Learn how to make natural cleaning products with this list of homemade cleaning solutions made with all-natural ingredients.
There are many benefits to making natural cleaning products. The desire to cut down on waste and harmful toxins in the environment are a few good reasons to make homemade cleaners. Another fantastic reason to make all-natural cleaning products is to keep children and pets away from toxic substances in the home.
If you would like to learn how to make your own cleaning products and homemade cleaning supplies you have come to the right place. Scroll down to find a list of the best natural cleaning products made with all-natural ingredients!
Related: All-Natural Cleaning Kit for Kids
Best Natural Cleaning Products
I don’t know about you, but my family is done with store-bought cleaning products. Even the best environmentally-friendly cleaning products.
The prices are through the roof, and, I am constantly finding toxic ingredients listed in them, including parabens and sulfates, that are not friendly to the environment at all!
I’ll be honest… I’m lazy. I don’t even want to clean let alone make natural cleaning supplies to clean with. I’m a mom with a hundred balls in the air at any given moment and the last thing I need is to add to my to-do list. Are you with me?
But… Many of the ingredients found in most cleaning solutions are toxic, bad for the environment, and are especially bad for pets and young children. What’s a Lazy mom like me to do?
Start slowly, ingredient by ingredient, one natural homemade cleaning solution at a time.
Now that my family has made our own cleaning supplies for the past several years, I have come to realize that DIY cleaners don’t take much effort after all. This lazy mom has learned to love making all-natural homemade cleaning solutions!
DIY Natural Cleaning Products
When I attempted to make my own household cleaning products in the past they bombed miserably. I couldn’t stand them. I didn’t like the smell of them as I was cleaning, and I didn’t like the smell that they left behind.
When I clean the house, I want to feel rewarded by a home that both looks and smells fresh and clean. Don’t you?
Homemade cleaning products made with essential oils, and the natural ingredients listed below, have been the ticket to my lazy mom’s success. may types of essential oils are disinfecting and cleaning agents that can help make the whole house smell wonderful–naturally!
I love making DIY cleaning products now that I have found Essential Oils! We have listed a few more of the ingredients we use in natural cleaning products below. Scroll down to the next section to find our favorite natural DIY cleaning solutions.
Natural Cleaning Product Ingredients
Before you go mixing any of these ingredients together to make your own natural cleaning products, it is important to know about their natural cleaning properties.
It is also important to know which ingredients should never be mixed together in the same cleaning solution. Hydrogen peroxide, for example, should not be mixed with vinegar in the same bottle, and, it should never be mixed with vinegar or castile soap.
Why? …Vinegar mixed with bleach can create noxious fumes, while vinegar mixed with Castile soap will make your natural cleaning products curdle and become ineffective. Neither result is expected or wanted if you are attempting to clean your home or workplace.
Use the ingredients listed below to make your own natural cleaning products. The best DIY cleaning recipes are listed in the next section.
- Distilled Water – We use distilled water as a neutral base in several of our homemade cleaning solutions including our homemade glass cleaner, and, all-purpose cleaning solution.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is a biodegradable acid that can be used as a natural bleach alternative for cleaning. The low acidic content of vinegar can hinder the growth of microorganisms and, can help break down grease, mold, bacteria, and rust. Even though Vinegar contains mild antiseptic qualities, it is not a broad-spectrum disinfectant. Never use vinegar on marble countertops, or mix vinegar with bleach or ammonia-based cleaning products.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – This household staple, more often found in the bathroom medicine cabinet than in the cleaning closet, can be used as a powerful household cleaner and natural disinfectant. Hydrogen peroxide has antimicrobial properties that can be used to kill harmful mold, mildew, bacteria, and fungus all over the house. The 3% household solution is safe for marble countertops and can be used to whiten and remove stains. Simply wipe and allow to air dry!
- Witch Hazel – Witch hazel is another household staple more often found in the bathroom than in the kitchen. It contains bacteria-fighting properties and can be used as a natural alternative to rubbing alcohol. This makes witch hazel an effective disinfectant and household cleaner. It can also be used to clean surfaces in the household including chrome and marble countertops. Wipe and allow to airdry for superior germ-fighting power!
- Castile Soap – This vegetable-based soap is used in bathrooms and kitchens across the world to clean surfaces of all kinds from the dishes to the surface of the skin. As such, castile soap is a great addition to many types of natural cleaning products. Just don’t mix it with vinegar, or you will end up with a curdled mess!
- Baking Soda – Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda is a natural cleaning agent that can help clean and deodorize the whole house. It is a mild alkali and gentle abrasive that can be used to clean dirt, grease, and stains without bleach, ammonia, or other harsh chemicals.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are volatile oils and compounds that are extracted from various types of plants and plant structures. These concentrated extracts are designed to capture each plant’s essence in order to use it in several types of applications, including natural cleaning products.
Natural Cleaning Solution Recipes
Learn how to safely mix the natural cleaning solution ingredients to make your own DIY cleaning products with the tutorials listed below.
- Natural DIY All-Purpose Cleaner (Publish date March 24, 2020–coming soon, stay tuned!)
- Best Natural Homemade Glass Cleaner (Can also be used as an all-purpose cleaner)
- DIY Natural Wood Cleaner
Recommended Supplies for Making DIY Cleaners
- 16-ounce spray bottle (or get a 2 pack with a funnel and labels included!)
- 16-ounce glass measuring cup
We like to use clear spray bottles for our glass cleaner, blue spray bottles for our all-purpose cleaning solution, and brown bottles for our wood polish. It helps everyone in the house know at first glance which homemade cleaning product we need to grab, but you are welcome to use whichever color you like.
Glass spray bottles are the best for natural cleaning solutions because essential oils keep longer in glass containers, and, using glass bottles can cut down on the amount of plastic waste. The planet is in desperate need of less plastic! If you are concerned about the glass breaking, use silicon sleeves for glass spray bottles.
The bonus of using a glass bottle is that I don’t mind it sitting on my kitchen counter ready to use. It looks nice as opposed to an ugly plastic bottle with some awful name brand logo on it. Besides, leaving it out on the counter makes it more likely that my husband and children will use it!
DIY Cleaning Products Made with All-Natural Ingredients
Stock up on each of these natural ingredients, and use them to make your own natural cleaning products.
We think that the health of your family and the environment are more than worth it! I promise that it’s a lot easier to make homemade green cleaning products than you think. 😉
More Green Living Tips
- All-Natural Cleaning Kit for Kids
- Caring for the Earth: How to Help Kids Get it
- Encouraging Kindness to Nature
- Detoxify Your Home
- Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
- Eco-Friendly Gift Guide for Kids
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!