Learn how to make a windy fall leaves sensory bottle for your children to enjoy with this step-by-step DIY tutorial. (First published August 29, 2016; this post is updated and republished to improve the content.)
Learn how to make a fall leaves sensory bottle for children with the simple step-by-step instructions below. Tipping this fall-themed DIY sensory bottle from top to bottom produces a wind that blows the fall leaves and keeps each autumn leaf in constant motion. Making this fall sensory bottle DIY a fun sensory toy to be played with for fun or an autumn-themed tool to help children and adults learn to find focus in times of stress.
DIY Calm down jars are a great tool for no mess, safe, sensory play. They make an excellent timeout tool and science teaching aid and can help children (and adults) calm down, unwind, and even learn to meditate. This fall leaf discovery bottle is also helpful when teaching children about the wind and the changing seasons. For more information about sensory bottles and their uses, check out Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101.
Autumn-Themed Sensory Bottle Uses and Benefits
An autumn-themed DIY calm-down sensory bottle filled with fall leaves offers a multifaceted tool for children and adults to foster mindfulness, relaxation, and emotional regulation in the home, classroom, or workplace.
This sensory bottle tutorial will help you make a fall-themed calm-down toy filled with vibrant, captivating fall leaves and other autumnal elements, creating a visually appealing and dynamic tool that engages the senses, especially sight and touch.
For children, this sensory bottle can be particularly beneficial as a focus tool, helping them to manage feelings of anxiety or overwhelm by shifting their focus towards the gentle swirling motions of the leaves inside the bottle. This aids in promoting a sense of calm and improving concentration.
Adults, too, can utilize the bottle as a meditative aid, assisting in stress relief by providing a focal point to help anchor thoughts during mindfulness practices. Furthermore, its thematic design harnesses autumn’s natural beauty and tranquility, enhancing the sensory experience and making it a delightful seasonal addition to one’s mindfulness toolkit. You might also enjoy these DIY Nature Sensory Bottles for calming and learning.
How to Make a Sensory Bottle with Fall Leaves
First, gather the fall leaf sensory bottle craft supplies on the list below. Next, follow the easy step-by-step directions in the next section to make your windy fall leaves calm down jar. You might also enjoy painting Fall Leaves Watercolor Art.
Sometimes, you can find acrylic fall leaves that you can use to make this calm-down jar at the Dollar Tree or Ninety-nine Cents store. If not, we have provided Amazon affiliate links to craft supplies you can use to make this autumn-themed sensory bottle DIY. (If you click to purchase, Rhythms of Play will earn a small commission at no cost to the consumer.)
DIY Windy Fall Leaves Sensory Bottle Craft Supplies
- Quart mason jar or recycled plastic water bottle
- Goo Gone
- Acrylic fall leaves (try THESE, or THESE, or THESE, or THESE)
- Extra fine gold glitter (optional)
- Corn syrup
- Super glue
- Duct tape
Fall Leaf Discovery Bottle Step-by-Step Instructions
This easy tutorial teaches how to make a sensory bottle resembling fall leaves blowing through the sky on a windy day. Follow the instructions below to make this gorgeous autumn-themed sensory bottle DIY. You might also enjoy this see-through rainstick musical sensory bottle.
1. Use an empty plastic water bottle or mason jar.
- Grab an empty plastic water bottle from the recycle bin, mason jar, or another container to make a DIY sensory bottle. (Fill it with water and put the lid on it to see if it leaks. If it leaks–it won’t make a good choice.)
- Peel off stickers if needed, and use Goo Gone to remove the remaining sticky residue.
2. Add fall leaves to the sensory bottle.
- Add 10-20 acrylic fall leaves to start your DIY calm-down jar.
- We used red and yellow autumn leaves, with a few green leaves thrown in for good measure, to make the fall leaf sensory bottle shown in the photographs.
3. Fill the bottle or jar 2/3 of the way with corn syrup.
- Pour corn syrup into the empty water bottle or jar until it is two-thirds full.
4. Add gold glitter (optional).
- Sprinkle in a few shakes of extra fine gold glitter.
- Start with a small amount; you can always add a bit more if you need it.
5. Fill the remainder of the Fall sensory bottle with water
- Pour water into the discovery bottle until it is filled to the top with water.
- In other words, add water to the bottle until no air is left inside the fall leaves sensory bottle DIY.
6. Put the lid on the fall-themed sensory bottle.
- Place the lid on the DIY sensory bottle and shake it up. But don’t glue the lid on just yet.
- This fall sensory bottle DIY can be a bit clumpy and murky for a few hours until the contents of your fall sensory bottle mix and settle.
- So, please look at the sensory bottle troubleshooting tips below before gluing it shut.
Related: Fun Autumn Activities for Kids
Related: Rainstick Musical Sensory Bottle
Fall Leaves Calm Down Jar Trouble Shooting Tips and Finishing Touches
Play with your fall leaves sensory bottle for a day or two to ensure you like how the autumn leaves move around in the DIY calm-down jar. And follow this quick list of troubleshooting tips:
- If you want the fall leaves to move faster, pour some liquid and add more water.
- Do you want the fall leaves to move slightly slower in the sensory bottle? Pour some of the liquid out and add more corn syrup.
- And, of course, if you want more glitter–add more.
- When you are happy with how your autumn sensory bottle looks and moves, put some superglue around the inside rim of the lid to glue it shut.
- Wrap duct tape around the lid and bottle for extra security if you’d like. Sensory bottle lids can break when little ones try to pry them open once they are glued shut.
- And if the cap is not glued on, little ones can spill or drink the DIY fall-themed sensory bottle, so please use caution.
Related: The Best Fall Art Projects for Kids
Windy Fall Leaves Discovery Bottle Science Lesson
Calm-down jars like this fall leaf sensory bottle can help children calm down and unwind when stressed or overwhelmed. This fun sensory toy can also teach them about the wind and changing seasons. Make this gorgeous autumn leaves calm down jar with the kids for a fun and easy science lesson!
To add in a science lesson, explain how the wind moves from an area of low pressure to high pressure. Then, use this autumn sensory bottle to help teach children about fall leaves and wind as they play!
When the bottle is tipped from top to bottom, the fall leaves move from top to bottom to produce the appearance of wind blowing from high to low. Learning is fun! You might also enjoy this Human Sundial Shadow Science Experiment.
Windy Fall Leaf Calm Down Sensory Bottle
Like this windy fall leaf sensory bottle, Calm Down sensory bottles are great for safe, no-mess sensory play, a science teaching aid, and helping children (and adults) calm down and unwind.
Discovery bottles are also the perfect way for babies and toddlers to safely investigate small items like these beautiful autumn leaves without the risk of choking on them. You can even use this fall sensory bottle to help teach about the wind and changing seasons.
Learn more about DIY sensory bottles, their uses, how to make them, and more troubleshooting tips in Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101.
You might also enjoy this list of fall activities with a printable bucket list you can use to have the Best Autumn EVER!
DIY Fall Sensory Bottles
- Glow in the Dark Jack o’ Lantern | Rhythms of Play
- Glowing Ghost Sensory Bottle | Rhythms of Play
- Nature Sensory Bottles | Rhythms of Play
- Football | Sunny Day Family
- Learn to Spell Your Name | Preschool Inspirations
DIY Sensory Bottles
- Sunburst DIY Sensory Bottle
- Glow in the Dark Ringer Game Sensory Bottle
- Rainbow Galaxy Sensory Bottle
- Nature-Inspired Sensory Bottles