stick Spiderweb DIY Halloween Decoration
Extra Large DIY Halloween Ghost Decoration Instructions:
Homemade Halloween decorations and ghosts are always a hit with the kids. This easy step-by-step tutorial teaches how to make large ghost decorations out of an old white sheet or extra-large plastic bag! Or, use a tulle roll to make extra-large ghosts with the step-by-step directions above. Follow the directions below if you use an old sheet to make your extra-large ghost decoration.
Step 1 – Cut a small hole in the middle of an old white sheet.
- first, lay an old white sheet, plastic bag, or tule on the ground, and pick it up from the center.
- Next, cut a tiny hole in the center of the plastic bag or fabric.
Step 2 – Blow up a balloon.
- Use a balloon hand pump, or blow up a balloon the old-fashioned way!
Step 3 – Place a large piece of fabric or plastic over the balloon.
- Find the small hole you cut in the old sheet, tulle, or plastic bag and place the balloon’s knot through it.
Step 4 – Tie a section of the monofilament line (fishing string) to the balloon.
- Tie a 1 – 4-foot section of the monofilament line or fishing string to the knot on the balloon.
Step 5 – Use a permanent marker to draw a cute, friendly, or spooky face on your Halloween ghost decoration.
- Hold the balloon over the sheet on your lap and draw a friendly or spooky ghost face onto the old white sheet. Ensure that the front will be in the right place when you hang it by holding the ghost decoration from the balloon before you start drawing.
- Or, cut shapes out of black felt or another type of fabric and glue them onto the face of the ghost decoration.
Step 6 – Hang Ghost Decoration outside or inside
- Tie the monofilament line to a small nail, a tack, a tree branch, a flagpole, or a Halloween ghost decoration that can be hung anywhere else.
- Then, make a few more Halloween ghost decorations outside for even more ghostly fun!
Related: Spider Egg Halloween Decoration DIY
Halloween Ghost Crafts and Ghost Decoration Ideas
Making ghosts out of tissue paper, plastic bags, tulle, or an old white sheet is a classic Halloween craft and decoration for kids and adults. Make any DIY Halloween ghost decoration ideas with the kids for ghostly fun!
My daughter likes to use the Halloween ghosts she makes for imaginative play as she flies them around the house, while I like to use them to decorate our trees, ceilings, and windows for Halloween parties on Halloween night.
For more Halloween fun, check out this collection of Halloween Art Projects Kids LOVE!
You may also like this collection of gorgeous glowing Halloween lanterns and luminaries.
And don’t forget to pop over to have a look at our fall bucket filled with fun fall activities for the best Autumn EVER!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More fun Halloween Ideas
- Halloween Pumpkin Salt Painting
- 13 Healthy Treats and Fun Alternatives for Halloween
- Glowing Halloween Pumpkin Sensory Bottle
- Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts (Contains pumpkin and jack o’ lantern ideas)
- Halloween Ghost Sensory Bottle DIY
- Best Halloween Art Projects
- Giant Spider Web DIY Halloween Decoration
- Spider Egg Halloween Decoration
- Halloween Spider Door Decor
- Spider Craft
Leave a Comment