Here’s a button tree craft, that doubles as an easy fine-motor activity, and a teacher gift idea that kids can make. Invite children to make this apple tree craft with buttons–or almost any other art supplies or craft materials! (First published September 7, 2017; this post is regularly updated and republished to improve the content.)
Discover the delightful world of crafting with buttons with this enchanting apple button tree craft project for kids or adults! This creative endeavor merges the beauty of nature’s bounty with the charm of buttons, resulting in a unique and captivating piece of apple tree art. A button tree made with apple buttons is a fun fall craft and a unique apple-themed gift idea for a teacher. Look at this fun roundup of fall art projects for kids for even more autumn art and apple craft ideas!
Whether you’re working with preschoolers or are a seasoned crafter looking for a new DIY project, this cute apple button tree craft provides an easy way to bring the warmth of autumn into your home or classroom. My daughter and I made the button art tree in the photographs for this post after going on a field trip to an apple orchard. We had a blast learning and creating together, and our button apple tree crafts turned out gorgeous! You can see them in the photographs below.
How to Make a Button Art Apple Tree
Encourage children to make a button tree that looks like an apple tree with this fun fall craft idea for kids. Gluing buttons to make this apple tree craft can help preschoolers and kindergarteners strengthen their fine motor muscles to help prepare them for writing, and more advanced handwork activities, such as sewing a button.
Invite children to make a button art tree with this fun apple-themed activity for kids. Or, teach children how to sew a button tree with the same buttons used for this apple craft project. (Click the link for the hand-sewn button tree DIY project details.)
To begin this easy apple craft idea, gather an assortment of colorful buttons that mimic the hues of ripe apples like those suggested in the craft supply list below. Next, download and print the tree craft template. Or sketch the outline of a tree trunk and branches on a canvas, linen paper, or heavyweight cardstock.
Then allow your artistic instincts to take over as you carefully arrange and glue buttons onto the paper to create the crown of the apple tree. Transform them into a bountiful harvest of apples with each button you place. The tactile sensation of arranging buttons and the visual satisfaction of seeing your button tree come to life is a treat for the senses and an opportunity to unwind and let your imagination flourish.
Apple Tree Craft Supplies
- Assorted green buttons
- Multi-colored apple buttons, colored wooden apple buttons, red apple buttons, or an assortment of red and green buttons.
- FREE Apple tree craft template
- Linen printer paper or cardstock (linen printer paper looks like a canvas and is featured in the photographs above and below)
- Rustic photo frame for completed button apple tree art (optional)
Alternatively, you can use red and green pieces of construction paper, tissue paper, yarn, pom-poms, or felt to complete your apple tree. Or make a tree with buttons or other craft supplies in autumn colors to complete the tree craft template for another fall craft idea. Look at this fun roundup of fall art projects for kids for more apple art and craft ideas.
How to make a Button Tree: Step-by-Step Button Art Instructions
Use this simple button tree tutorial to create a button art collage in the shape of an apple tree! Or try another art or craft supply to create an apple tree crown. You might also enjoy making a Four Season Handprint and Fingerprint Tree.
1. Draw or paint the base of an apple tree, or download and print the FREE Apple tree art template.
- Invite children to draw or paint the base of an apple tree, or download the free tree art & craft template and print it onto canvas paper or cardstock.
- The printable linen or canvas paper is pictured in the image on the right. Cardstock is featured in the apple tree craft photograph on the left.
2. Glue buttons above the base of the button tree trunk to create the crown of the apple tree.
- Create the crown of the apple tree with an assorted combination of green buttons and apple buttons. Or, use an alternative craft supply to complete the apple tree, such as construction paper, tissue paper, or tempera paint.
- Next, glue the apple buttons and the assorted green buttons (or alternative) onto the paper above the trunk to fill out the apple tree in whatever way suits your fancy.
Related: Apple Craft
3. Place the button tree craft into a frame (optional).
- Frame your button craft to hang it or give it away as a gift.
- We put the button apple tree that our daughter made into a gorgeous rustic brown photo frame and gave it to her teacher as an apple-themed teacher gift.
Related: Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas for Kids.
Apple Tree Craft and Gift Idea Kids Can Make
Once finished, hang this gorgeous apple tree art on the wall or give it to your child’s favorite teacher! You can also try teaching your children how to sew a button apple tree with the same buttons. Click the link to learn more.
For more fun fall arts, crafts, and activity ideas for kids, check out these fun fall activities with a printable fall bucket list.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If You Enjoyed This Button Tree Craft, You May Also Like:
- Fall Tree Craft
- Best Fall Nature Crafts
- DIY Acorn Marble Necklaces
- Calm Down Sensory Bottles 101
- Top Ten Thankful Trees for Thanksgiving
- Colorful Winter Tree Silhouette Art Project
- Four-Seasons Handprint and Fingerprint Art Tree
- Fall Leaf Crown