Glue or stick autumn leaves onto a bare tree to make this fun and easy fall tree craft. (First published August 20, 2018; this post is updated and republished to improve the content.)
Here’s a fun fall tree craft idea for kids and older adults. Make a fall leaf art collage this autumn with this simple step-by-step tree craft tutorial. This easy fall craft doubles as a fine motor activity for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, young elementary-aged students, and older adults. Making a fall tree collage helps strengthen the hands to prepare for writing or other more detailed handwork projects and helps keep them strong and mobile as they age. For more fall craft ideas look at this list of autumn nature crafts.
How to Make a Fall Tree Art Collage with Autumn Leaves
First, use our printable bare tree art template or invite children to draw or paint their own autumn tree to make this easy fall craft. Next, invite children from toddlers to teens to create a beautiful autumn tree art collage with construction paper leaves, real leaves, or even fall leaf stickers. Scroll down for the step-by-step instructions to make this easy fall craft! You might also enjoy this list of fall art projects and painting ideas for kids.
Fall Tree Craft Supplies
- Printable bare tree art & craft template or hand-drawn (or painted) bare tree
- Choose one of the following collage craft supplies:
- Glue stick
Related: Fall Nature Crafts
Related: Winter Tree Art Project
Autumn Tree Fall Leaf Craft Step-by-Step Directions
This fall leaf collage is a fun and easy fall tree art project for kids or adults. First, invite children to draw or paint their own autumn tree or use our fall tree art template to make this easy fall tree craft.
Next, place construction paper and a leaf paper punch, autumn leaf stickers, or preserved fall leaves onto the bare fall tree to make this easy fall art collage. Find the complete step-by-step tutorial for this fall art project and all the necessary craft supplies below!
Related: Apple Tree Button Craft
1. Download and print, draw, or paint a tree without leaves.
- Print the bare tree craft template, or invite children to draw or paint a bare tree.
2. Gather the remaining fall leaf collage materials.
- Gather real autumn leaves, fall leaf stickers, or a small leaf punch and construction paper in an assortment of fall colors.
- We used this small oak leaf punch and red, orange, and yellow construction paper to make our fall leaf art collage shown in the photographs. However, small maple leaves or birch leaves would be just as lovely.
- Another idea is to use small cut or torn pieces of construction paper, or tissue paper in assorted autumn colors to make this fall tree collage craft.
Related: Glowing Leaf Lanterns and Luminaries
3. Use a small leaf punch and construction paper to make fall leaves (optional).
- Skip this step if you are using fresh or preserved autumn leaves or fall leaf stickers to make this autumn tree art collage.
- Invite kids to use a small Mable, Birch, or Oak leaf paper punch to make leaves for their autumn tree art project, or prepare them in advance.
- Using a paper punch is a fun hand-eye coordination activity for kids and older adults and can also help children increase grip strength.
Related: Fall Leaf Crowns for Kids
4. Invite children to glue or stick autumn leaves onto the fall tree craft.
- Use a glue stick or white glue to attach real fall leaves or construction paper leaves to the autumn tree craft.
- Or peel and stick autumn-themed stickers with leaves, squirrels, acorns, pumpkins and more.
- Making a fall tree collage is a great activity to help toddlers and preschoolers develop fine motor skills to prepare for writing.
Easy Fall Leaf Collage for Kids
Make a fall leaf collage the easy way! Use a small leaf punch, construction paper, and our fall tree printable art template to create this simple fall tree craft.
Creating a fall leaf collage is a fun and easy fall craft for kids and adults. Making this fall tree craft is also an excellent fine motor hand-strengthening activity for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and the elderly!
For more autumn art ideas, check out this amazing collection of fall art ideas for children.
You might also enjoy our fall bucket list filled with fun fall activities for kids (and adults, too)!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If You Liked This Fall Tree Craft, You May Also Like
- Fall Books for Kids: Autumn Stories Children LOVE!
- Autumn Leaf Crown Craft
- The Best Nature Study Supplies for Kids
- Fall Leaf Counting Outdoor Nature Activity
- Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree
- Fall Leaf Lacing Beginning Sewing Project
- Leaf Lantern Craft