A windy fall leaves sensory bottle for your children to enjoy this autumn. Tipping this fall calm down bottle from top to bottom produces the wind that blows each fall leaf and keeps the autumn leaves in constant motion. This autumn discovery bottle can also be used to help teach children about the wind and changing seasons.
Sensory bottles like this can be used in many ways. They can be used for no mess safe sensory play, a timeout tool, a science teaching aid, and to help children (and adults) calm down and unwind.
For more information about sensory bottles and their uses check out Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101.
How to Make a Fall-Themed Calm Down Jar: Windy Fall Leaves Sensory Bottle
Gather supplies and follow the easy step by step directions below to make a windy fall leaf calm down sensory bottle for your children.
DIY Windy Fall Leaves Sensory Bottle Materials
- Voss Water Bottle (Any bottle from the recycle bin will do!)
- Goo Gone
- Fall leaves
- Gold glitter (optional)
- Corn Syrup
- Gorilla Super Glue
Related: Fall Leaf Art
How to Make a Fall Leaf Discovery Bottle: Step by Step Directions
- Grab a bottle out of the recycle bin and peel the sticker off. Use Goo Gone to remove sticky residue.
- Add 10-20 fall leaves. We used mostly red and yellow with a few green autumn leaves.
- Fill the Voss bottle with 75% corn syrup.
- Sprinkle in a few shakes of gold glitter. (Optional) Start with a small amount, you can always add a bit more.
- Fill the discover bottle up the rest of the way with water. You want to fill it all the way to the top of the calm down jar so there is no air in it.
- Place the lid on the DIY sensory bottle and shake it up. (It will be a bit clumpy and murky for a few hours until the contents mix and settle.)
Related: Rainstick Musical Sensory Bottle
Play with your DIY windy fall leaves sensory bottle for a day or two to make sure you like the way it moves. If you want the autumn leaves to move faster pour some of the liquid out and add more water.
If you want the leaves to move slower pour some of the liquid out and add more corn syrup.
Want more glitter? Add some more. Easy peasy!
Once you are happy with it glue on the lid and hand it over to your kids. Unless you’re keeping it for yourself of course. 😉
Windy Fall Leaves Discovery Bottle Science Lesson
To add in a science lesson, explain how the wind moves from an area of low pressure to high pressure. Use this autumn sensory bottle to help teach children about fall leaves and wind as they play!
When the bottle is tipped from top to bottom the fall leaves move from top to bottom to produce the appearance of wind blowing from high to low. Learning is fun!
Windy Fall Leaf Calm Down Sensory Bottle
Calm down sensory bottles, like this windy fall leaf sensory bottle, are commonly used for safe no mess sensory play, a science teaching aid, and to help children (and adults) calm down and unwind.
Discovery bottles are also the perfect way for babies and toddlers to safely investigate small items like these beautiful autumn leaves without the risk of choking on them. This one can also be used to help teach about the wind and changing seasons.
To learn more about sensory bottles, their uses, how to make them, and troubleshooting tips check out Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101.
Don’t forget to check out our Fall Bucket List for the Best Autumn EVER!
More DIY Fall Sensory Bottles
- Football | Sunny Day Family
- Learn to Spell Your Name | Preschool Inspirations
- Glow in the Dark Jack o’ Lantern
- Glowing Ghost Sensory Bottle
If you Liked This Autumn Sensory Bottles You may also like:
- Marbled Clay Autumn Leaves Craft
- Sunburst DIY Sensory Bottle
- Glow in the Dark Ringer Game Sensory Bottle
- Rainbow Galaxy Sensory Bottle
- Nature-Inpired Sensory Bottles
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!