Give this gorgeous glitter sensory bottle a shake to see the swirl, sparkle, and SHINE just like a mermaid’s tail! Calm down discovery jars like this glittering mermaid tail sensory bottle can be used for portable no mess safe sensory play, calming an overwhelmed child, and helping children learn to self-regulate. They are just as effective for adults.
For more information about sensory bottles and their uses check out Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101.
How to Make a Glittering Mermaid Tail Sensory Bottle
Gather the mermaid tail glitter sensory bottle supplies listed below and follow the easy step by step directions to make your own glittering mermaid tail.
Mermaid Tail Sensory Bottle Recipe Materials
- VOSS Plastic Water Bottles (Mason jars and most bottles in the recycle bin will work.)
- Goo Gone
- Blue Glitter Glue or Clear Glue
- Big hexagon glitter in ice blue and green
- Fine and Flake Glitter (Can also use flake glitter from THIS SET and fine glitter from THIS SET or THIS SET)
- Liquid Watercolors
- 1-Quart Measuring Cup
- Super Glue
Related: Sea Shells Calming Sensory Bottle
Mermaid Tail Glitter Sensory Bottle Recipe Step by Step Directions
- Remove Lable from Voss Water Bottle and use Goo Gone to remove any sticky residue.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of super hot (boiling is best) water into a 1-quart measuring cup.
- Squeeze 1/3 bottle (2 oz) of blue glitter glue or 2 oz of clear glue into the hot water.
- Mix well with a whisk.
- Add pinches and shakes of hexagon glitter, flake glitter, and fine glitter in color combination of choice. The hexagons and flakes give the appearance of mermaid tail scales while the fine glitter fills out the bottle to make it look more like a mermaid tail. We used an assortment of blues, greens, and purples for the glitter sensory bottle pictured. Get creative and have fun making gorgeous glittering mermaid tails with the kids!
- Give it a final stir and quickly pour the mixture into your bottle. You may need to use your fingers to get some of the glitter into your bottle, but don’t worry about every last flake.
- Add a drop or two of liquid watercolors (not too much, a tiny drop goes a LONG way) to give your bottle a primary color. We used aqua-blue for this bottle.
- Place the lid on the mermaid tail bottle and give it a shake to see if you like it. Need more glitter or liquid watercolor? Add it in before topping it off with water.
Related: Rainstick Musical Sensory Bottle
Glittering Mermaid Tail Sensory Bottle Tips
Play with your mermaid tail glitter sensory bottle for a day or two to make sure you are happy with it before gluing it shut. Need more glitter? Add more! To learn everything there is to know about calming jars check out Sensory bottles 101.
Mermaid Tail Glitter Sensory Bottle
Both children and adults will love this gorgeous mermaid tail glitter sensory bottle recipe. Calm down bottles like this are most often used for portable no mess “safe” sensory play, to help calm an overwhelmed child, as a “time out” timer, or as a meditation technique for children. They are just as effective for adults.
To learn more about Rhythms of Play click on the link!
If you Liked This Glitter Sensory Bottle Recipe You May Also Like:
- Rainstick Musical Sensory Bottle
- Frozen-Inspired Snowstorm Sensory Bottle
- Kids Books That Teach Important Life Lessons
- Kids Yoga: Tips for Getting Started
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!