Learn how to make natural cleaning products with this list of homemade cleaning solutions made with all-natural ingredients.
There are many benefits to making natural cleaning products. The desire to cut down on waste and harmful toxins in the environment are a few good reasons to make homemade cleaners. Another great reason to make all-natural cleaning products is to keep children and pets away from toxic substances in the home.
You have come to the right place if you want to learn how to make your cleaning products and homemade cleaning supplies. Scroll down to find a list of the best natural cleaning products made with all-natural ingredients!
Related: All-Natural Cleaning Kit for Kids
Best Natural Cleaning Products
I don’t know about you, but my family is over store-bought cleaning products–even the best environmentally-friendly cleaning products.
The prices are through the roof, and I am constantly finding toxic ingredients listed in them, including parabens and sulfates, that are not friendly to the environment at all!
I’ll be honest–I’m lazy. I don’t even want to clean, let alone make the natural cleaning supplies that I need to clean. I’m a mom with a hundred balls in the air at any given moment, and the last thing I need is to add to my to-do list. Are you with me?
But, many of the ingredients found in most cleaning solutions are toxic, bad for the environment, and are especially bad for pets and young children. What’s a Lazy mom like me to do?
Start slowly, ingredient by ingredient, one natural homemade cleaning solution at a time.
Now that my family has made our cleaning supplies for the past several years, I have come to realize that DIY cleaners don’t take much effort after all. This lazy mom has learned to love making all-natural homemade cleaning solutions!
DIY Natural Cleaning Products
When I attempted to make household cleaning products in the past, they bombed miserably. I was not too fond of their smell as I was cleaning, and I wouldn’t say I enjoyed the scent they left behind.
When I clean the house, I want to feel rewarded by a home that both looks and smells fresh and clean. Don’t you?
Homemade cleaning products made with essential oils and the natural ingredients listed below have been the ticket to my lazy mom’s success. Many essential oils are disinfecting and cleaning agents that can help make the whole house smell wonderful–naturally!
I love making DIY cleaning products now that I have found Essential Oils! We have listed a few more ingredients we use in natural cleaning products below. Please scroll down to the next section to see our favorite natural DIY cleaning solutions.
Natural Cleaning Product Ingredients
Before mixing any of these ingredients to make your natural cleaning products, it is essential to know their natural cleaning properties.
It is also essential to know which ingredients should never be added to the same cleaning solution. Hydrogen peroxide, for example, should not be mixed with vinegar in the same bottle, and it can not be combined with vinegar or castile soap, either.
Why? Vinegar mixed with bleach can create toxic fumes, while vinegar mixed with Castile soap will make your natural cleaning products curdle and become ineffective. Neither result is expected or wanted if you attempt to clean your home or workplace.
Use the ingredients listed below to make your natural cleaning products. The best DIY cleaning recipes are in the next section.
- Distilled Water – We use distilled water as a neutral base in several of our homemade cleaning solutions including our homemade glass cleaner, and, all-purpose cleaning solution.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is a biodegradable acid that can be used as a natural bleach alternative for cleaning. The low acidic content of vinegar can hinder the growth of microorganisms and, can help break down grease, mold, bacteria, and rust. Even though Vinegar contains mild antiseptic qualities, it is not a broad-spectrum disinfectant. Never use vinegar on marble countertops, or mix vinegar with bleach or ammonia-based cleaning products.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – This household staple, more often found in the bathroom medicine cabinet than in the cleaning closet, can be used as a powerful household cleaner and natural disinfectant. Hydrogen peroxide has antimicrobial properties that can be used to kill harmful mold, mildew, bacteria, and fungus all over the house. The 3% household solution is safe for marble countertops and can be used to whiten and remove stains. Simply wipe and allow to air dry!
- Witch Hazel – Witch hazel is another household staple more often found in the bathroom than in the kitchen. It contains bacteria-fighting properties and can be used as a natural alternative to rubbing alcohol. This makes witch hazel an effective disinfectant and household cleaner. It can also be used to clean surfaces in the household including chrome and marble countertops. Wipe and allow to airdry for superior germ-fighting power!
- Castile Soap – This vegetable-based soap is used in bathrooms and kitchens across the world to clean surfaces of all kinds from the dishes to the surface of the skin. As such, castile soap is a great addition to many types of natural cleaning products. Just don’t mix it with vinegar, or you will end up with a curdled mess!
- Baking Soda – Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda is a natural cleaning agent that can help clean and deodorize the whole house. It is a mild alkali and gentle abrasive that can be used to clean dirt, grease, and stains without bleach, ammonia, or other harsh chemicals.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are volatile oils and compounds that are extracted from various types of plants and plant structures. These concentrated extracts are designed to capture each plant’s essence in order to use it in several types of applications, including natural cleaning products.
Natural Cleaning Solution Recipes
Learn how to safely mix the natural cleaning solution ingredients to make your DIY cleaning products with the tutorials listed below.
- Natural DIY All-Purpose Cleaner (coming soon, stay tuned!)
- Best Natural Homemade Glass Cleaner (can also be used as an all-purpose cleaner)
- DIY Natural Wood Cleaner
Recommended Supplies for Making DIY Cleaners
- 16-ounce spray bottle (or get a 2 pack with a funnel and labels included!)
- 16-ounce glass measuring cup
We like to use clear spray bottles for our glass cleaner, blue spray bottles for our all-purpose cleaning solution, and brown bottles for our wood polish. It helps everyone in the house know at first glance which homemade cleaning product we need to grab, but you are welcome to use whichever color you like.
Glass spray bottles are the best for natural cleaning solutions because essential oils keep longer in glass containers, and using glass bottles can cut down on the amount of plastic waste. The planet is in desperate need of less plastic! If you are concerned about glass breaking, use silicon sleeves for glass spray bottles.
The bonus of using a glass bottle is that I don’t mind it sitting on my kitchen counter, ready to use. It looks nice instead of an ugly plastic bottle with some awful name-brand logo on it. Besides, leaving it out on the counter makes it more likely that my husband and children will use it!
DIY Cleaning Products Made with All-Natural Ingredients
Stock up on these natural ingredients, and use them to make your natural cleaning products.
We think that the health of your family and the environment is more than worth it! I promise that it’s a lot easier to make homemade green cleaning products than you think. 😉