Learn how to paint starfish art with watercolor paint and black glue as a resist medium. Painting a starfish is a fun ocean-themed watercolor art project for kids and teens. Paint a starfish with watercolors at home or in the classroom. Includes FREE printable starfish art template.
Paint starfish art with watercolors as a fun ocean-themed art idea for kids. Invite your children to draw their own starfish, or, enjoy painting a starfish with our FREE printable starfish art template!
Related: Watercolor Rose Art
Starfish Art Project for Kids
Draw your own starfish to create ocean-themed starfish art or enjoy the stress relieving activity of working with watercolors using our free starfish printable template.
We have purposely left the starfish art template blank in the middle so the artist can decide how they would like to finish it. Making a face or completing the starfish are two easy options.
Some of these turn out so beautifully that they can be hung on the wall or framed and given to family and friends as a unique handmade gift. To see 12 more under the sea black glue ocean art projects click on the link!
Starfish Art Supplies
- White glue
- Black acrylic paint
- Heavy cardstock or 140 lb watercolor paper
- FREE starfish printable
- Stockmar, liquid, tube, or pallet watercolor paint
- Paint brushes or water brushes
Watercolor Starfish Art Step by Step Directions
Step 1 – Make Black Glue
How to Make Black Glue
We have a small bottle of glue dedicated to continually mixing white glue and black acrylic paint into to make a never-ending supply of black glue. I never measure and it always turns out fine. Remember, white glue dries clear. Black glue will usually be greyish in color before it dries, and does not have to look black to dry black.
For more tips have a look at the watercolor rose art project that we made with black glue.
Step 2 – Draw or Print Starfish Art Template
Invite children to use a pencil to draw a starfish onto watercolor paper OR print out this FREE starfish printable onto heavy cardstock. The middle of the starfish art template is blank to allow the artist to decide how to finish the starfish.
I decided to complete the starfish before using watercolors to paint it, while my daughter made faces on the watercolor starfish art that she painted.
Step 3 – Trace the Outline of the Starfish Art with Black Glue
Trace the outline of the starfish with black glue and allow to dry overnight. Older children will be able to do this on their own while younger children will need help. Our 4-year-old daughter wanted to do hers “all by herself.” She did a great job!
Step 4 – Paint Starfish with Watercolors
Once the black glue is completely dry (overnight is best) invite children to use watercolors to paint their starfish using the colors of their choice.
Have a look at our starfish watercolor resist art tips below before you get started!
Related: The Best Fall Art Projects for Kids
Black Glue Starfish Watercolor Resist Art Project: Process and Tips
- Before painting, place newspaper or paper towels underneath the black glue starfish to help soak up any excess water.
- Print out and trace as many starfish as you’d like with black glue the night before you plan to paint. Be careful, black glue has the tendency to pool and spread when used in large amounts. Use it sparingly to keep nice lines.
- If your child has never worked with watercolors, I recommend preparing at least one extra starfish so you can demonstrate how to paint with watercolors first. Show more than tell, young children learn best by watching others.
- Watercolor painting is a perfectly imperfect art form. The key to working with watercolors is to literally go with, as opposed to against, the way they naturally flow. Use water to help them flow mix and blend even more.
- The black glue will resist the watercolor paint but will begin to pull black into the painting if it gets too wet. Have a look at our black glue rose for more tips!
Outlining a starfish with black glue and painting it with watercolors is a fun and easy art project for kids and adults. Try it today!
More Ocean-Themed Under the Sea Black Glue Art and Craft Projects
You may also like this amazing collection of under the sea ocean art projects that also use black glue as a resist medium.
Click on the link above to see all of the beautiful ocean art watercolor projects.
More Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art Projects for Kids and Teens
If you like working with black glue you may like some of the other art projects below. Click on the title to see the full tutorial for each art project.
- Winter Tree Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art
- Rose Black Glue Resist Art Project
- Fall Leaves Black Glue Watercolor Resist Art Project
For more fun art and craft ideas for kids and teens click on the link.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If you Liked Starfish Art, You may also like:
- Easy Flower Art Projects Kids LOVE!
- Four Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- Shadow Art Outdoor Science
- The Best Winter Art Projects for Kids