Top 10 Backyard Sandbox Ideas
Tips, tutorials, and hacks for 10 types of backyard sandbox ideas can be found below. Whether you prefer to DIY or Buy you will find what you are looking for!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Top 10 Backyard Sandbox Ideas
There is sure to be something that works for your needs in this awesome collection. Choose the one that you like best, or use these backyard sandbox ideas to come up with your own idea!
Backyard Sandbox Ideas:
1. Portable Sandboxes
Some of these portable sandboxes would be great for people that live in apartments with small outdoor spaces. The sand tables and sand and water tables listed below, would also be perfect for smaller yards and spaces.
- Sandbox on Wheels | Nonchalant Mom Blog
- Portable See-Thru Sensory Table
- Interlocking Sandbox
- Sand and Play Build a Box Sandbox
- Extra Large Portable Sand Tray with Lid
2. Backyard Sandbox Hacks
There are hacks for everything and backyard sandboxes are no exception. Check out the fun sandbox hacks below!
- Tent Sandbox | Coconut Love
- Tractor Tire Sandbox | i Heart Naptime
- Pool Sandbox with Tutorial for Cover | What Shall We Do Today? Life as an Air Force Family
3. Sand Tables
Sand tables are a simple option for any backyard no matter the size. Most of these could be sand or water tables. You can always make or purchase more than one to use for sand, water, gravel, or any type of sensory play material. See #4 for sand and water tables.
- DIY Style #1 Sand Table | Prodigal Pieces
- Sandbox Table | Shanty 2 Chic
- DIY Sand (and/or water) Table | Boxy Colonial
- 30 Minute DIY Sensory Table | Teaching Mommy
- Kids Picnic Table and Sandbox Combo | DIY Projects & Ideas 2 Live 4
- Sand Table
- Wooden Picnic Table with Sandbox
Sand and water tables are a fun option to have instead of, or in addition to, a backyard sandbox. Of course many of these could be used with just sand or water… or any other type of sensory material.
Click on the link to see my top 10 Sand and Water Tables. Most are DIY but there are also a few options that you could buy included in the collection.
5. Easy Sandboxes
An easy way to make a simple backyard sandbox is to make a raised garden bed of any size, place a tarp underneath, and fill it with sand. Below are a few other options you can DIY, upcycle, or buy. Each can have covers made or purchased for them.
- Color Block Sandbox from a Bookcase | The Homes I Have Made
- DIY Sandbox Tutorial for Backyard |Kenarry Ideas for the Home
- Build Your Own Sandbox | Nana’s Petals
- Backyard Sandbox | Made Everyday
- Backyard Sandbox
- Square Sandbox Kit with Cover
- Hexagon Sandbox Kit (Cover available as separate purchase)
6. Sandboxes with a Surrounding Seat
These type of sandboxes have a seat that goes around the entire sandbox. Sandboxes like this serve the dual purpose of sitting on while playing in the sand or using as a place to sit while hanging out in the backyard.
- How to Build a Sandbox | Kaboom
- Wooden Sandbox with Seats | Dover Projects
- Mini Sandbox | Our Family Unit
- Sandbox Seat
7. Covered Sandboxes
There are so many fun ways people have come up with to cover a sandbox. The simple sandboxes in #5 above can be covered with a tarp, while most of the sandboxes below are constructed with covers attached.
You can build doors, flaps, roofs, and canopy’s of all kinds to cover a sandbox. You can even use a TeePee! Check out all of the fun ideas to DIY or buy below!
- How to Build a Sandbox with Cover Doors | Modern Parents Messy Kids
- Deluxe DIY Sandbox Tutorial | Small and Friendly
- DIY Sandbox with Cover | Design Dining and Diapers
- How to Build a Sandbox Part I and How to Build a Sandbox Part II (Cover) | Young House Love
- How to Build a Covered Sandbox | DIY Network
- Sandbox with Cover that Converts to Roof
- TeePee Sandbox | Apartment Therapy
- Play and Store Sandbox
- Sandbox with Canopy
8. Sandboxes with Covers that turn into Bench Seats (Convertible)
This type of backyard sandbox has a lid that converts to seats when they are folded open! I found a few different options to DIY or buy.
- Covered Convertible Cedar Sandbox with two Bench Seats
- Sandbox with Built-in Seats | Ana White
- Build Your Own Sandbox | Utah Adventure Family
- Covered Convertible Cedar Sandbox with two Bench Seats with Canopy
9. Boat Sandbox
These are amazing! The outward explorer pirate ship play structure sandbox is my favorite!
- Old Boat Sandpit
- Sail Boat or Ship Sandbox | Ana White
- Pirate Ship Sandbox | Family Designs Inc.
- Outward Explorer Boat Sandbox with Canopy
- Pirate Ship Sandbox
10. Nature-Scape Sandbox Ideas
Uh-oh… you caught me! I’m still adding sandbox ideas to this glorious collection. It has been hard for me to find proper pictures with links for this type of sandbox so I need some more time.
I will create a photo square collage like the one’s above when I’m all finished here. Be sure you bookmark this page and sign up for my newsletter below so you don’t miss anything!
I LOVE natural sandboxes that blend into the space that they are created in. There lot’s of photos of these that don’t include tutorials. I hope these ideas spark your own creativity to design your own nature-scaped sandbox!
The Sandbox | We Play Outside
Backyard Bliss | Ana White
Tips, tutorials, and hacks for every kind of sandbox can be found above. Whether you prefer to DIY or buy you will find what you are looking for here!
You May Also Like
- Top 10 Sand and Water Tables
- DIY Outdoor Chalkboard
- DIY Outdoor Art Table & Mud Kitchen
- Start Your Own Fairy Garden
- How to Raise a Helper
- Human Sundial: Shadow Science Experiment
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- Green, Crafty & Creative
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017